• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Burning B20 in my M1009

OL AG '89

o.k. so this idea of saving money is intriguing.....
What is the difference per gallon in your area between ULSD and B20?
I hven't considered bio anything yet, but as diesel goes above 3.30 around if the savings are there...... I'm gonna reconsider

cfish

I noticed on ebay that theres a company that sells IP's. And in their add they claim that there rebuild has been done to accept bio diesel and jet fuel.

transman

Been useing "b100" that I make myself and have not had any fuel related problems (except for cold weather clouding) in 10+ years. unless you count an IP shaft seal failure at 200+k "fuel related" The first few tankfuls will be hard on filters due to the the detergent action of the bio.

Atwater

never knew there was a producer in NY. do they sell to the general public or do you have to have a commercial account? some day ill finish my JD R and would love to do some dyno testing with bio vs ulsd. little to far away to make it practical for daily use with the m1008:-(

xenocath

searching.............
did a search for virginia and its mostly available at the woodfin watch card services and they don't give price from what i can see. looks to be a fleet fueling service don't know if available to general public or not.

dittle

What I've seen happen when running older vehicles on B20 or any bio-diesel is that it will clean out the inside of your tank/lines so carrying spare filters is a must. Just ask Wreckerman what happens when you clean the inside of your tank out.

cfish

I have a bunch of places that are close to my location of work. Called a few of them. Seems Bio runs about $.15 more a gallon here.

mangus580

never knew there was a producer in NY. do they sell to the general public or do you have to have a commercial account? some day ill finish my JD R and would love to do some dyno testing with bio vs ulsd. little to far away to make it practical for daily use with the m1008:-(
We are the only producer in NY.

We primarily sell to distributors, but we do help out when people are traveling through and are looking for some....

pacebm

I think you will be fine on your hoses for a while anyway. I agree on carrying extra fuel filters becasue the Bio will act as a solvent and plug your filters pretyy quick over the first few tanks. All the paraffin and asphaltines in your tank and fuel system will be washed out so expect regular filter changes. After that, it should run with no problems.

bshupe

I was reading on a site that is strictly about diesel and BioD that part of the Mil-spec for CUCVs is multi fuel capability for the eventuality that normal fuel sources became unavailable. Says them- this has been in the military's plans since WWII and so the fuel lines used on these trucks are capable of running up to and including kerosene etc. If this is the case then even running B100 is not going to be an issue including the IP seals etc. I would hold the input from members on SS in higher regard than where I read this so I thought I would put it up for consideration and/or target practice.

Naturally, I dont want to be the guy that has to come back and post here that running B100 made the fuel lines fall off while driving down the road or worse down the off road. :grin:

I have one BioD station in my (smallish) town and they sell B20 & B100 (B75 in the winter). I would like to use it if for no other reason then it will keep things clean and lubricated better than the ULSD. My local BioD distributor recommends using additives called "Diesel Kleen" and "Power Service Diesel 911". Does anyone have any experience with additives and BioD, good or bad?

Thanks for this thread, its a great line of conversation!

jwaller

I've never heard of any of the 6.2's being capable of multifuel. I know they will burn it as any diesel will but I've not seen it in the TM's or anything.

bshupe

Does anyone know what the spec fuel line is? I didnt see a specific reference in the TM but maybe if the specific type was known it could be cross-referenced somehow.

Pawnshop

As far as I know B20 or lower will not harm an un modified fuel system. All of the Wal-Mart fuel stations in my area sell what they claim is B20 (actually the sticker says "up to" 20% bio) and I know from a friend who hauls fuel that theirs is mixed in the delivery truck, the driver fill his truck 80% full with diesel then goes to the bio source and tops off, then delivers to the stores, so the mix is not 100% "scientific", hence the "up to" on the sticker.

I have been running Wal-mart B20 in my M1009 (daily driver) and M1028 (show truck) for a couple of months now with no noticeable affect other than a little loss of mileage (bio has less BTU per unit than diesel). I got 16.66 MPG on a trailer recovery to Ft. Worth about a week ago, not bad considering a 20mph head wind going up and a 600lb trailer coming back.

Around here B20 is the same price as regular diesel.

Pawnshop

More lubricious than standard diesel, I want my IP to last a looooong time!

As for the potential damage issue: I assume Wal-Mart has researched the problem ad decided to sell B20 ONLY, and they sell a LOT of it, if they were risking damaging customer vehicles (thereby costing the company a lot of money in repair claims) they would not do it.

Pawnshop

AND I want to support recycling waste oil and waste food into fuel. I am not sure what the B100 around here is made of but there is a plant in LaGrange making it from waste chicken fat from a food processor!

bshupe

So is the additional lubrication achieved with only 20% bio really all that different/better?

Im all for giving support to good things and with any luck the producers will provide their customers with a lower price over time as increased demand and the resulting production will increase efficiency and lower production costs.

I havent really seen anyone make a serious argument against changing out the fuel lines on their trucks but it seems to me that it would not be that big of a deal if the pay back is being able to run BioD up to and including B100...... what am I missing?

Does anyone know if there are modern rebuild kits or rebuilt IPs that will have seals and whatever that can take the BioD?

Pawnshop

I would not be a bad idea to upgrade to modern fuel lines, just in case, the worst that could happen would be that you might waste some money. My Brother in Law works for a dairy farm/bulldozer service that was buying B100 from the chicken fat company and using it straight in un modified equipment! They stopped because it corroded any steel parts it touched, I explained to him about mixing it and NOT using it straight, he understood, but I doubt his employer will (old Czechs are pretty hard headed...)

I am 100% diesel powered and have been for three years now, because I do NOT want to run Ethanol! ALL "gasoline" around here is Ethanol which causes problems in older or little used vehicles, and it is made from fresh corn which has driven up food prices and reduced food availability in some areas. Bio-Diesel is (or at least CAN be) made from waste or non food sources.

NO FUEL FROM FOOD!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks