• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken Rockwell Axle

turnkey

What wold really look neat is ......2.5 ton....5 ton.....10ton....HET....Then my wifes mopid....That I would like to see ...I just have to get the old lady on board for the big MV buy.....All ready have the mopid.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny, when I bought my second M275 I got it from Bruce Kubu. At the time he has Jumbo the M125. When we arrived at the farm Jumbo was out. After prepping the little tractor that could, I pulled it up next to Jumbo. Think deuce compared to Zuk Samurai.

dezert ratt

All fixed, and so far the locker works great. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428813213.178127.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1428813227.676915.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1428813241.461116.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1428813252.844094.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1428813299.911424.jpg
The last pic is the 2 missing spider gears that were in the bottom of the housing. I had to scoop all the shrapnel out after draining the remainder of the gear oil.
If I have to do this again, next time I will buy new nuts and studs to bolt the chunk to the housing, instead of dealing with dirty and stripped threads.

Woodsplinter

Would somebody please explain what these "lockers" do? How many do you need for a deuce? Are they different from the front axle lock-out hubs?

Thanks! :)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Seems there would be a lot of wear on the tabs from them being spring loaded against each other in turms

Hainebd

The design has been in use for years. They are preferred over a Detroit locker in off road community. The more torque difference the harder it is to ratchet. They work good. Not recommend for front axles unless lock outs are used. You can't steer otherwise.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The design has been in use for years. They are preferred over a Detroit locker in off road community. The more torque difference the harder it is to ratchet. They work good. Not recommend for front axles unless lock outs are used. You can't steer otherwise.
The Grizzly is preferred over the Detroit?

spicergear

You have to learn how to drive with Detroit's (or Grizzly's). Driving normal with cause some interesting things to happen and most likely a bunch of pop's and bang's or a good solid bang felt through the chassis. When approaching a turn, like a hard right from one street to the next, lift and let the truck slow on the engine as you make the turn and the locker will stay open. The work by engaging when power is put to them through the driveline. Lift on a turn, less tire scrubbing and smooth turning. Accelerating through the turn and you'll bind up stuff and wait for the reactions. ;)

rustystud

The "Detroit Locker" was the first "Locker" unit made. The "Grizzly" and "Eaton" lockers are just different manufactures of the same thing ( actually Eaton bought out the Detroit Locker). The patent ran out years ago, so now anyone can make a Detroit Locker "Style" differential. I know most people don't care about the semantics of differentials and what is and is not a "locker" , but as a gear mechanic it really bugs me to hear people use the wrong terminology when describing different types of differentials . A "Posi-Traction" is not a "Locker" is not a "No-Spin" is not a "Torrington" or "Helical Drive" . They are each a different type of Limited Slip differential. It's like going up to a Mustang owner and saying "that's a cool looking 350 cid engine you have there" . If he didn't shot you on the spot he would at the very least tell you to get lost ! Or tell a Camaro owner that his 318 cid engine looks great. They are all engines, just not the same engines. Same with differentials.

rustystud

You have to learn how to drive with Detroit's (or Grizzly's). Driving normal with cause some interesting things to happen and most likely a bunch of pop's and bang's or a good solid bang felt through the chassis. When approaching a turn, like a hard right from one street to the next, lift and let the truck slow on the engine as you make the turn and the locker will stay open. The work by engaging when power is put to them through the driveline. Lift on a turn, less tire scrubbing and smooth turning. Accelerating through the turn and you'll bind up stuff and wait for the reactions. ;)
Never accelerate on a turn with a Locker differential ! Not unless you like to replace axles on a regular basis .

DavidWymore

Talked to another Ag customer Friday that said the deuces they used to use went through axleshafts a lot. I think the reason recreational users don't break them as much is because we don't use them as hard (over)loaded.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks