• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

broken starter bolt

Hasdrubal

Interesting note about not re-using the starter bolts. I was not aware of this. Had to rebuild mine back in 2006 when it started grinding. Turned out the end bearing was worn so bad the shaft was no longer turning straight but wobbling all over the place. I simply reused the existing starter bolts, no torque values, just by feel. 6 years, 50,000 plus miles, 4000 plus crank cycles. Nothing wrong with it.

acesneights1

People have reused Headbolts successfully but it's not recommended. Look at it this way, maybe it worked for you but the next guy may end up with a broken engine block...

Tanner

I don't recall the starter bolts as being 'torque-to-yield' bolts, as many headbolts are. Headbolt stretch is a usual problem & thus the reason for tossing them & using new ones. Starter bolts should be fine for reuse, as long as they aren't stretch-bolts...

Another option is to drill the starter bolt heads & lockwire them in place after torquing to specs. But most people don't have the drill fixture for drilling lockwire holes & they also typically don't know how to properly apply a lockwire.

'Tanner'

Last edited:

acesneights1

The ones that broke on me were not from coming loose. They broke and the rear support was on. The starter bolts are not TTY but they can fatigue. Think of it as cheap insurance..

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks