• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

broken starter bolt

Sportsmanfromkc

Any ideas or reason as to why the starter bolt closest to the drive shaft would break? It broke once earlier this year (start of summer) and just broke again this morning.

I did a search and the only thread i seen about broken starter bolts was talking about how to get it out after a bit was stuck in the broken bolt. Anyways, any help will be great. Thanks guys in advance.

Matt65

and before anyone ask, i dont have a bracket on the back of the starter. is this a parts store part or something i have to hunt for?

I would say this is why the bolt broke. Yes, the part number has been posted here a few times. There are different brackets for the 27 Direct Drive and 28MT Gear Redux starters.

I assume this is for a CUCV? -Adding your vehicle to your signature is helpful.

Sportsmanfromkc

this is what it looks like, know nothing about it, i am new to all the cucv stuff and was told by previous owner that the starter was replaced with a different one so not sure what i have...but again this pic is what mine looks like.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The diesel engines produce so much torque on startup that without the support bracket in place the main bolts will snap.

Two types of starters. old direct drive and newer gear reduction. Each has thier own bracket.

They are dealer items only but be aware that the direct drive bracket has been discontinued.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
this is what it looks like, know nothing about it, i am new to all the cucv stuff and was told by previous owner that the starter was replaced with a different one so not sure what i have...but again this pic is what mine looks like.
If your starter does look like the picture you posted you have the newer style gear reduction..

The bracket is available at the dealer. They also have the correct starter bolts.

GM 23502557 - bracket
GM 15544950 - starter bolt

You will also want a mounting bolt, a metric M8x1.25x20, available at most hardware stores.

Make sure you get a nut that attaches the bracket to the starter. No idea on that size as the starter isn't original.

Last edited:

Sportsmanfromkc

sorry if i was lost on my search, like i said didnt realize there was supposed to be a bracket there and when i seen that in a different post i figured that is what it was...thanks for being patient with a noob.

Tanner

The respondents are correct in that you need to use the correct torque on the bolts. And thread locker wouldn't hurt, as the engine likes to try & vibrate bolts loose.

Good luck!

'Tanner'

Sportsmanfromkc

The respondents are correct in that you need to use the correct torque on the bolts. And thread locker wouldn't hurt, as the engine likes to try & vibrate bolts loose.

Good luck!

'Tanner'
Put thread lock on the ones in there now, but will definitly do it again. Just gotta look up the torque for the bolts......I know, I know its in the tm. Lol

acesneights1

You have not used ether on it have you ? That can break them as well. The DD bracket can easily be fabbed. It's just a piece of angle iron bent. Snap On reverse drill easy outs work really good on broken bolts but beware, Sometimes the ear snaps off the block and then you are f'ed.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
And one more thing, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, I repeat NEVER, NEVER, NEVER reuse the starter mount bolts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks