• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Building a Tank??

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I was even thinking of contemplating the need for a piece of armor; i'd buy an old beat up half-track project for 2-7K. (or one of SECO's Sextons or M75 APC's) Then spend the next 15-20 years restoring it. That way when it was done (if ever) you'd have something you or your kids could resell in the future for some $$$$$.

Look here around post #25: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?17078-GA-area-junkyard-pic-s/page2

Last edited:

Another Ahab

My only concern about tackling something historic is accuracy. In doing something real, I'd want to be as accurate as possible. Where do I find plans and outlines and whatnot for tanks?? In the cabin and externally??
Hot Dog; you're going to do it right. This is going to be a sweet project.

Whichever way you go, you can count on a dedicated cheering section (which might not encourage you much, SilverCat, but it's what I got).

SilverCat

Hot Dog; you're going to do it right. This is going to be a sweet project.

Whichever way you go, you can count on a dedicated cheering section (which might not encourage you much, SilverCat, but it's what I got).
Well this thread is meant to figure out WHAT I want to do. It might be some time before it gets started. I'll take a cheering section once the project gets up and running though.

Another Ahab

Well this thread is meant to figure out WHAT I want to do. It might be some time before it gets started. I'll take a cheering section once the project gets up and running though.
WWI Vintage? Like a Renault (see attached), you got to figure the first tanks were probably the simplest (but that riveting might be a challenge):

Bovington_179_FT-17_1.jpg

SilverCat

I'm thinking it will be about the size of a general light take. The Renault looks neat. I still like that German light tank somebody mentioned.

Another Ahab

I'm thinking it will be about the size of a general light take. The Renault looks neat. I still like that German light tank somebody mentioned.
Like the Panzer Mk III?

Rommel, von Manstein, and Guderian reinvented war with this machine (despite the protests of all the Wehrmacht High Command, including Hitler). Now there's a machine with some history (see attached):

PzKpfwIIIH.Saumur.000a1y8q.jpg

Last edited:

SilverCat

Wow, that M59 IS one big machine. I'm not looking to build a giant. I COULD purchase, but I like to get into it. If I can make myself like something, then I'm INTO IT. And that shouldn't be so hard with military vehicles.

The Panzer III is indeed a fascinating tank. I also like the idea of that PZ-1 C.

Matt Kahle- It's neat that you are going to build one. Question is, WHERE ON EARTH do you find the parts that you can't personally fabricate?? The tracks?? The suspension system??

Not only are these tanks very good candidates, but I really think an original design would be cool also.

Matt Kahle

The suspension system is a leaf spring system is from a train's and as for the tracks I would forge them maybe buy rubber ones. SilverCat if you want to build a tank you must fabricate a lot of stuff for a tank that's the whole point not unless you wish to buy a tank. Well it wouldn't be the exact pz-1 c it would be a little different then the original one.

SilverCat

No of course, I understand that most of it must be fabricated, but some of it is just plain out of my ability to create, such as tracks, or an engine.

Another Ahab

Wow, that M59 IS one big machine. I'm not looking to build a giant. I COULD purchase, but I like to get into it. If I can make myself like something, then I'm INTO IT. And that shouldn't be so hard with military vehicles.

The Panzer III is indeed a fascinating tank. I also like the idea of that PZ-1 C.

Matt Kahle- It's neat that you are going to build one. Question is, WHERE ON EARTH do you find the parts that you can't personally fabricate?? The tracks?? The suspension system??

Not only are these tanks very good candidates, but I really think an original design would be cool also.
You need to connect with JerseyHick. Have you seen his Hot Rod Deuce? http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=115161&goto=newpost

THAT could be a killer project collaboration. Like a Low-Rider, m4 Sherman-style or something similarly Krazy.

Last edited:

SilverCat

Haha, low rider-light tank. Sounds interesting. I'm sure his skill level is WAY WAY above mine. I have to use a buddy of mine's equipment to build anything in the first place.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SilverCat: Have you thought about building a replica Kettenkrad? The real ones are insanely expensive and very rare. In my opinion, the coolness factor of a Kettenkrad is a 9.9/10. It's small, and might be a little more manageable than taking on a fresh design of a light tank. Also, the WWII German Reenactors would go bat crazy if they found out they could purchase a Kettenkrad replica. If I had the time, money, and skill, I would love to develop a replica and sell it to the reenactor community.

Excuse Me

I do not know the physics word for it, but if you fix the drive sprocket to the hull structure and suspend the mid rollers, you will have to have a track chain slack tension device that can take up the slack during suspension compression and release the slack during suspension extension. Then.......when reversing direction, said tension device will have to work against the power applied to the track chain as well as suspension action. IMO.

If this tank does not have to be a direct copy of something, it would be far easier to suspend the entire track frame and undercarriage as a complete unit.

You will also have to take into consideration the ratio of sprung and unsprung weight.

It's not a tank, but I built this rig back in 2002. The track tension system is active hydraulics and works equally with forward drive and reverse drive.
donzilla..jpg

Another Ahab

It's not a tank, but I built this rig back in 2002. The track tension system is active hydraulics and works equally with forward drive and reverse drive.
Now we're talking. Excuse Me's got the idea here. In the classic words of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth:

- Fink Outside Da Box

ODFever's Kettenkrad is also another great idea (and even a step further: a Hot Rod Kettenkrad)

Any interest going in any of these directions?

international-fire-engine-08.jpg1934-ford-coupe-rat-fink-party-06.jpgbigdaddyroth.jpg

Last edited:

SilverCat

Now that would be something, a kettenkrad. A hotrod Kettenkred nonetheless.

Excuse me- You've got a good idea going there. That's a neat design. Where do you get the tracks??