• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Building a Tank??

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Years ago when the first "Ripsaw" came out I got track fever. I emailed those guys and got the bums rush. They do not play well with others, especially since they have been on several TV shows and became a gooberment contractor....................
small updates and if one puts it youtube full screen it will just auto to the next video and on and on ................................
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfVXPSNXTAk

it's entirely possible they have gone quiet media-wise because of getting DoD contracts,
which was their aim in the beginning.

or if that does not work try
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1789&v=ZrF_ae_8BAo

well, it is a track
probably big $bucks ..........

Last edited:

L1A1

I think building something wheeled would be infinately simpler to build/make work than anything tracked.

But if you want to build a Panzer I (or PzII), go find a T16 as it's suspension is/was very similar to those tanks including the way the tracks looked.

The tracks used on those light tanks were cast if memory serves...But, it's been a few years. T16s were very popular with the logging industry (used as log skidders) and a common conversion was to cut off all of the armor above the tracks which would make what you want to do a little bit easier.

Another donor vehicle already mentioned is the M4 & M5 high speed tractors, used during & post WWII as prime movers for heavy artillery, they have a fully tracked suspension, rear mounted powerpack and usually can be had for not too much money. By using an already exsisiting lower hull, you could save a lot of time,$$$ & headaches with your project.

Occationally, I get bitten by the "fab bug" but at least the vehicles that pique my fancy are wheeled (M20,V100, SDKFZ221,233,LAV25). Haven't acted on any impulses but then again, the ferret resto does keep me finacially strapped.

If I can help even if it is just rendering advice let me know.
Matt

Another Ahab

I think building something wheeled would be infinately simpler to build/make work than anything tracked.

If I can help even if it is just rendering advice let me know.
Matt
You're right undoubtedly, but tracked machines have their own draw that overrides the intent to keep things "simple".

Can't explain it entirely, but armor is its own excuse; just because it's armor.

L1A1

Ahab
You're absolutely right & this is coming from a guy who owns a ferret & has owned an M59APC. BTW, how goes the hunt for that white whale? :naner:

Matt

L1A1

Whosoever of ye raises me that same white whale, he shall have this gold dubloon, my boys!

View attachment 557658
Call me Ishmael.......

back on topic!
I think it's been brought up before but unless you want the challenge of completely fabricating the entire tank, it would be a lot easier to buy the remains of a tracked vehicle and add your "new" upper hull. In Oz they refer to it as a "Bathtub" tank. Where everything above the tracks has been removed leaving a tub with the intact drive line. This was a popular conversion done by both the logging & mining industries. Checking areas where those industries had a great presence would be a good start. The pacific North West for logging & Nevada, Utah, Arizona for mining.

Matt

Another Ahab

This was a popular conversion done by both the logging & mining industries. Checking areas where those industries had a great presence would be a good start. The pacific North West for logging & Nevada, Utah, Arizona for mining. Matt
That's an interesting idea.

Colorado has had it's big mining days also (likely been a while, but Silverton comes to mind).

L1A1

That's an interesting idea.

Colorado has had it's big mining days also (likely been a while, but Silverton comes to mind).
There was also a lot of logging up in the great white North (Canada).

I think it was Seaco (sp?) down in Ga who did the conversions on M114s. Called 'em "timber tigers". There was another dealer over in Ohio who had a good many HSTs but that was a long time ago. No idea if he still has any or if he's even still around (Sam Winer-sp?).
Not sure if it is still on the air but there is/was a show on cable about logging companies. One of those companies was using a heavily modified Sherman lower hull as some sort of cable hauling device for it's timber operations.
Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks