• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken starter both problem

rfischba1

Any suggestions on how to remove a broken starter bolt, now that my bit broke off in the bolt while trying to drill it out.
Is there a special harded bit I can use that will cut out the brobken bolt and bit?
Easy job turned ugly.:(

cleb

I actually took my old bolt out with a screwdriver, it was so loose. Carbide bit might make it thru the bit in there. Just another one of the joys of owning a 6.2. When your putting it back together make sure your starter has the support bracket on the tail end.

mtn man

Broken starter bolt removal

I had the same thing happen... had a broke starter bolt about 1/4" inside block... I drilled the bolt and tried to use a ezout.... broke ezout in the bolt when trying to get broke olt out.... bad day... old bolt would not back out easily and the ezout broke trying to get it loose. I had to use a cold chisel to get the broken ezout out of the bolt that was still in the block. Once the ezout was cleared out, I used a left hand drill bit from craftsman and finally got it loose... I bought new started bolts at GM dealer- # 15544950 and added the rear bracket # 23502557 for my gear reduction starter. No trouble since with new bolts and the rear bracket. Rear bracket uses a M8 1.25 (fine thread I think that is size) bolt to hold it to block. bought this bolt at Lowe's