• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a M35A2 or M35A3?

Which is better an M35A2 or M35A3

• M35A2

Votes: 195 61.7%
  • M35A3

Votes: 121 38.3%

• Total voters

goodguyzy

here we go again, again. A2's have some issues, lacking power, tires, power steering. The A3 also has issues, low top speed, CTIS, tires (flat spots). Both share problems, leaks in cab, (not sealed well) both have good heaters but leaks keep it from getting warm on cold days. Soon we will be talking about the pros and cons of the FMTV. Both the A2 and A3 are good rigs, I really like towing with my A3. My A2 does better on the highway. This leads to my conclusion, both are not practical to drive on a daily basis. That's why im close to being done with my bobber, something that i can drive everyday and run on WMO, when i started last year i wouldnt of thought fuel would go up so fast but 10 cents a day rise gives me major mojo to get'er done.

mktopside

Banned
I respectfully disagree. It is never a good idea to divide and polarize the community. The diversity and the differing opinions make the site better, not worse, and offer the broader community a quick reference for the two comparisons (in this thread).

Next, you would have your A2 community, M-37, CUCV, etc. etc. and nothing good comes out of that. Anyway, I love the A3, but a deuce is a deuce.

Personally, I see the "fights" as an academic debate that no one will ever win.
It's kinda cool, if you're unbiased on the issue. They're both awesome!
A deuce is not a deuce anymore than a Ford F series is a Ford F series. There are serious differences between the trucks and there are VERY VERY few non-A3 owners than can answer questions with first hand knowledge about them. The trucks share a frame a cab, a transfer case, and a few other parts here and there. Other than that, there are are differences on every other part of the vehicle. Some mores than others, but there are differences.

Right now, A3 threads can't stay on topic because it's so rare to have other A3 owners posting in the same place, that every has to ask their important questions or else they loose the opportunity. Not to mention the guys who know nothing about the A3s, answering A3 specific questions with incorrect and sometimes dangerous info. I can point to a number of times in the past few months where an A2 guy was trying to be helpful, but was wrong; and if the OP would have followed their advice they would be looking at thousands in repair bills, or possibly be in the hospital. The more trucks that come out, the worse this is going to get.

I love this site, it's an amazing resource with a great group of guys. But if it doesn't get a better search function, or we don't get an A3 sub forum where useful and correct info can be saved; I'll probably start an A3 specific forum my self just so we can trade info and help each other without the signal to noise ratio of the general deuce forum. I'd really rather not do this.

A3 guys NEED other A3 guys to help them through A3 specific issues. There are so few of these trucks that were in service for such a short period of time, that the knowledge base just doesn't currently exist for them. It's not about avoiding arguments or the community, it's about needing a place to ask a stupid question and not worrying about getting an answer that will screw up your truck or get you hurt.

lonegunman

I did say in my post "nothing major". I was pointing out that your post about the MF not being in OTR trucks was pointless. You can argue back and forth about MF vs CAT all you want....apples and oranges. I do have to ask as you avatar doesn't state: have you ever seen, driven, or even been close to a MV since your such an expert? BTW I have

I had a choice of truck and I picked an A3. Unlike some in the A2 crowd I am not on here running them down 24/7 for their choice. I've logged thousands of miles in an A2 and opted for an upgrade. So I have actual experience with both trucks. That being said, I gained my experience in the military as opposed to the internet. What would my avatar have to do with anything? Do you think the guy with a cow's head for an avatar is a cow? :cookoo:

If I had a nickle for every snotty comment from some A2 guy who is painfully jealous he can't afford an A3 and a penny for every incorrect piece of advice or uttery wrong remark, my truck would have paid for itself three times over. If you added a dime for every new topic about an A2 driver who grenaded his turnip juice and fryer oil flyer I could buy a second house.

As we speak another new A2 owner has a seven page post going because the guts dropped out of his truck on the way home. I'm looking forward to hearing how the "magic toolbag" fixed his truck.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

LOL, this is turning into quite a soap opera. Lighten up gentlemen, it's only a truck;-) Many bigger issues out there to get all fired up about. You got your A3...good[thumbzup] Be happy:driver: Don't take everything so personal..LOL

Last edited:

sail-bum

I feel i need to throw my 2cents in. I own 2 M35A2 W/W, and am considering selling both and getting an A3. This is the reason for myself following this thread.

I will add this. I worked in dealership service departments for just under 20 years. I worked for the following: Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Volvo, Acura and lastly Lexus. I will state this as a cold hard fact, THEY ALL BREAK!

After a few years of thinking that every particular model was junk, you realize that you only see the broken ones. On this site we keep harping about the "blown up" multi-fuels and the CTIS systems that break down. For everyone that breaks, how many hundreds are we not hearing about? or for that matter thousands? Sure things break down, tires go flat and fluids leak. Wake up, they are all man made and require maintenance. If you buy a Rolls Royce the parts and service are going to cost more, but you should know that going in right? Same as an A2 vs A3 correct?

The A2's and A3's have seen different and varied service lives also, how many different mechanics worked on them? What was the quality of their maintenance? Does GL personnel know the differences and not cause additional damage to one or the other. Get what you like, you will enjoy it more if it is what YOU want and not what someone else thinks you should have.

If you go to a rally I would suspect you will see both, and people who love both and think one is better than the other. Have you ever been to a tractor pull? You have all of the on road truck brands there and they play well together.

Just my thoughts on the subject, carry on.

abh3

Got both, the A3 is just more useable for playing all the way around but I don't do much highway driving and the CTIS can be a pain.

The dump bed is on an A2 winch chassis while the A3 has coolers, towels, sun-screen and Mardi Gras beads in it, has hauled a beauty contest winner in a parade, etc. that about says it all!

It's a lot like farm tractors, the older cast-iron beasts are tough but rough, new machines sure are nice but have breaky bits and cost five times as much. :deadhorse:

CaptainRW

multi-fuel?

I know the M35A2 is multi-fuel, Does anyone know if the CAT powered A3 is as well? I'm looking to buy one and wish to know before I get it. Thanks

CaptainRW

A Caterpillar is not a multi-fuel engine.
Thanks, are any of the A3's engines multi-fuel? I have an A3 and have a chance to get an A3, BUT don't want it if I can't run my free veggie oil mix...

Either way, I'm not sure I like the auto tranny all the A3's seem to have anyways...

mktopside

Banned
Thanks, are any of the A3's engines multi-fuel? I have an A3 and have a chance to get an A3, BUT don't want it if I can't run my free veggie oil mix...

Either way, I'm not sure I like the auto tranny all the A3's seem to have anyways...

There are a few A3 guys running veggie oil. I wouldn't do it without serious filtration, and I probably wouldn't run it straight. But it's been done.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like my A2s but an A3 is an MV and I like it as well. I wish I had more time to go over camp9's A3 when he was here last Thursday. I think it was the first one I have ever seen running.

It's big, it's green, what's not to like?

This isn't the Hatfields and McCoys or Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge or even Democrat vs Republican, it's one MV vs another.

:)

sw

goodguyzy

I know the M35A2 is multi-fuel, Does anyone know if the CAT powered A3 is as well? I'm looking to buy one and wish to know before I get it. Thanks
Use the search function, there are some really rude people on here that will ride your butt about this. Not any A3 owners of course.

Myopic

"Which is better and which would you buy" was the original question. By the end of the first page, it turned into which one is worse and why you wouldn't buy that pos thread. There were some hepful, on topic posts scattered amongst the thread.

It would have been nice to read ONE post maybe like this...
Five years ago, I bougt a 19xx M35A2. Since then i have spent about X dollars and
Y hours/days working on it. Its all stock still exept for tires. Everything has been gone over. Its old and simple and reliable and thats what I like best about it.

I'd like to hear about an A3 with a manual transmission swap, but thnk those that have done it would keep it to themselves.

By the way, Congratulations on your new truck!

DonFDNY

"Which is better and which would you buy" was the original question. By the end of the first page, it turned into which one is worse and why you wouldn't buy that pos thread. There were some hepful, on topic posts scattered amongst the thread.

It would have been nice to read ONE post maybe like this...
Five years ago, I bougt a 19xx M35A2. Since then i have spent about X dollars and
Y hours/days working on it. Its all stock still exept for tires. Everything has been gone over. Its old and simple and reliable and thats what I like best about it.

I'd like to hear about an A3 with a manual transmission swap, but thnk those that have done it would keep it to themselves.

By the way, Congratulations on your new truck!
You are right, I was considering buying a deuce when I started this poll with the question "Which is better an M35A2 or M35A3"
A friend of mine bought an older A2 and between his original purchase of about 4K
and his current restoration he has about 14K into it by now but it is essentially a new truck and looks GREAT!
I wound up buying an A3 and so far I have about 10K into it but the government rebuilt everything! So I essentially have a new truck.
So to completely restore a deuce (A2) or buy an A3 the money turns out to be about the same .
So to answer the original question "Which is better and which would you buy"
It all comes down to what features you want, they are still both M35s.
Don

lonegunman

A year ago, I finally retrieved my A3. I had it serviced, took it on a test drive and then drove it 2300 miles to my house with no problems. The truck used almost a quart of oil. I am into the entire thing about 7K including the recovery. I got a truck that is was 10 years old, meaning everything on the truck was either brand new or had been rebuilt to NEW ten years ago. It already has everything A2 guys spend thousands adding or sit around wishing for.

Power Steering, check

Super singles, check

Electric wipers, check

An exhaust system with a muffler, check

Working lights with actual backup lights, check

Upgraded air brakes, check

Upgraded cooling system, trans cooler and intercooler, check

Air clutch fan, check

A heater and defroster that works, check

Spring ride drivers seat and three point seat belts, check

Fiberglass troop seats, check

Aluminum fuel tank, check

Generally speaking, the advice from A2 guys on A3's is for the most part wrong. Why? Because almost none of them have ever seen an A3 in person, much less driven or worked on one. Same goes for that dreaded Cat engine. Finding internet posts on boat motors is not actual experience. Mine has been trouble free and that engine powers thousands of school buses, RV's , GM Top Kicks, generators and who knows how much equipment with no problems to this day.

Last edited:

WyoDeuce

I have both the a2 and a3. I would disregard most of the comments made by people who do not have experience with both trucks. I love my a2 and will allways keep it. It is the classic millitary vehicle in every way. It has the right look, it is a manual and I love to drive it.
That said the a3 is a better truck when it comes to real work in 6wd. The a3's go better in the mud and snow. If you are getting an m35 for it's 6wd capability you want an a3. It is all about the michelin tires. If I wanted to put michelins on my a2 the added cost would put me at the price of an a3. The cat motor has plenty of power and the auto trans is very user friendly.
The a3 is more complicated and there are some parts that are harder to find and more expensive. If price is the bottom line, (purchase and maintainance cost) the a2 is a better choice. If price isn't the biggest factor then an a3 is an excelent truck. All 4 of the a3's I have owned have had working CTIS straight from the millitary. It is a complicated system but if it stops working you don't have to use it. Screw on a regular tire valve and air up your tires manually. You still get all the benefit of the michelin tires which are FAR better than a NDT at any tire pressure. I need to chain up my a2 for it to run with the a3 which is a real pain.
Don't let people scare you away from an a3. They are great trucks and if you are considering one you should really drive both an a2 and an a3 and make up your own mind based on YOUR situation. The a3 has many upgrades that are very nice to have.

Warren Lovell

I like all military vehicles. And when I need an opinion, I usually seek it from someone that has had the vehicle. An A2 is fun, I've had two of em. The A3 is fun. I have one of the 6000 or so made. Its nice to have a selection of vehicles to drive...an option for people on the fence is to buy both an A2 and A3. I must have got a great A3.No leaks anywhere, ctis works great, and it starts the second I turn that lever.
You can complain about the auto trans, but you know what g.i. Drivers do to vehicles that dont belong to them! Stay on top of the maintenance and you'll be fine. I think if you want an inexpensive entry level mil vehicle, you need to look at the M1008/M1009. These are collector vehicles. The A3 is a bit rare than the long produced A2 & you will pay more for this distinction. Just because you pay more doesnt mean the vehicle is better...its just different.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I just got an a3,Ive had over 50 deuces and 5 tons.I didnt think I would like the a3 from what alot of people said.I am very happy with it.It is alot tighter,quieter and more comfortable to drive.I still have a a2 that I plan on keeping.

berserker

In real life it's likened to a champagne mind and beer bottle pockets (A2vsA3), at least for me:roll: so I have the a2 which will get upgrades but.....I own A DEUCE! :jumpin: After that who cares? hehe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks