• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a M939 at auction: What to look for and to be prepared to fix

71DeuceAK

I imagine this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything that answered my questions in my specific scenario with some searching. Perhaps my questions will help others in the future. I tried to make my title somewhat searchable for other people down the road who might have similar questions/be in a similar situation.

OK, I'm looking at an IronPlanet auction for a '91 M927A2 in decent shape. (Some surface rust, runs, cab looks like mice got in there but otherwise looks like a solid truck with good bones and lots of potential for what I'm planning on using it for. While they do a pretty good job at thoroughly documenting each truck with photos and disclosing any known, obvious issues/problems/things that don't work, I'm still wondering what kind of things may be definite deal breakers. I want to get ahold of them with a good list of questions to ask, what sort of things besides "Does it run?" would be worth asking that could be looked at?

Truck would be shipped if I won it to somewhere else, where it would be stored, then eventually driven or shipped up to Fairbanks, Alaska once deemed road-worthy and safe and made street legal, being well gone through by then mechanically. But in the meantime, what sort of things would you more experienced individuals say are deal breakers to look for when picking one of these up at auction.

I would post pictures from the auction, but is that allowed here? Just wanted to ask first.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I don't like a lot of rust. Nothing that looks like it's been forklifted or visible drivetrain damage. Don't like the older style michelin 1400s on the m939s they are prone to failure. The xzls are ok. Any truck is going to need a little tlc here and there plus routine maintenance.

71DeuceAK

There's some rot-through on the hard top (but not much) on the driver's side which is kind of the top of the door jamb, for lack of a better word. Fixable though. Didn't look like it was forklifted or otherwise treated like scrap metal/was going to be scrapped. These tires are a little weathered, but nothing BAD. I've heard various Michelin horror stories myself, tires blowing out at freeway speed on recovery trips. I may ask about the tires then.

Thanks for the comeback! Anything else to be mindful of? This would be my first, so I'm new to this and haven't had prior experiences with this sort of thing. LOL.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Gonna be expensive to ship a 927 it's long. By the time you ship and service and store it, it may be more cost effective to buy one already in civ hands. You could post a want ad in the classifieds. The older style Michelin xl block tread tires are bad news no matter how they look.

71DeuceAK

This is definitely going to be a 'slow build' type project, getting the truck, then even the basic work to it later down the road. But I may throw a want ad in the classifieds, that's a great idea!

Andrmorr

Gonna be expensive to ship a 927 it's long. By the time you ship and service and store it, it may be more cost effective to buy one already in civ hands. You could post a want ad in the classifieds. The older style Michelin xl block tread tires are bad news no matter how they look.
Carefully Think over whether you have more time or more money to start with...in the end the two directions will be equal in money...

Rusted older truck=cheaper start price but cost more time to find parts/buy parts repair rust & replace parts

Newer rebuilt truck=higher start price but less time/money spent finding/fixing...can use time to nitpick and bulletproof

both routes will end up with the same truck in the end just your time commitment & level/type of contribution is different...

I think the rebuilt trucks have an edge since the big items (axles-transmissions-xfer case etc) have been
rebuilt which are hard for us to do without the special tools...

The XL tires are definitely an accident waiting to happen...they were a problem even when the trucks first came out...
we kept having to send our trucks back to maintenance...

Good Luck!

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have a very nice M927A2 that I might consider selling. I drive it occasionally to keep it exercised but I only take it on one long trip a year to the GA rally.

I modified it to pull my van trailer by replacing the 20 foot stock bed with a 16 foot dropside bed and putting a 5th wheel behind it.

It has a hardtop and is in very good physical condition.

It's in Alabama which is a long way from where you are but M927s are hard to find for the most part.

If you are interested I have a 20 foot Marine Corps dropside bed that I would put on it if you don't like the tractor version of the M927.

Attachments

71DeuceAK

Hey Richard, I'll definitely keep that in mind! I'd definitely prefer the dropside version bed. If this doesn't pan out I'll definitely entertain that thought. PM me if you've got ideas on a price yet. Knowing the story behind that truck, I'd love to have it.

It's definitely an older truck that will need some work, but I can theoretically get it now with my current monetary situation and slowly work on it. Sure, I'll have as much into it as a nice one that's been gone through and is effectively a new truck, but I very much have time on my hands, considering that it'll take awhile to get a CDL.

Andrmorr

Hey Richard, I'll definitely keep that in mind! I'd definitely prefer the dropside version bed. If this doesn't pan out I'll definitely entertain that thought. PM me if you've got ideas on a price yet. Knowing the story behind that truck, I'd love to have it.

It's definitely an older truck that will need some work, but I can theoretically get it now with my current monetary situation and slowly work on it. Sure, I'll have as much into it as a nice one that's been gone through and is effectively a new truck, but I very much have time on my hands, considering that it'll take awhile to get a CDL.
Unless you will be using the truck for commercial you won't need a CDL, but Alaska may be different...

Unknown truck from Iron Planet vs Bulletproof proven truck from wreckerman893...no decision there...you said you'd send the truck somewhere to get rebuilt before you shipped/drove it to AK...if you got Wreckerman's truck it could go straight to AK...another awesome option for you is Suprman's 2011 rebuilt M934A2 just listed in the classifieds...it's been rebuilt... and if you don't like it as a M934... a simple bed change would net you a rebuilt M927 plus a nice office/storage building...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...n-truck-2011-rebuild-hardtop-camo-super-clean

NEIOWA

Why don't you buy a truck that is already in Alaska? Likely to have arctic kits. To my observation equipment ourside of CONUS goes way cheap as well.

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen a handful of mv's get sold out of Fairbanks in the last year. The cost to ship one from the lower 48 if you find anyone willing, would far out way the cost of the truck.

Nomadic

A forum member in AK would probably be ideal. Would it be a PITA to get past the USA border and into Canada? I wonder what they would required as far as being road worthy/legal.

71DeuceAK

Great ideas/points! I have wondered about getting it through Canada quite a bit too. As for rebuilt, not really so much rebuilt as just stored and the necessary mechanical work done, in no major hurry either. Tires are going to need attention, they're in poor shape, and there's also some rust, but the latter can be dealt with later. I'm specifically looking for an M927A2 or an M928A2 for a specific purpose I have in mind, otherwise I'd be willing to settle for other models. If this doesn't happen, Wreckerman's truck would be next on my list, though of course a nice one like his will cost more $$$ than I currently have; an auction truck that can be stored relatively close to there relatively long term is a better option in my current situation, though otherwise I'd want a clean, nice one that's been gone through.

162tcat

A forum member in AK would probably be ideal. Would it be a PITA to get past the USA border and into Canada? I wonder what they would required as far as being road worthy/legal.
To get through Canada, you barge it from Seattle to your port of choice in Alaska and drive from there. Barge is cheaper than driving once you factor in fuel and potential issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nomadic

To get through Canada, you barge it from Seattle to your port of choice in Alaska and drive from there. Barge is cheaper than driving once you factor in fuel and potential issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm planning an Alaska trip once it starts heating up here in Nevada. How much does it cost to barge a vehicle from Seattle to first port in Alaska?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Unless you will be using the truck for commercial you won't need a CDL, but Alaska may be different...

Unknown truck from Iron Planet vs Bulletproof proven truck from wreckerman893...no decision there...you said you'd send the truck somewhere to get rebuilt before you shipped/drove it to AK...if you got Wreckerman's truck it could go straight to AK...another awesome option for you is Suprman's 2011 rebuilt M934A2 just listed in the classifieds...it's been rebuilt... and if you don't like it as a M934... a simple bed change would net you a rebuilt M927 plus a nice office/storage building...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...n-truck-2011-rebuild-hardtop-camo-super-clean
A 20ft bed is not a direct swap onto a 934. The 934 is shorter than a 927 by about 28 inches

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
A 20ft bed is not a direct swap onto a 934. The 934 is shorter than a 927 by about 28 inches

It is also shorten so much that a 927A2 has a center support bearing for transfer case to front tandem axle and a 934 does not.

71DeuceAK

I could potentially stick it on the ferry from, say, Bellingham to Haines, first place on the mainland that isn't on an island, though maybe I'd stop in Sitka and leave it there since my other home (when not in school) is outside Sitka.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The NHC250 is a better, more reliable engine, IMO... Not to mention cost of maintenance and parts... You don't get that with an A2... It will be easier to start in the cold, but you're relying on a turbo for your power. It is slightly more efficient, but it's also more complicated. IMO, the NHC250 is a better bet....

With any purchase, there are a bunch of pluses and minuses....

You can add a winch later, but it will be a PITA.. I'd probably suggest a 928 for that reason, instead of a 927....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks