• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

California CDL: Another Clarification (long)

pat038536

Commercial means for profit. You can cary your own cargo. So just because it says cargo dose not make it a commercial truck.
Intent in this case doesn't matter.

Commercial Vehicle
260. (a) A "commercial vehicle" is a motor vehicle of a type required to be registered under this code used or maintained for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit or designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property.
Amended Sec. 11, Ch. 861, Stats. 2000. Effective September 28, 2000. Operative December 31, 2001.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 222, Stats. 2002. Effective January 1, 2003.

A lot of people overlook those two words. It doesn't matter how you use it now. In its stock configuration, it was primarily designed to transport property, the fact that it is also used as a troop transport is irrelevant.

Warren Lovell

I just want you cats to know that as an LEO, I wouldnt pull you over!
And for the record, I work with a couple attorneys who also happen to be cops...imagine getting stopped by a coplawyer! Also work with a cop who is a doctor.

just make sure you have a license plate light, all lights and turn signals work, and you'll remove the probable cause for a vehicle traffic stop.

quickfarms

I have yet to see a mv with a license plate light.

Most of the older ones do not have turn signals.

The jeeps only had one brake light up to and including the M38A1

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have yet to see a mv with a license plate light.

Most of the older ones do not have turn signals.

The jeeps only had one brake light up to and including the M38A1

Ask and one shall receive. Installed on my 5-T. Yes, it works. Made the bracket myself from aluminum rectangular bar stock and the light came from Erik's. I tapped into the taillamp circuit.

Whether the truck legally needs a license plate light may very well be open to interpretation. However, erring on this side of caution is usually my M.O.

Ref. CVC Secs.
24252 Lighting Equipment Requirements
24600 Taillamps
24601 License Plate Lamp

Attachments

Last edited:

quickfarms

Friday I went to the DMV and got my CDL permit

I took the following tests Class C, General Knowledge, Air Brakes, Combination Vehicle, Doubles and Tanks

They were very impressed that I got a perfect score on four of the tests and I only missed 3 questions on all of the tests.

It took me 2 and a half hours to due this from the time of my appointment to the time i walked out of the building with my permit.

Now it is time for the behind the wheel part.

More fun

pjvargas

It looks like all the confusion regarding whether the truck was commercial, had airbrakes, was registered Historic, etc has been removed from the 2011 edition of the California Vehicle Code (CVC) and you need a Class B license to drive it in Californis.

The M35A2’s unladen weight is over 13,000 pounds and it has three axles.

According to subparagraph (B) under the Class B License requirements (Section 12804.9 appended below) an M35A2 or M35A3 requires a regular (not a non-commercial Class B license with house car endorsement) Class B or Class A license to drive it in California.

It seems like the license requirements for the 2011 California Vehicle Code breaks down as follows:

Class A license:
Vehicles listed as Class A and all vehicles under class B and class C.

Class B license:
A single vehicle with three or more axles weighing more than 6,000 pounds; or
A house car over 40 feet in length; or
Vehicles listed as Class B and all vehicles covered under class C.

Class B license (non-commercial with house car endorsement):
Any house car over 40 feet in length.

Class C license:
Your regular car license in California.

Excerpts from the 2011 California Vehicle Code.

Section 12804.9 Examination and Driving Test Classifications
Examination and Driving Test: Classifications.

(1) Class A includes the following:
(A) A combination of vehicles, if a vehicle being towed has a gross
vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds.
(B) A vehicle towing more than one vehicle.
(C) A trailer bus.
(D) The operation of all vehicles under class B and class C.

(2) Class B includes the following:
(B) A single vehicle with three or more axles, except any three-axle
vehicle weighing less than 6,000 pounds.
(F) A house car over 40 feet in length, excluding safety devices and safety
bumpers.
(G) The operation of all vehicles covered under class C.

(3) Class C includes the following:
(C) A house car of 40 feet in length or less.
(D) A three-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 pounds gross or less.

Section 12804.10 Noncommercial Class B License with House Car Endorsement
(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a person issued a class C license under paragraph (3) of subdivision (b) of Section 12804.9 may drive any house car of 40 feet in length or less without obtaining a noncommercial class B driver's license with house car endorsement as described in subdivision (b).

(b) Any person seeking to drive any house car over 40 feet in length, excluding safety devices and safety bumpers, shall obtain a noncommercial class B driver's license with house car endorsement as described in this subdivision.

goodguyzy

I visited my local DMV today about getting a class b CDL. I will be in cali soon and wanted to be safe. In order to test i could not use my deuce because it does weigh over 26,000 lbs. so i would have to go to a driving school or find a heaver truck (from my butt) I told them why i wanted it and they said that these are federal standards and i dont need one there.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I visited my local DMV today about getting a class b CDL. I will be in cali soon and wanted to be safe. In order to test i could not use my deuce because it does weigh over 26,000 lbs. so i would have to go to a driving school or find a heaver truck (from my butt) I told them why i wanted it and they said that these are federal standards and i dont need one there.
Correct on the weight issue. Rent a commercial Ryder-type (sorry not a shameless plug) truck (see pic, similar to what I used) with the following...GVWR 26000lbs+, standard transmission and air brakes. That gives you the weight and keeps from getting standard shift and air brake restriction stamps. Axle count does not matter for testing purposes...only weight...per DMV inspector.

CA has adopted the Federal standards. You do need at least a Class B CDL if you reside and operate your truck in CA.

Attachments

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So wait a minute...You need a Class B in California to drive a deuce, but you can't take the test in a deuce because it doesn't meet the requirements for a Class B testing?

Anyone see anything wrong with this?

I'm so glad my M109 doesn't fall into this pit.

deuceaid

Banned
I work with a couple attorneys who also happen to be cops...imagine getting stopped by a coplawyer! Also work with a cop who is a doctor.

just make sure you have a license plate light, all lights and turn signals work, and you'll remove the probable cause for a vehicle traffic stop.

I will make sure I never take an injured friend to a hospital in San Diego cuntry in a historic model anything( A , T ) whatever.....last time I checked hand signals were still legal here.....................................................
and as long as "Lanterns were still visible" yes,,, lanterns,,, as in oil , wick and flame.......................................
DIE AMISH....DIEEEE!!!! **** horse huggers.....

RDUKW

So wait a minute...You need a Class B in California to drive a deuce, but you can't take the test in a deuce because it doesn't meet the requirements for a Class B testing?

Anyone see anything wrong with this?

I'm so glad my M109 doesn't fall into this pit.
This is why I have no proceeded to get my CDL. I need a Class A for my pickup truck when I am hauling my car trailer but I can not take the test in the pick up and I can not get my class A with the deuce or 5 ton. This state pretty much has their head up their a$$ when it comes to licensing.

Ryan

LORENZ

Can you do me a HUGE favor, please. Can you go back in there andtalk to the same person you delt with before, and have them sign a paper saying that the duece will not qualify as a vehicle that you can use to get your class B CDL.

You name nor your truck vin needs to be on the paper. This would be a great help to me. If you can have then print it out on the DMV computer paper that would be great. Get the inspector, or the guy who gives you the ride along test to sign the paper. I will pay you $50 for that signed DMV pei e of paper. If you're in LA or San Diego, So Cal area, I'll gladly pick it up from you.

LORENZ

Can you do me a HUGE favor, please. Can you go back in there andtalk to the same person you delt with before, and have them sign a paper saying that the duece will not qualify as a vehicle that you can use to get your class B CDL.

You name nor your truck vin needs to be on the paper. This would be a great help to me. If you can have then print it out on the DMV computer paper that would be great. Get the inspector, or the guy who gives you the ride along test to sign the paper. I will pay you $50 for that signed DMV pei e of paper. If you're in LA or San Diego, So Cal area, I'll gladly pick it up from you.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I obtained my Class B CDL when I lived in So. Cal. and took my test in my deuce!

quickfarms

I just passed my test on friday.

I now have a class a.

The issue with using the duece for your test involves several potential points.

The first thing you must remember is that many of the examiners are just following their training.

The first issue is they are regestered as historice vehicles.

The second issue is the examiner may not understand the air over hydrolic brakes and you may be able to pass the pretrip or airbrake test.

The third issue is you need to be accompanied by a class a or be driver.

My point is that it probabally earier to rent a truck and that way you will not rock the boat.

Remember the purpose is to past the test

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just passed my test on friday.

I now have a class a.

The issue with using the duece for your test involves several potential points.

The first thing you must remember is that many of the examiners are just following their training.

The first issue is they are regestered as historice vehicles.

The second issue is the examiner may not understand the air over hydrolic brakes and you may be able to pass the pretrip or airbrake test.

The third issue is you need to be accompanied by a class a or be driver.

My point is that it probabally earier to rent a truck and that way you will not rock the boat.

Remember the purpose is to past the test
HEY--- CONGRATS!!! Now yer' livin'!!!!!!!!!

Got my CDL many moons ago before the DOT got involved (1988?) and even though we had to do the driving test with DMV examiner, the test wasn't as involved as now, e., g., air brake, ect.,---- drove around the city streets of Banning grinding a few gears here and there and it wasn't pretty--- but I sweated through and as the examniner was finally heard to say; "I think you deserve a commercial license..."

Hooo-hoo!!!

Good luck!

yarry23

Just a quick clarification - is it true that it is peoples experience that M109A3s which have been converted (or are in the process of being converted) into RVs don't suffer from the need for a Class B license?

I ask this because I am trying to be clear on the laws before I purchase. This thread was extremely helpful in that regard. Thank you everyone for your experiences and knowledge.

My only real concern is how to get the as-of-yet-purchased M109A3 into the state onto my Dad's land so I can work on it and get it converted and street legal, so I can then go and get the **** thing registered at the DMV. It would be good to know I don't have to go and get an additional license. I plan on taking my family to the desert and mountains in this thing - NOT hauling around goods and gear for money (or prom dates, or whatever).

Thanks a ton guys!

~~yarry

bajajoaquin

Yarry, you are correct. Once "converted," it is then a "housecar" and doesn't need a B or A license unless you're over 45'.

As for options, you have (as I see it) three:

1. Have it trailered
2. Find someone with a proper license to drive it for you
3. Wing it an hope you don't get pulled over.

As you might imagine, there is an inverse relationship between cost and risk.

dmetalmiki

outcome

Can someone post the result to all this CDL buisiness in C.A.? I dont seem to be able to find the result in post #49 Yellobronk? hauled over for no cdl fined?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks