• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Building a Tank??

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I would be asking yourself why? Why reinvent the wheel? It will not be cheaper in the long run for two reasons; built cost will be more than you realize, and it will not appreciate at all like something real. Real armor appreciates. Replica stuff does not. Plus, you spend all your time telling everyone its not real. No fun in that. Just ask anyone with a kit car Ferrari. Or a German reenact or with a FV432 Stug III. Gets old real fast.

You want a bargain in this realm, there's a beautiful 2/3 scale Merkava MBT replica on www.armyjeeps.net No connection, just saying.
I actually had been looking at that one, until I asked for interior shots to be posted. I also found a video on youtube of it in action. It's very sharp, sitting still. But when it moves, well....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few questions you may need to answer to succeed.

What's your budget?

What do you want it to do?

What is your skill level?

What is your time frame for completion?

I kinda think that if you need to ask if you can, then you can't.

B3.3T

I agree, the Merkava replica certainly looks good standing still, but there is very little to it actually. Still, for a replica, this is pretty common.

SilverCat

A few questions you may need to answer to succeed.

What's your budget?

What do you want it to do?

What is your skill level?

What is your time frame for completion?

I kinda think that if you need to ask if you can, then you can't.
I can answer all of those questions. I also believe that I can with help and lots of time. I asked because I am unfamiliar with some of this and wondered if it was a viable thing for people to even do. I see that it is quite possible now though.

My budget- Well if I prolong this project, then I can use money as it becomes readily available.
Want it to do- Well actually I'm still making up my mind on this one. APC?? MBT?? Small, light, slow, strong?? I'll figure it out.
Skill- Not a great deal. I'm great with some mechanics and construction and whatnot, but I haven't done a whole lot with vehicles, and I'm certainly no good with wires right now. I do however have a good friend who can do practically anything with vehicles, mechanics, wiring, anything really. I will have help.
Time Frame- Unlimited Almost. I can prolong a project as long as I need to, which is what will likely happen.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post pics as you make progress.

SilverCat

I surely will, but that won't likely be happening for awhile. I've got work ahead of me. I'd like input though.

APC type thing, or MBT type, or something else????

Last edited:

SilverCat

I like that design. Yes, I think a light tank would be interesting, and easier.... I am unfamiliar with the way tracks work. Is there a site detailing this?? Along with suspension and whatnot??

Matt Kahle

Well it depends on what type of suspension you want and as for the tracks I"m no expert. My best friend and I love tanks that's why I recommended the pz-1 c that's the one me and my friend wanted to build when we get the cash. here's a little something on Christie's suspension http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uMX4Ca015w I don't think I would use this on the pz-1 c. That type of suspension was used on the famous T-34 tank and other Russian tanks. The pz-1 c used leaf suspension if you want to use the christie's suspension try to build a A-20 which was a Russian prototype of the t-34. The t-34/A-20 tracks are wide good for the mud and snow.

SilverCat

Hmm. Good links, thank you.

One big question: Where on earth do generally find parts for these?? There are definitely parts that I couldn't have fabricated. Such as tracks!! I have found a set of OT-180 and OT-90 tracks on the net, but that is it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You might want to start looking at a lot of tank or even bulldozers for the basis of track systems. You might also want to just find a track system from an existing platform. There's just simply so many moving parts, each one of them is a point of failure.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
More things you need to think about...

1. Do you have a location to operate it?
2. Do you have a vehicle/trailer to transport it?
3. Do you have sufficient lifting equipment to lift it? Do you have a means to repair/reinstall a throw/broken track?
4. Do you have means to pull the powerpack out of the hull if need be?
5. Do you have a welder (type would be determined by the type of work)?
6. Do you have a cutting torch, drill press, grinders, drills (a mag drill, even I don't have one but I've decided I WILL get one soon), cut off saw, and other metalworking tools?
7. Do you have a lathe and mill or at least someone that can build parts for you?
8. What kind of electrical experience do you have? Do you have a multimeter and other basic electrical gear?
9. Do you have a Tractor Supply/Home Depot/Lowes/Auto Parts store/Semi Parts store/Equipment sales-repairs nearby? (I speak from experence, you WILL visit these places frequently, to the point they know you by name and card number!)
10. Have you done any smaller project where you're not building a vehicle from scratch, but something that requires some fab work? (Engine conversions, drivetrain swaps, exc.)

Just trying to give you a few things that are abstract from your topic, but very much related from my experiences.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You could fabricate track I have seen t-34 tracks on ebay you can forge them if you have one to began with sand molding.
I do a little basic metal work (cutting, drilling, welding, exc.). But casting? Whew, that's a LOT of work/time/expenses.

Matt Kahle

Casting is a lot cheaper then buying tracks believe me I have done the research on tanks and buying tracks is a lot of money if you can cast the original is better then bulldozer tracks.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Casting is a lot cheaper then buying tracks believe me I have done the research on tanks and buying tracks is a lot of money if you can cast the original is better then bulldozer tracks.
If you say so. I can say that what I've studied, I'd have concerns with QC in casting tracks due to imperfections/variables/tolerances in the casting process a small scale home smelter could produce. If it was something to just cast for viewing, sure. But to subject it to operation, ehhh.......

As to the cost, are you also factoring in your fuel with the materials?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Years ago when the first "Ripsaw" came out I got track fever. I emailed those guys and got the bums rush. They do not play well with others, especially since they have been on several TV shows and became a gooberment contractor.

Someone mentioned using the running gear out of a Bobcat. I have always thought you could make a pretty cool one man tank out of one of those. Build a steel hull around it. Remove the bucket and arms and use the hydraulics to operate a remote turret with any number of cool weapons mounted on it. The are quick and turn on a dime. You would rely more on speed than armor to survive a firefight. The plus to using one is that the engine and drivetrain is already in place and would require little or no modification.

On the other hand if you wanted to start from scratch I'd consider a hybrid diesel electric set up using electric motors. One motor to power each track (eliminating a transmission and differential). You could have enough battery storage to operate in stealth mode for a few miles. Since you prob don't have the resources to cast the hull you would have to weld it out of steel or aluminum. Steel is heavy, thick aluminum is expensive. If you build it from scratch make sure you consider how easy it is to access every component for service and replacement.

If speed is not an issue you might consider up armoring an older dozer if you just want a tracked vehicle. With some cosmetic work you could make it look like a real tank from a distance.

Just my rambling thoughts for what their worth.

Another issue is transportation and driving it around (if that's your intent). Tanks have lousy visibility from the drivers point of view. The Tank Commander has the best view but if you are going to be the only crew member you might want to make it more driver friendly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks