• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying First M1008...

wafinley

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am getting ready to purchase my first M1008. I have other vehicles (M-38, M151A2, M37, M274A5), but this is the first vehicle that is a diesel(6.2J). Just checking with you experts to see if there are any pitfalls or downfalls for the M1008 that I should be aware of. The general condition is very good (been in AZ desert). Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

MarcusOReallyus

Well,first of all, welcome! :beer:

Second, just read. Especially read the helpful threads sticky.

Probably the biggest thing that will require some mental adjustment is the electrical system. It's a hybrid 24v/12v doohickey. 24v is used for the starting circuit (most of it) and part of the glow plug circuit. "Part of????" Yeah, part of. :D The rest of it is 12v. Lights, all that stuff.

Lots of good info on that in the helpful threads sticky.

Oh, and did I mention you should read the helpful threads sticky?

You'll want to do the famous doghead mod. The starter relay on these things is known to fail in a way that causes the starter to run away sometimes. Hilarity ensues. Not really. Bad things happen. It's not good.

Anyway, the doghead mod takes care of that. It does appear that the problem may be due to GM getting a bad run of relays, because some folks have never had a problem with the stock relay, but it's a twenty buck mod, so it doesn't make sense to me to take the chance.

Lastly, there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf5fZ8HLd2w

:mrgreen:

:beer:

Oh, and did I mention you should read the helpful threads sticky?

wafinley

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the helpful, yet entertaining response...I'm still laughing!!! Not sure what to do next, so I think I will... read the Helpful Threads Sticky! I will post some pictures once I have the deal sealed. I'm sure I will have more specific questions in the near future...but I will look to see if it has already been answered for me in the...you guessed it... Helpful Threads Sticky! I very much appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

GunnyM1009

Yeah the charging system can be a pain but not to bad once you wrap your head around how it works. I have a M1009 and the engine hasn't given me any problems. The main issue on thes are electrical component failure but being in a dry area helps and as long as everything works right just keep up the maintenance on the electrical components and connections and you will probably love it.

mikey

Yes, buy a multimeter and be prepared for electrical and charging issues. Eventually they all have electrical issues. You'll be rebuilding alternators, replacing relays and an occasional run away starter if you choose not to do the doghead relay mod.

Mikey

wafinley

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I did not know better, I would swear you all are trying to tell me "don't marry that girl!" Afraid it is already to late... mind is made up. I am sure your expertise and the memory that you "warned me" will get me through any challenges I may encountered. But just in case...job one is to make sure I always have a fire extinguisher readily available...:lol: I will post some pictures soon.

GunnyM1009

Dont get us wrong. The starter bolts shearing can be helped by a starter bracket. The starter run is solved by the dog head relay mod. So far your in about 30 dollars for preventive maintenance. The electrical isnt expensive unless you have to get alternators rebuilt. Once you get or make sure all your electronics work just make dioelectric grease your best friend and you'll be fine.

mikey

If I did not know better, I would swear you all are trying to tell me "don't marry that girl!" Afraid it is already to late... mind is made up. I am sure your expertise and the memory that you "warned me" will get me through any challenges I may encountered. But just in case...job one is to make sure I always have a fire extinguisher readily available...:lol: I will post some pictures soon.
Not at all. I love my M1009. It's one of my favorite mv's. I drive it more than any other. But the fact is the 24v design was ingenious on paper. Not as good in the real world. I've already rebuilt both alts and I've owned mine for 3 months. Roughly $40 each shipped for the alt rebuild kits from SS member Tow4.

You'll love the truck. But I guarantee you that if you own it long enough you'll remember this thread.

Mikey

truck1

I've had a 1028 for 5 years. I've done many upgrades and they are too many to list. But I love this truck. It is super reliable. Runs great for a 6.2 . Don't expect a lot of top end. But it will get you there and back. Expect to learn the operating systems and be able to do your own repairs. It's all here on SS , the TM's and everyone's experiences. Search my threads and you'll see what I mean. Great rigs. Hopefully you've got one that is stock to start with. Good luck and happy trails.

MarcusOReallyus

The electrical isnt expensive unless you have to get alternators rebuilt.

Nah. Forty bucks for a rebuild kit from ASP Wholesale, a half hour of your time (the first time you do it) and you're good to go. [thumbzup]

Now, if you have to get one re-wound, maybe that's pricey. I don't know.

Hopefully you've got one that is stock to start with.

And if not, post pics and descriptions, and some very smart folks here will talk you through making it good again.

With a few mods, of course....

wafinley

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Appreciate all the information and advise gentlemen. I hope to own it for quite some time and enjoy all the experiences along the way. Let's face it, if we didn't enjoy the experience of owning a piece of history and all that comes with it....we would just go out and buy new trucks! I am quite confident that most of what I will need to help make my M1008 a success is available right here... thanks :cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks