• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a HEMTT across the country

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Grief you guys make me feel so very foolish when you put so much thought into the transportation to get your new rig home, I seem to get taken in by all the splendor and roses for making the purchase then I either need to spend a small fortune to get i to get it to me or like my two Unimog purchases went, I drove out and picked one up off the coast of Washington and the second I drove to NY and hauled that one home on a trailer, YOU guyw are a great example if I would ever be smart enough to listen!!!!

Karl

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Grief you guys make me feel so very foolish when you put so much thought into the transportation to get your new rig home, I seem to get taken in by all the splendor and roses for making the purchase then I either need to spend a small fortune to get i to get it to me or like my two Unimog purchases went, I drove out and picked one up off the coast of Washington and the second I drove to NY and hauled that one home on a trailer, YOU guyw are a great example if I would ever be smart enough to listen!!!!

Karl
After those 2 the M37 must have seemed like it was right around the corner.

Awol

It be pretty cool seeing some more HEMTTs around MA!

That thing would be pretty tight navigating around in Wakefield!

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leaning towards the one in Waco.

No title doesn’t appear to be a big issue, but this truck was supposed to be scrapped and wasn’t. Do they have a way to track if a truck actually gets scrapped or not?

Would also want to pay someone to check the truck out before I fly down or pay for transport back.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

No title doesn’t appear to be a big issue, but this truck was supposed to be scrapped and wasn’t. Do they have a way to track if a truck actually gets scrapped or not?

Would also want to pay someone to check the truck out before I fly down or pay for transport back.
PM Fuzzytoaster. That is his AO. sorta. No, they do a certificate of destruction on it usually. But I think one member here got a M984 awhile back and it had the frame cut and missing a nice chunk. Don't know the circumstances behind his but I would be ..... off.

Gunzy

If it was sold on a scrap sale it isn't supposed to ever be sold for it's intended purpose or have parts culled from it. I would recommend not buying it as you will likely not have a way of titling it and may be force to scrap it thus losing thousands of dollars in the process. Buy from someone who already has it titled and cleared for sale/reuse.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also keep in mind that to insure it as an antique you need to store it inside.
Ive had two insurance companies require this with photo evidence and they check
with google earth to see the building on your property.
There are a couple of classic insureres that don't require garaging. I'm not going to start naming them or I'd be in violation of the "no insurance talk" rules but anyone that wants to know can PM me. I've used both of them for my deuce and M1078.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it was sold on a scrap sale it isn't supposed to ever be sold for it's intended purpose or have parts culled from it. I would recommend not buying it as you will likely not have a way of titling it and may be force to scrap it thus losing thousands of dollars in the process. Buy from someone who already has it titled and cleared for sale/reuse.
It would be interesting to what comes with the information on this truck
when bikeman starts a new VIN info thread for 2018.There has to be some kind of turn in records .

Edit; Didn't the ones that were released to the public require a EUC and falls under the DOD control ?
Edit2; Since Texas offers bonded titles have the seller get a bonded title . Offer to split the costs with him , if he won't get a title i would run as fast as you can from the deal. Your looking at spending $30,000+ by the time you get it home , a few hundred for a bonded title is cheap . But if your willing to gamble $30,000+ the government will never catch that it wasn't de-milled and scraped , it's your money do as you wish .

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM Fuzzytoaster. That is his AO. sorta. No, they do a certificate of destruction on it usually. But I think one member here got a M984 awhile back and it had the frame cut and missing a nice chunk. Don't know the circumstances behind his but I would be ..... off.
This part of a listing for another scrap sale.

Title to the material does not pass to the buyer until the material has been Demiled/Mutilated.

The buyer will be responsible to provide a minimum of one employee to certify property has been mutilated according to the surveillance plan. See attached Surveillance Plan

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I emailed this seller awhile back on if this truck has a title , I got this reply today.

For what it's worth.

Are you wanting to drive it on the highway or just have a title? I am researching what it takes to get a title for it. I think I can get a bonded title for it

but it won't be able to allow for street.

bigred350

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased the M985 HEMTT from michigan about a month ago, cost me $2300 to ship it to CT. thats about 2.25 a loaded mile which I thought was a fair price. truck is registered and insured runs great, I will be changing all fluids and filters sense everything is dated 2013. with that being said does anyone have on hand part #'s for all the filters? thanks

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased the M985 HEMTT from michigan about a month ago, cost me $2300 to ship it to CT. thats about 2.25 a loaded mile which I thought was a fair price. truck is registered and insured runs great, I will be changing all fluids and filters sense everything is dated 2013. with that being said does anyone have on hand part #'s for all the filters? thanks
From 007 ?

gthensen

i have a M978 located in Phoenix.

They are expensive to ship. We paid about 3k to get it from Texas to AZ

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks