• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BTR-40 questions

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That BTR is David Wang's. He does a LOT of truck business with the movies, worked with him on one here a while back. It is too horrible a movie for me to admit participation, and only my M813's wheels made it into the final cut (seen from inside a bus).

That BTR is also the one I passed up when it was for sale locally for $6k because I didn't think I could afford it at the time. (We need an icon for kicking oneself in the posterior...).

Cheers

EZFEED

Ah well thats good to hear! Was worried T was getting rid of his LOL! :)

Now you've perked my curiosity, I gotta know now Rory LOL!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, lest I get any more PM's asking if it was the MV rap video (carrumba, no!) it was Stoploss.
When Paramount first approached me (and Sarge) we said no because we didn't like the story line. Then they started talking money. Well, lets just say they have deep pockets... :roll:
For all that driving back and forth and round and round, take after take, NONE of it was in the final cut except my wheels out the bus window at the end of the movie. Sarge's 1009 was in the trailer shown on TV, but not in the movie itself. But we got their money!

Cheers

m5040

Wonder how bad it is when they say "but it never made it to the big screen. It did not pass the speed test". With that power to weight ratio, can it even keep up with traffic? Can it exceed 40 mph on flat ground?

Tascabe

Trust me - if I was not making 2 house payments right now - I would be going after this BTR-40 as well.

That way I could have a pair:)

As for road speed - not sure what thier issue was/is.

I drove mine the 105 miles from my old house to my new one.

Did ~50mph most of the way just fine.

In fact - outran my UniMog 404S in some places:(

It is not a racecar - but for a 1950s vintage military vehicle - armored at that - I am happy with a 50mph cruising speed.

Gets decent gas mileage too ~10-12 mpg

EZFEED

Good to hear Tascabe!!!!:p

Dude I've been saying that about "some" of these foreign MV's.....some are quite remarkable!
10-12mpg is great given the tonnage and 50mph cruising speed. Now just think what you could do if you added an MSD system, did a little manifoild and carb work, and other little tweaks. You might even get up to 15 or 20mpg. Maybe pull the Dodge engine, save it, and swap in a little 4cyl turbo diesel....just imagine that :D
I'm getting 14-15mpg @ 45-50mph and I'd say that was pretty good for an 11.5 ton truck.

What's your BTR weigh in at T?????

Tascabe

Seller said 11,700 lbs - seems about right - I have not weighed it myself.

Only thing bad is that it has the larger GAZ-66 tires which hurts the turning radius and load carrying ability.

BTW - could probably use your Jazerka this year. There is some possibility for Blue Air:(

Tascabe

Wow - somebody just got an awesome deal

That BTR-40 only went for $12k !!

Maybe I should have went ahead and bid.:roll:

Less than half of what I paid for mine - man that made the bottom drop out of my stomach:cry:

Do we know who got it?

Augdog1964

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum, but my wife bought the BTR-40! I'm looking forward to sharing info. with other BTR owners... we've been collecting AFVs for a long time... look forward to talking with you all. Always looking to buy armor...

Dave & Mary Bane

duncan

Hey, welcome on board! Please (or we shoot the kitten) share some pictures of said AFV collection :jumpin: Im guessing you dont list a t34 in your signature for nothing. Did I say welcome :roll:

Tascabe

And in Indiana!!

You are rather close to me- all things considered.

We shall have to plan a East Bloc vehicle meet in the midwest sometime.[thumbzup]

Aswayze

What you should do Augdog is arrainge to be hauling it back to your place along I-70 between March 13-21st and stop off at East Wind with it along the way home. I am sure Brett's BTR-40 would appreciate a little backup and I am sure you would have a good time as well. East Wind is all of about 35 miles north of I-70 this time around. Not many chances to fight side by side with another BTR-40 these days.

Augdog1964

What's going on at Haspin? I've passed that place a million times...

Just about 15 miles away... love to take the tank down, but moving that thing is a BEAR at 40 tons!

Dave

kcimb

Wow, augdog that was a super steal. I was hoping it wouldn't make the reserve so I could shoot david an email later with an offer, eBay is blocked here.

I've been saving for a few years... Couldn't beleive how low it went.

Have you learned Russian yet? They drive best when you do....:p

Tascabe

Actually - the modified BTR-40s needs Hebrew commands:)

It would be very cool if you wanted to hit East Wind on your way through.

I am thinking that it would be a rare event to have two operational BTR-40s working together again in the US.

duncan

I am thinking that it would be a rare event to have two operational BTR-40s working together again in the US.
And when you're speaking either russian or hebrew while driving them, Im sure the cold war scares will come right back to people :mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks