• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying my first M35A2

Status
Not open for further replies.

surplusHQ

I dont have any MV's yet, but the boss has approved funding to bid on an M35 on Govt. Liquidation. I have looked at all the trucks and have a few favorites, but my question has to do with when and how do you get a title for the truck? I learned from the GL site that after you "win" the truck, you have to fill out an EUC form, but when and how do you get a title in Florida? These trucks dont currently have titles do they? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks,
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

SMOKEWAGON66

I dont know bout florida, but you are correct in the assumption that these trucks do not have titles. Maybe a FL member can give you some heads up on how to tile/register your beast when you get it.

spartan_185

I cant be sure about Florida, but here in Oklahoma, you have to apply for a SF-97 from Gov Liquidation (which cost $60) and once you recieve that you take it to the local tag office and do a request for title. You get the title in the mail in a few weeks. Its kinda weird too, both of my deuces are titled as pickup trucks. Oh yea, good luck in getting a truck, the ownership of these things is a unique experience.

Truckoholic

Yep, after the auction ends, they automatically charge whatever payment method you chose. Then you have to get on their website and fill out the EUC and export agreement, and email them those together with a large color copy of your drivers license. Then the waiting game starts. It can take weeks for the government to approve your EUC. Once they finally approve it, you get an email from GL that tells you that you can now download your "Paid in Full Invoice" and this means that your EUC has cleared, and you can now call the GL lot and set up an appointment to go retrieve your truck.

Then finally AFTER you get the truck home, you verify that the serial number is correct, if you do not know the year of the truck, you will have to get on this website and put all the information that you do know about it including the serial number, and bumper numbers, in the 2011 Vin info thread, and there are a couple of nice guys that look it up in some database and give you the missing information. You then get on GL's website again, and go to the forms page, and click on the link to request an SF97 which is a right to a title. The SF97 looks almost like a title or something because it is printed on security paper, but at the top it says "United States Government, Certificate to obtain title to a vehicle". That takes weeks to get as well. Once you finally get that, you then can go into the department of motor vehicles or whatever you have there in Florida, and can register the truck, and get the title on it's way.

I just literally a couple days ago finally got the title to my first truck that I bought the beginning of June. Almost exactly 3 months from auction end to title in my hand.

flyusn99

FL title

Welcome to the site, there are actually quite a few of us here in Jax. PM me if you want and I can help you with getting started and put you in touch with the other guys....

James

renovate7

Here in Florida you DON"T get an SF97, you get a Florida Title. After your EUC clears you can send them $78, by credit card on their site. You fill out an SF97 but you receive a Title. It will first be issued in GL's name. They will overnight a form which transfers the title from them to you, which you sign and send back. You receive the Title in your name in 2-3 weeks...After picking up your Deuce with your paid in full invoice, while waiting for you title, you can get a 30 day temporary tag for $7.50. You need to take your invoice and proof of insurance to a tag agency. This way you can legally drive it the day you get it home. Call Gulfway Insurance here in Fl for insurance, it's cheap and they know Deuces. 1-800-940-5010, ext. 3...My most recent timeline was win auction 6/16. EUC cleared 7/12. Picked up A2 7/15. Received Title and got permanent plate 8/18.

Attachments

surplusHQ

Thanks for all the good information! I'm quite lucky, the Minister of War and Finance has authorized the purchase of as many as three M35's, one for me, one for her and a parts truck. As soon as I get the trucks legal and road worthy I'll definitely get together with some of the guys here in Jax.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you are only going to buy one deuce I would reccommend buying one from a SS member locally.......you can drive it and make sure it is in good condition

You don't have to jump through GL's hoops and you can play with your truck immediatly.

Just make sure it has a clear title.

spartan_185

If you are only going to buy one deuce I would reccommend buying one from a SS member locally.......you can drive it and make sure it is in good condition

You don't have to jump through GL's hoops and you can play with your truck immediatly.

Just make sure it has a clear title.
I agree with the above statement fully. I bought my first one from a local seller. It gave me the chance to go through the truck completely and get a great idea of exactly what I was getting into. Plus the test drive sealed the deal. You may pay a little more, but it beats going to recover one from GL to find out it has missing parts/no brakes/ or worse.

Truckoholic

I agree with the above statement fully. I bought my first one from a local seller. It gave me the chance to go through the truck completely and get a great idea of exactly what I was getting into. Plus the test drive sealed the deal. You may pay a little more, but it beats going to recover one from GL to find out it has missing parts/no brakes/ or worse.

Yep, I would agree too that that is probably the best way to go. Just some of like the adventure of buying them sight unseen and going through GL's BS ;). I'm actually being serious. ha ha It is kind of a challenge and fun to overcome the challenge, and words can't quit describe the absolute thrill I get after getting a truck I bought sight unseen in non running condition home, and start it up for the first time. That in itself is quite addicting. But yeah, if I wanted just one for me and I wanted it to be a good one, especially if I wasn't a really good mechanic, or want any potential additional unexpected expenses, then yeah, a local seller with a clear title allready and running truck, is definitely the way to go.

surplusHQ

Your advice seems to be based upon your intelligence, years of experience, and honest care for someone entering the hobby. But I'm going to respectfully disregard your sagely and sound counsel. I'm able to carefully preview the items for sale, I'm going through the process guided by an experienced SS member, and I plan to buy several trucks. Thanks for your advice and concern.

andytk5

I'm here im Jax as well and I have been cruising the site looking for CUCV's for ever and none have ever come up in Jax so maybe I will be going M35 instead..

Seems they sell about the same price maybe a little higher from the auctions I have watched. Really looking forward to it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Your advice seems to be based upon your intelligence, years of experience, and honest care for someone entering the hobby. But I'm going to respectfully disregard your sagely and sound counsel. I'm able to carefully preview the items for sale, I'm going through the process guided by an experienced SS member, and I plan to buy several trucks. Thanks for your advice and concern.
The last time I looked at my GL spread sheet I had purchased over 30 vehicles from them.....all of them were runners except for that money pit M816 wrecker.

I love a good challenge myself and am somewhat addicted to the GL auction action.

If you preview and know what you are getting into then you are ahead of the game.

Good luck with your purchases.

It's a crap shoot but it's not like I have anything else to do since I retired from the Army.

Hope you can make it to the GA Rally.

axlr8

wm you need someone like me down there to keep your tires full of air and windows clean on those trucks!heck ill even store one at my place!

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My two cents, one with inflation, There is a real nice M35A3 with bows and perfect canvas at a local dealer, only thing I saw wrong with it was a minor issue, drivers side door handle is a little funky.
They want $9995 for it. That's what really got me interested almost to the point of buying it.

Then I found this site researching all the questions I had and still have(the dealership basically couldn't answer crap.... Then GL. I didn't want to spend more than 5K for my first truck. I could've bought a nice A3 winch truck for 7-8K with the wife's blessing, but chose the one I got (running and driving) in the GL video for less than 5K. I have yet to see this vehicle in person, but I can't imagine any repairs equaling double the price..... Maybe I'm whistling past the graveyard?

The vehicle I bought is 70 miles from my house. Even if I have to lowboy it, my neighbor can do that for me cheaply....
My advice as a newbie is if you go the auction route, bid on one you can visit and lacking the time to do so, only in the immediate area so getting it moved will be les expensive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.