• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Caiman mrap aluminum rims

Givinup

No I didn't take apart the steel rims with the tires got all five in storage will probably sell them cheap they have Goodyears on them and I only run the Michelin cause I use mostly on road!
Can you give an update to how you are liking the aluminum rims vs original? Do you have high speed gears as well?

Im interested in switching to aluminum.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tobyS

The al will take a tubeless tire.

Check out red's thread...he broke several studs, catastrophically. He had the studs checked and they were at about 1/2 of the specified strength. Maybe age.

profo

Can you give an update to how you are liking the aluminum rims vs original? Do you have high speed gears as well?

Im interested in switching to aluminum.

rides better than my 2015 dodge 3/4 diesel no hooping,shakes or anything, wanting to do on five ton camper!

Givinup

The al will take a tubeless tire.

Check out red's thread...he broke several studs, catastrophically. He had the studs checked and they were at about 1/2 of the specified strength. Maybe age.
Do you know the title of the thread? When I search for forum name nothing comes up.

Definitely want to read up before looking to purchase. I had heard the mrap aluminum rims won't fit on a 5ton fmtv. Using longer studs and lugs is new to me.

Thought it had to be a 5 Ton aluminum rim originally built for fmtv.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Do you know the title of the thread? When I search for forum name nothing comes up.

Definitely want to read up before looking to purchase. I had heard the mrap aluminum rims won't fit on a 5ton fmtv. Using longer studs and lugs is new to me.

Thought it had to be a 5 Ton aluminum rim originally built for fmtv.

Its off an older MRAP variant. Same one my wheels on my truck go to. They are basically FMTV steel wherls with large bore valve stems. They came with xzl tires mostly and runflats installed. The maxxpro mrap wheels are a budd pattern

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Johno176

The new style mrap don't fit. The ones that do are the caimen mrap rims To use the original studs you then need the special lug nuts with the extended threads.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The new style mrap don't fit. The ones that do are the caimen mrap rims To use the original studs you then need the special lug nuts with the extended threads.
The maxxpro mrap wheels will work as well without mods

Johno176

The only ones that I know of that are a direct fit are the Caiman and the maxxpro. With these you will have to use extended thread lug nuts or install longer studs. The aluminum is quite thick at the holes. All other varient styles that don't work are easy to spot because they lack the radius in the outer portion of the rim.

The only aluminum wheels that will fit on the FMTV are from the Caiman I's (aka "Caiman CAT 1 MRAP" or "BAE-TVS"). They have a 10-hole budd pattern. They require new lug nuts. The threaded lugs do not need to be changed out. This series of MRAP's has the exact same threaded lugs as all FMTVs do. Aluminum wheels off of the Caiman II's (aka "Caiman MTV") will not fit. We have plenty of the correct "FMTV" aluminum wheels and lug nuts in stock - if anyone's interested please PM.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The only aluminum wheels that will fit on the FMTV are from the Caiman I's (aka "Caiman CAT 1 MRAP" or "BAE-TVS"). They have a 10-hole budd pattern. They require new lug nuts. The threaded lugs do not need to be changed out. This series of MRAP's has the exact same threaded lugs as all FMTVs do. Aluminum wheels off of the Caiman II's (aka "Caiman MTV") will not fit. We have plenty of the correct "FMTV" aluminum wheels and lug nuts in stock - if anyone's interested please PM.
And the dual type maxx pro wheels that are aluminum
I even thought about dualing up some 1200-20s on the rear of an FMTV

Last edited:

tobyS

And the dual type maxx pro wheels that are aluminum
I even thought about dualing up some 1200-20s on the rear of an FMTV

So who has a huge surplus of the Maxx-pro dual type wheels and 12.00 tires?

I do not know about MaxxPro wheels fitting on FMTV...have never seen the wheels or tried to fit. I do know that MaxxPro's were built with different (Axletech) axles. Caiman I's were built on FMTV chassis with FMTV Meritor 611-series axles.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I do not know about MaxxPro wheels fitting on FMTV...have never seen the wheels or tried to fit. I do know that MaxxPro's were built with different (Axletech) axles. Caiman I's were built on FMTV chassis with FMTV Meritor 611-series axles.

tobyS

Looking at them makes me think how big of a money pit these trucks really are. I want 9-10.
I have the studs and nuts for them. Some drilling of the truck hub required.

Givinup

Looking at them makes me think how big of a money pit these trucks really are. I want 9-10.
I have the studs and nuts for them. Some drilling of the truck hub required.
But what a fun money pit they are! Best just not to track what you spend, then you don't feel as guilty :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks