• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a M939 at auction: What to look for and to be prepared to fix

Nomadic

The NHC250 is a better, more reliable engine, IMO... Not to mention cost of maintenance and parts... You don't get that with an A2... It will be easier to start in the cold, but you're relying on a turbo for your power. It is slightly more efficient, but it's also more complicated. IMO, the NHC250 is a better bet....

With any purchase, there are a bunch of pluses and minuses....

You can add a winch later, but it will be a PITA.. I'd probably suggest a 928 for that reason, instead of a 927....
The NHC250 being naturally aspirated has advantages. No turbo lag. As for the Cummins having more costly maintenance, what maintenance did you have in mind that is required for the Cummins over the NHC250?

162tcat

The NHC250 being naturally aspirated has advantages. No turbo lag. As for the Cummins having more costly maintenance, what maintenance did you have in mind that is required for the Cummins over the NHC250?
Both are cummins engines. One is old (50's) but proven technology, the other is newer (80's) and also proven technology. Both are good engines so make your choice based on overall truck condition, not just what engine it has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nomadic

Both are cummins engines. One is old (50's) but proven technology, the other is newer (80's) and also proven technology. Both are good engines so make your choice based on overall truck condition, not just what engine it has.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds good. Still looking to know what maintenance is required for the turbo motor that the NA motor doesn't need.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds good. Still looking to know what maintenance is required for the turbo motor that the NA motor doesn't need.
More parts = more complexity = more things to go wrong.

KISS

Of course, if you turbo the 250 you're adding complexity as well.. :p

If the turbo fails on the mouse motor, you're #(%&#(&, if the turbo fails on the NHC250 ...oh..wait.. what turbo? :p

I will say that the engine is more of a personal choice, as the difference between the two is fairly minor, all things considered, but it's enough to push me to the 250...

EDIT:

I've also seen people put a premium on the A2s, which now means that the A2s are more expensive..... I've seen the same model/mileage/condition 923s, and the A2s draw a couple grand more than the 'A0' and A1... If you go to GP/IP and look at closed auction prices, you'll see what I'm talking about. ****, I got my A0 M934 with 11k miles, only 150 miles on it after refurb at RRAD, for ~$4500 (Incl. auction fees, taxes, etc), but A2s with 20k miles that hadn't been refurbed are going for 6K$+....If you're looking for CTIS, super singles, etc then it's not a bad deal, as retrofitting those is $$$$$$... But if you're looking for just a truck, it's hard to justify the premium, again, if super singles and CTIS (another point of failure), aren't things that interest you.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks