• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab leaking

walkerbzz11

Well, you and me are both right. The floor board vents are leaking but both bottom corners of the windshield are wet. I've called my windshield man and gonna take it back to him and I guess get some kinda of sealant to put around the floor vents.
Can these gaskets be purchased somewhere? Otherwise I'm cleaning them up the best I can and putting some kinda sealant on em.

Attachments

cucvrus

If it were my truck I would clean and repair the pinch weld area of the cab. That vent is leaking because the cowl area has some issues with cracked sealer or rust in that area. The vents only ever had sponge rubber seals. Getting the water away from the top quickly and not allowing it to dam up and puddle will reduce the flow to a smooth trickle and not have it flooding down across that vent area. I fixed a few of these leaks and attempted many before I discovered the fix. Old sealer , rust, dirt and debris. From top to bottom. Southern pine needles that are 10 inches long clogging the way all the way to the bottom of the cowl. Mud and crud in every crack and crevasse. Good Luck. Remove the hood and cowl screen and start there. Wiper tsnsmission could use some attention and lube any way at this point in time.

walkerbzz11

If it were my truck I would clean and repair the pinch weld area of the cab. That vent is leaking because the cowl area has some issues with cracked sealer or rust in that area. The vents only ever had sponge rubber seals. Getting the water away from the top quickly and not allowing it to dam up and puddle will reduce the flow to a smooth trickle and not have it flooding down across that vent area. I fixed a few of these leaks and attempted many before I discovered the fix. Old sealer , rust, dirt and debris. From top to bottom. Southern pine needles that are 10 inches long clogging the way all the way to the bottom of the cowl. Mud and crud in every crack and crevasse. Good Luck. Remove the hood and cowl screen and start there. Wiper tsnsmission could use some attention and lube any way at this point in time.
Cleaning the cowl area is complete. I think... Did that first. I didn't take the hood off though. What should I use for the wiper transmission? Ive taken the cover off and seen it has some kinda old goopy grease on it. Like many, this trucks wiper speed ain't much but it works. Thanks.

cucvrus

Going in start and remove the wiper motor and loosen the clamp on the motor ball to linkage. Do not take the nut from the motor shaft. Take the hood hinges only off and allow the springs to remain attached to the hood . Let the hood arch up and tilt forward. Now remove the entire metal and plastic cowl screens. Remove the hinges and clean and grease them. No spray lubes waste of time. Real oil and grease. Remove wiper transmission which is held by in by 6 / 11mm headed bolts. Slide that out and clean it lube it with oil and grease. Paint it after you have it out. Now clean that down area very well. Lots of water works best. Rinse till no particulates or debris is falling out of lower fender area. I have seen that cowl area packed solid with pine needles leaves and mud. Clean and seal as you go . Paint and reassemble. Take your time and be proud od of your work. Change the wiper motor and make sure it has sufficient ground to the motor. These are old school and they don’ t like to run on dry glass. While in there do it right and never look back. Good Luck. You got this.

walkerbzz11

Going in start and remove the wiper motor and loosen the clamp on the motor ball to linkage. Do not take the nut from the motor shaft. Take the hood hinges only off and allow the springs to remain attached to the hood . Let the hood arch up and tilt forward. Now remove the entire metal and plastic cowl screens. Remove the hinges and clean and grease them. No spray lubes waste of time. Real oil and grease. Remove wiper transmission which is held by in by 6 / 11mm headed bolts. Slide that out and clean it lube it with oil and grease. Paint it after you have it out. Now clean that down area very well. Lots of water works best. Rinse till no particulates or debris is falling out of lower fender area. I have seen that cowl area packed solid with pine needles leaves and mud. Clean and seal as you go . Paint and reassemble. Take your time and be proud od of your work. Change the wiper motor and make sure it has sufficient ground to the motor. These are old school and they don’ t like to run on dry glass. While in there do it right and never look back. Good Luck. You got this.
Sorry. Do I remove the hood or just loosen it enough to get the cowl screen out?

walkerbzz11

Take the hood hinge bolts off and let the hood attached to the assist springs
It's seems the door seals are leaking too. They look fine. Not dry rotted or nothing but the definitely leak. Is there supposed to be some type of sealant along with the seals or are they just bad? Thanks.
Also I took them off because they weren't all the way up against the door frame up in the top front bend but that didn't help.

cucvrus

Yes, these old trucks need some TLC and adjustments. The doors may not be closing tightly, and the seals are not compressed enough to seal the water out. And the trucks do not have a drip gutter like the civilian counterparts so that adds to the problem when the water must run down the inner door jamb to exit out the bottom of the door onto the rocker panel. These were not meant to be daily drivers they were built to be utilitarian trucks that were going to be used and abused. They can be tweaked and sealed but new seals and lots of time and patience is what it takes and then next week it will be something else. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks