• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab Drink Cooler

Third From Texas

I don't recommend many things, but this one hit home so I'll share...

A couple months back I picked up one of these little coolers for drinks and snacks in the cab. I looked at reviews and settled on the VEVOR branded cooler based on Amazon reviews (I suspect that they are all mostly the same, though). The design and compressor seem to be fairly common and span several brands (with the same compressor used in multiple sizes). The 10 and 16 QT size use the same controller. The larger models use a different controller (that appears to lack the Bluetooth feature). All appear to use the same compressor.

Keeping in mind my goal was NOT a fridge/freezer for the hab. I just wanted a small, light weight, "easy to toss into the cab" cooler that could carry a 12 pack and some snacks for road trips and day trips to the beach.

The cooler came in a well packed box, Styrofoam encased top and bottom, 110v and 12/24v plugs inside. It is NOT self powered (ie: no battery onboard).

Time to cool (empty) to 32F is about 6-8 minutes at 80 ambient (way faster than they claim it takes). It actually cools even faster if the contents are already cold. Temp seems to flux about +/- 4 degrees depending on ambient and compressor cycles.

While the compartment looks tiny, it does in fact hold a 12 pack (8 cans on their side, 4 standing up) with room for a couple sandwiches and snacks). Or it will also fit 8 cans with two bottles of Gatorade and some snacks.

It has three battery protection settings that will stop it from draining the vehicle battery, and Eco/High cooling modes.

I load it with drinks, set it to 45F, ECO mode, protection to medium (the default with a 10.1v cut out). It runs all day at the beach (high 90's ambient) in the cab without protection mode shutting down nor pulling the battery below the start threshold (opening frequently for refreshing adult beverages) . *larger models may vary as they would work the compressor a bit harder I suspect. I have run it 32F with ice cream bars (German Shepherd likes a cold snack at the beach) with no issues (but I bump it up to 45F after the goodie is consumed).

I'd not want the bigger version. IMO, it's just the right size and weight for tossing up into the cab while fully loaded. It doesn't encroach on the German Shepherd's space. And being so small, it requires hardly any juice to maintain itself.

I did note that on the High setting, when dialed down below 32F (it can reach -4F), and constantly running in a hot cab that the cigarette adaptor got a bit warm to the touch, but that's to be expected (it has internal fuse protection). The battery projection does eventually kick in under those circumstances But I didn't buy it to make ice...

A few users reported shipping damage, so always check for cracks, etc. I always run electronics for 24 hrs right out of the box (especially China stuff). It they are going to fail, it's often within that window.

I got it on sale ($10 off) with a $35 coupon. Total with tax and shipped was $83 ! I've saved that much not purchasing ice in a couple months of day trips to the beach. I wish I'd have grabbed a second one at that price.

Really pleased with the cooler and it far exceeded my expectations !

61L55P+hgsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Y235LR5/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

I also picked up the insulated cover (I wanted the extra insulation as well as the carrying handle). It's extremely well made (I was expecting China junk). Makes tossing it into the cab that much easier It was on sale for $33 after tax.

71PKQTRUodL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'm going to add a 100w solar panel and controller to the mix to keep the truck battery topped off while parked. I've been meaning to do that anyway. I already have similar set up on the trailer, but I don't drag that with me unless I'm doing extended overnights. The cooler's power brick puts out

Last edited:

Third From Texas

My other cooler weighs 150lbs empty.

It gets a crane ride into the trailer when it's loaded.

;)

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

A couple months back I picked up one of these little coolers for drinks and snacks in the cab. I looked at reviews and settled on the VEVOR branded cooler based on Amazon reviews (I suspect that they are all mostly the same, though). The design and compressor seem to be fairly common and span several brands (with the same compressor used in multiple sizes). The 10 and 16 QT size use the same controller. The larger models use a different controller (that appears to lack the Bluetooth feature). All appear to use the same compressor.

Keeping in mind my goal was NOT a fridge/freezer for the hab. I just wanted a small, light weight, "easy to toss into the cab" cooler that could carry a 12 pack and some snacks for road trips and day trips to the beach.

The cooler came in a well packed box, Styrofoam encased top and bottom, 110v and 12/24v plugs inside. It is NOT self powered (ie: no battery onboard).

Time to cool (empty) to 32F is about 6-8 minutes at 80 ambient (way faster than they claim it takes). It actually cools even faster if the contents are already cold. Temp seems to flux about +/- 4 degrees depending on ambient and compressor cycles.

While the compartment looks tiny, it does in fact hold a 12 pack (8 cans on their side, 4 standing up) with room for a couple sandwiches and snacks). Or it will also fit 8 cans with two bottles of Gatorade and some snacks.

It has three battery protection settings that will stop it from draining the vehicle battery, and Eco/High cooling modes.

I load it with drinks, set it to 45F, ECO mode, protection to medium (the default with a 10.1v cut out). It runs all day at the beach (high 90's ambient) in the cab without protection mode shutting down nor pulling the battery below the start threshold (opening frequently for refreshing adult beverages) . *larger models may vary as they would work the compressor a bit harder I suspect. I have run it 32F with ice cream bars (German Shepherd likes a cold snack at the beach) with no issues (but I bump it up to 45F after the goodie is consumed).

I'd not want the bigger version. IMO, it's just the right size and weight for tossing up into the cab while fully loaded. It doesn't encroach on the German Shepherd's space. And being so small, it requires hardly any juice to maintain itself.

I did note that on the High setting, when dialed down below 32F (it can reach -4F), and constantly running in a hot cab that the cigarette adaptor got a bit warm to the touch, but that's to be expected (it has internal fuse protection). The battery projection does eventually kick in under those circumstances But I didn't buy it to make ice...

A few users reported shipping damage, so always check for cracks, etc. I always run electronics for 24 hrs right out of the box (especially China stuff). It they are going to fail, it's often within that window.

I got it on sale ($10 off) with a $35 coupon. Total with tax and shipped was $83 ! I've saved that much not purchasing ice in a couple months of day trips to the beach. I wish I'd have grabbed a second one at that price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Y235LR5/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

I also picked up the insulated cover (I wanted the extra insulation as well as the carrying handle). It's extremely well made (I was expecting China junk). Makes tossing it into the cab that much easier It was on sale for $33 after tax.

I'm going to add a 100w solar panel and controller to the mix to keep the truck battery topped off while parked. I've been meaning to do that anyway. I already have similar set up on the trailer, but I don't drag that with me unless I'm doing extended overnights. The cooler's power brick puts out
Definitely a good writeup and happy to hear that your shepherd is enjoying the cooler as much as you are!

Third From Texas

Still loving the little cooler. It's the perfect size and weight for me to easily toss into the cab fully loaded.

While it has never pulled my truck's 12v battery down to a "no-go" state, I wanted something to keep things topped off at the beach. I've not tested what the actual draw is, but the specs say cooler should be around 45w (or 3.75a) in Eco mode and 60w (or 5.0a) at Max. The power AC brick puts out 4.1a. So I used 5a as my target.

Looking for a simple solar solution I also wanted a flexible mounting setup that could be relocated and expanded on to some degree if needed. I've had little piss-ant panels and controllers that never really met my demands, so I wanted to step up a bit. I spent a couple months looking at various solutions, panels, controllers, kits, and reviews. Not all panels are created equal. And often people will swear by a certain brand, yet the quality and performance will vary over the years and between models. As far as reviews, I tend to favor the ones with documented results, using meters and tools to measure those results. Finally, my solution would be one that will end up on the trailer (since the truck will eventually have its own dedicated solar setup. I do not need 24v for the trailer application, but I would not rule it out.

I settled on Renogy panels in the 100w range. And several of their controllers get pretty solid reviews. A lot things got put into my Amazon cart over the months and most ended up being removed for one reason or another. I had narrowed things down to a 100w panel, a waterproof 12/24v controller, cables, and a crimping tools set with connectors as my goal.

I finally pulled the trigger on this one. The price point for the entire kit was an attraction. The whole kit was actually priced the same as just the included panel, which I thought odd (though I see it has gone up accordingly from the $159 that I paid to $199 now, and the panel has gone up to $179). But for $159 I thought it was a great deal. It checked all my boxes...

61coJXaHo2L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

So after testing this week, I'm pleased with the results. It's putting out right at 6a in direct sunlight. The frame is well assembled and pretty beefy. The legs are sturdy and the ss hardware allows for ample adjustment and holds it securely in place. The controller supports seven different battery types (Li-Ion, LiFePO4, LTO, Gel, AGM, Wet, and Calcium). Once deployed, the controller swings down on a hinge so you can read the display and secures with Velcro when stowed (a nice design touch). The wiring was all done nicely with all connections and connectors shrink wrapped. The cable used is waterproof in a heavy rubber casing opposed to just a pair of 10AWG. The entire unit weighs in at around 27 lbs when stowed with the cables. The included case is adequate with Chinese zippers, decent stitching, and a somewhat thick and surprisingly stiff canvas that appears to provide good protection for the panels.

There was no manual for the kit (only for the included controller). They really should include a WARNING to make it very clear to disconnect the panel from the controller before connecting the battery and setting up the battery type (I know better and it's mentioned in the controller manual, but the unit comes plugged together and someone might no get the memo, resulting in potential damage to the controller).

I did discover one of the tiny nuts that secures the controller rattling around in the panel when I first opened the box. I'd seen this mentioned in several reviews (the nuts were in fact barely hand tight). That was the only QC issue I saw with the unit, and it took 30 seconds with a nut driver to resolve.

The only missing feature I might have wanted was the ability to add their Bluetooth controller. But the included controller is waterproof and to me that's far more important than a port to plug in an optional device.

Overall I'm quite happy with this purchase as well. It's providing peace of mind knowing that my beer cooler wont shut down to save my battery or discharge things and strand me on the Island. If you're looking for a no-BS little solar charring solution for camping, this one is a winner.

Last edited:

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 906036

View attachment 906037

I bought this one, wired an outlet to 24 volts behind the passenger seat so it uses all four batteries last, for days, has a bunch of settings on there to change the cut off voltage so that it doesn't fully drain your batteries at whatever point you want, has a voltage meter built into it and a USB outlet on the top. Goes down to -8 Fahrenheit! If fits perfectly behind the driver or passenger seat

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks