• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Building Full hydro steering complete

bobbed_1971

Well we got my steering all done friday night its like driving my 06 ford powerstroke now.I will post pics of the build it was deff a pain in the A$$ to do to but was worth it.I took it out to my local mudhole yesterday it drives great on the highway even better offroad.Because you dont get beat to death by the steering lol.Anyways will post pics later tonight.

s1036s

Thanks for posting a new thread, if you have part numbers and prices etc< please post them up. Good to see people doing new things.

bobbed_1971

These are the pictures of the hydro steering complete. I also added a new horn button on the left side as shown. These were the before pictures.. I've painted the bracket since then and added some rubber around the firewall where it was cut. Will post a few updated pictures in a few days.

Attachments

baxter

Great job I have the hydro steering box and want to add an assist ram. I have talked to PSC and they seem to really know whats going on. A big thumbs up on the job.

Vaughn

bobbed_1971

Thanks guys it was a pain in the A$$ to do but was worth it in the end.And if you lose the pump or engine dies you can still steer it.Ive got about $2000 in it all together it wasnt cheap but worth it.

mudguppy

Very cool setup, however In Ohio full hydro steering is unlawful for highway use. ...
does your state laws mention hydraulic steering specifically? if it does, it'd be the first that anyone has been able to provide (that i can recall) to back up the 'illegality' myth.

bobbed_1971

Thanks man it steers great now how much was that visior for your truck.It cam from caveman trucks right im gonna buy a hard top soon so I want one for it.

JasonS

does your state laws mention hydraulic steering specifically? if it does, it'd be the first that anyone has been able to provide (that i can recall) to back up the 'illegality' myth.
I am 99% sure that it WAS illegal in SD. However, I can't find the old motor vehicle code book. It appears like the consensus is that there must be a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front axle. However, Chevy had the quadrasteer in their pickups and I can't imagine that there was a mechanical link to the rear axle.

mudguppy

...It appears like the consensus is that there must be a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front axle. However, Chevy had the quadrasteer in their pickups and I can't imagine that there was a mechanical link to the rear axle.
unless there is an official letter of interpretation, concensus doesn't mean anything. all of the codes that have been posted up detail performance criteria; this criteria can be met by a properly designed hydro system. not saying that some states may specifically mention "mechanical linkage", but i can't recall any being definitive.

and, yes, the Cheby Quadrasteer was an electro-mechanical setup that uses a spring-return-to-center system, but is control 'by wire.'

mudguppy

... how much was that visior for your truck.It cam from caveman trucks right ...
yep, Jim makes them. honestly, i think it looks weird seeing trucks without one. plus, it's functional as hel.

i'm not sure how much he charges for the visors. i wanted to say that someone contacted him and posted that he wants $250 for them, but i really don't know.

give him a ring!

JasonS

unless there is an official letter of interpretation, concensus doesn't mean anything. .'
You misinterpreted my post. My intent was to state that there seems to be a common belief that the law requires a mechanical connection and yet an OEM has produced a vehicle wihtout said connection. This implies that these law(s) no longer exist.

mudguppy

You misinterpreted my post. My intent was to state that there seems to be a common belief that the law requires a mechanical connection and yet an OEM has produced a vehicle wihtout said connection. This implies that these law(s) no longer exist.
ah, yes to both accounts: i misinterpreted your post and i agree on the 'concensus' without legitimate supporting documentation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks