• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BTR-40 questions

Augdog1964

Russian T-34

Great info... I'll be there!

Ok many of you have asked, here's a picture of the wife's T-34... runs great, beautiful to behold... a real beast! She has a registered main gun, and we're subcal-ing it for 40mm... I REALLY NEED AN 85MM CASE IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE TO FIND ONE!

We are going to add some turret markings this summer, upgrade the battery trays as well... and change all the fluids. She'll look good next to the BTR-40.

Later!

Dave Bane

T-34/85
BTR-40

Looking for T-55/T-72/Ural/BTR-152/BDRM/BMP-1

Attachments

Tascabe

And when you're speaking either russian or hebrew while driving them, Im sure the cold war scares will come right back to people :mrgreen:
Probably - though if the rest of East Wind did not scare them that would not even phase them:)
We field a Russian and an East German unit - uniforms, radios, tents and some vehicles - you name it. As close to being in the Warsaw Pact armies as it gets.

I hope to finally get my BTR-40 painted in RAL 6003 green in the next couple weeks. The East Germans are looking forward to their new SPW-40:)

Having some issue finding somebody to mix the paint in a Matte finish and correct color though.
May have to settle for close enough right now so it will be ready for the event in March and get the correct stuff ordered from Europe later.

saddamsnightmare

February 14th, 2010.

AUGDOG:

I'll bet that tank did really well in last weeks snowstorm..... That is one very cool machine, I'll bet the story of how it got here would be worthy....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:driver:

Augdog1964

The story...

Ok, don't anyone kill me over this, but this is what I was told by the second owner, who got it from the original...

The original owner was the son of a high ranking career soviet army higher up. His family defected during the cold war, and he had something to do with T-34s and the armor corps. in Russia. When the wall came down the man's son wrote to the Russian consulate in Washington D.C. and said how if there was ever an opportunity to obtain a Russian T-34 for himself and his father they would gladly jump at the chance. He went on to detail his father's career etc.

Approx. 8 months later the man receives a call from the Port of NJ that there was a tank on the dock for him. Surprised, he dug into it and found that the Russian govt. in an attempt to heal wounds of the Cold War, had shipped his family this tank in recognition of his father's service. Luckily it had diplomatic papers with it, and approvals were given to bring it into the country... something that probably would be impossible today without a LOT of red tape.

The gun is intact as is the breechblock... registered of course. Well that's the story... could be a load of crap, but that's what I was told.

Later!

Augdog

Tascabe

So - finally got the BTR-40 painted a couple weeks ago.

Could not get the RAL 6003 in matte since I waited too late before EW3 to get it done.

Had paint color matched to a model paint called 'Russian Armor Green' after trying several similar colors as well.

Did not turn out too bad after all though.

And with the East German net spread over it for concealment:)

She goes on her first full mission under my command in a few days. Our 9-day event starts on Saturday.
So in a little over a week I will have some pics of it full of East German NVA troops:)

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks very nice!

Would you consider posting your actual pictures, rather than links? The reason being that after a while most of these links die and we lose the pictures (look in some older threads and you will see what I am talking about). It would be nice to preserve your pictures on the site for as long as it is around (pretty healthy, so I anticipate that being a long time:p).

Cheers

Tascabe

Will have to size them down - tried to upload but they were too big.

When I get the pics from our event up I will go back and upload these too.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will have to size them down - tried to upload but they were too big.
Since I am a tech-tard, I do what Sarge taught me. Open a picture in paint, under "Image" on the toolbar use "Stretch/Skew" and reduce the image to the percentage needed to make it around 100kb when saved. Very quick and easy (essential for me).
We'd love to see your vehicles 'in action'.

Cheers

duncan

Tascabe

OK - so just got back from picking up the BTR - had trailer troubles last weekend when coming home.
So 9 more hours of driving one of the Deuces up there and back to get the BTR home again.

But it is home now and it did get used some for the event. It was fun driving it around and seeing it full of troops:beer:

Here are the first batch of pics I have.
There are others without snow but those are getting developed (yes people still use film sometimes :) )

That last one is of me driving it down the road to a friend's house that lived near where the trailer tires blew out - lucky for us it happened close to someplace I could store the BTR for a week.

Attachments

Tascabe

I think they make great accessories as well[thumbzup]

BTW - went back and upload all the pics for this thread as attachments so they cannot be lost later.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think they make great accessories as well[thumbzup]

BTW - went back and upload all the pics for this thread as attachments so they cannot be lost later.
Thank you for putting the pictures in the post! [thumbzup] I have looked at lots of older SS posts with picture links that are dead and the pictures are lost to us.

I particularly like the shot driving down the road. For reasons I can't explain, that picture is just plain cool..:p

Cheers....R

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks