• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Building a Tank??

Matt Kahle

Well then Patracy what would you do for tracks? I'm a big fan of t-34 tracks I like tracks that can be repaired unlike the rubber tracks from a cat equipment.

SilverCat

I have the location to use it. Many of the construction items listed above are owned by a buddy of mine and shouldn't be an issue. I'm not going to be doing any casting probably.

Has as anyone checked out that DARPA vehicle forge program??

Another Ahab

Here were a Chinese man build his own home made tank .

And one of a Russian that does the same thing.
Both nice items, though the Chinese version looks like it might involve fiberglass (which just isn't real armor), BUT still that's a nice machine.

And I'm loving the Russian program of trading "Track for Crack": building armor to get the local kids off drugs. How great is that?!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll admit I haven't paid any close attention to tank tracks but I've never seen a piece of construction equipment with casted tracks. All I've ever seen were forged. I wouldn't think cast tracks would be strong enough.

I'm good friends with a guy that owns a forging company but I still think it would be much cheaper just to buy tracks than it would be to either build or buy a mold and forge them yourself. Molds are usually very expensive. I talked to him one time about forging towbar parts and he knew a guy that had the milspec molds but it was still going to be very expensive unless you did a very large run. He used to have the government contract to make front shackles for deuces and 5-tons.

datadawg

Is it possible to find an old Soviet tank and buy it for scrap and a few bottles of Smirnoff? I can't imagine it makes sense to build a tank, unless your time is worthless (or valueless) OR you simply enjoy doing this kind of "work" so much that rational/economic calculus is irrelevant. I am sure some Soviet tanks are sitting in fields now, waiting. I shudder to think of logistics though in importing something like that.

Last edited:

SilverCat

I know for a fact that it's a bit under $4000 to ship a BRDM-2 sized vehicle from The Czech Republic to Houston Texas. Also, don't you just need to fill out forms or whatnot and be approved to have one shipped in??

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everybody wants a tank from the time they are old enough to talk. The reality is that they are very expensive to own and operate though and their use is very limited.

I would imagine building one would be equally expensive (if not more), not counting all the man hours you'll have involved. Sure, I could build something out of plywood that would look pretty good at 100' but to build one that is remotely identical to a real tank is going to take some major cash.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a 3d printer.

Another Ahab

Just get yourself a big air compressor and one of these - fake as you can get: l
Kind of like the "Quaker Guns" used to fool McClellan by General Johnston in 1861.

Or one of these, which I think was from Operation Fortitude (prior to the Normandy Landings).

Guaranteed rust free!

m4 Inflatable.jpg

Last edited:

SilverCat

Haha, I think I'll go a little bit more real than a blow up tank. I have read about those fortitude tanks though.

I am more of a Civil War kinda guy though.

Another Ahab

Haha, I think I'll go a little bit more real than a blow up tank. I have read about those fortitude tanks though.

I am more of a Civil War kinda guy though.
I hear you. And I think there were other Quaker Gun stories besides Johnston's but I can't recall any others right now.

Anyway, rooting for you strong on your tank idea. It's hard not to like armor. How about tackling something like a 3/4 or 1/2 scale reproduction of something historic?

Maybe something like a British Mark V (see attached). It's kind of fundamental, which might make the work easier:

305px-British_Mark_V_(male)_tank.jpg

vettes

The panzer 1 is a smallish tank. I have seen guys take a bren gun carrier and convert it using 1/4 inch plate. Brens are pretty easy to find. Also if a high speed tractor (m4-5) is too costly what about a regular bull dozer? after all, all you want is the lower half anyway and im sure there out there cheap

SilverCat

My only concern about tackling something historic is accuracy. In doing something real, I'd want to be as accurate as possible. Where do I find plans and outlines and whatnot for tanks?? In the cabin and externally??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks