• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

California members

Another Ahab

Reading here back East about the CA drought (and the legislated 25% reduction in use).

The maps make it look grim. But the news here never tells the whole story; not like you get when you talk to somebody who is there:

- How bad is it?

- Does it hit home as hard as it sounds?
I drove by one or two full reservoirs this weekend. Who knows. News and politics...
Just a brief drift off the thread here:

- So, maybe the legislation is really just a pre-emptive strike before the problem is truly critical; that would make good sense.

From what you say DavidWymore the reservoirs aren't all yet at the right-hand-stage here, but still closer to the left-hand stage (for the moment); that it?

reservoir.jpg

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahab. It is as bad if not worse. Some of my favorite lakes are almost mud puddles. We have strict watering rules, car washing rules and waste rules. They're trying to get folks to start collecting gray water for irrigation purposes. Yes it's bad.

Another Ahab

Just a brief drift off the thread here:

- So, maybe the legislation is really just a pre-emptive strike before the problem is truly critical; that would make good sense.

From what you say DavidWymore the reservoirs aren't all yet at the right-hand-stage here, but still closer to the left-hand stage (for the moment); that it?

View attachment 557076
Yes, Ahab
Ahab. It is as bad if not worse. Some of my favorite lakes are almost mud puddles. We have strict watering rules, car washing rules and waste rules. They're trying to get folks to start collecting gray water for irrigation purposes. Yes it's bad.
Thanks for all the input.

California is a LOT of territory; it's big state. I'm guessing there's variation north-to-south, but clearly there IS a water problem in the state.

DavidWymore

It's a very variable state. East to west too. West is fruits and nuts. ;-)

Out here in the southeast corner of desert, we get our water from the Colorado and the crunch isn't too bad so far.

skav

Thanks! 100dollarman turned me on to the site. Proud new owner of an 90' M932A2 from Barstow last week. Going to DMV in the morning to hopefully get a moving permit and preliminary registration. Going to go historic with it, being it just turned 25 years old. Sorry i missed the rally! Any other get togethers coming up?

Gottlos, I'd love to check out your m109. This is my first MV, so still learning about the world. Seems like it could be a very addicting (re: expensive!) :) Already setting my sights on a van body for a camper conversion.
Ib,

Did you make it to the dmv? I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 931 or 932 but I've been getting conflicting info on registering in Kali. I'd love to hear good news about registering historic. Am I correct in thinking that you don't need a cdl if its historic?

Good luck with it.

ibkickinit

Ib,

Did you make it to the dmv? I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 931 or 932 but I've been getting conflicting info on registering in Kali. I'd love to hear good news about registering historic. Am I correct in thinking that you don't need a cdl if its historic?

Good luck with it.
I did make it o DMV! Not to bad of a process, went to DMV in Newhall. I already have a Class B license, so never cared to push that issue (Going for my Class A soon so I can haul a trailer with it. If you ever go for a B, just get the A; The testing is identical, only difference is what you take the drive test with!). I walked in to DMV with nothing more that my printed, Paid invoice, Release form, and a smile :) I have never seen a DMV clerk so confused before! At first the Clerk was dismissive and insisted that I needed a title. He said "the last one he did, the guy had some form had something from the government (Presumably an SF-97)".. I wanted to pickup my truck and drive it home Thursday (This was Monday). I explained what the SF-97 was and that not every vehicle comes with one, insisting that everyone else in my club had done it with nothing more than an invoice and a smile...... After 10 minutes of him walking back and forth to his supervisor, and insisting that I still needed a title, we had a breakthrough! He admitted he just didn't know how to do what I was asking and to be patient with him as he tried to figure it out. In addition to the Application for title I had already filled out, he had me complete a form about weight for commercial vehicle and an application for historic registration, of course with the remark "Is that thing even old enough?"... Then he needed an override from the manager for a non-standard VIN (xx/xxxxxx). They put the slash down as a 1! Do yourself a favor and omit the slash.... I'll come back to that.

Ultimately my outcome was:
$104 for Historic Vehicle Registration
Still needed: Title Bond (Because of no title), CHP inspection.
Gave me a temporary tag good through end of May.

Bonded title ran me $100 though AIS, valid 3 years, same as DMV requires. CHP inspection was scheduled for the following Tuesday.

Recovery went perfectly, the Rep for Iron Planet was a great guy in Barstow. Drove it out to me, waited while I went over the truck and checked fluids. Engine Oil, Trans Oil, Coolant, Brake Fluid, All 3 Diffs, Transfer Case were full and fluids looked new. Stopped in Barstow to top off 2 tires that were low but not flat. 115 miles home, great drive. Steering was a little loose for my taste but compared to other large trucks I drive at work, it wasn't out of the ordinary. Many say bring ear plugs, but it was no louder than I was used to! Governor kept me pegged at 59-60 almost the entire way :)

CHP VIN Officer was very nice, not very concerned about stolen parts on a truck of that nature lol. checked the mileage, matched the VIN to data plate, and did his computer magic. He said he could see where the slash looks like a 1, and said best to leave it as such. He ran just the last 6 digits to see if that would be a better number to give me, but as he guessed, it came back to not 1, but 4 stolen vehicles LOL. He signed me off and I was done!

Just have to find time to drop the paperwork off at DMV.

Consensus seems to be that I should stop at scales, but many also seem to plead ignorance....

Skav, I keep the truck out in Castaic, you are welcome to come by and check it out.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad your registration process went smoothly. The Newhall DMV office is a hidden gem. If you get there early enough you are in and out. I ended up hiring a service to take care of my DMV. Too many flaming hoops, real and imagined, for me. Now my M109a3 is a recreational vehicle for about $130 a year vs. $1400 bucks per year commercial. Since I can't back a trailer to save my back side I'll probably never get a class "A". I might go for a "B" for the proof of talent. :driver:

skav

I did make it o DMV! Not to bad of a process, went to DMV in Newhall. I already have a Class B license, so never cared to push that issue (Going for my Class A soon so I can haul a trailer with it. If you ever go for a B, just get the A; The testing is identical, only difference is what you take the drive test with!). I walked in to DMV with nothing more that my printed, Paid invoice, Release form, and a smile :) I have never seen a DMV clerk so confused before! At first the Clerk was dismissive and insisted that I needed a title. He said "the last one he did, the guy had some form had something from the government (Presumably an SF-97)".. I wanted to pickup my truck and drive it home Thursday (This was Monday). I explained what the SF-97 was and that not every vehicle comes with one, insisting that everyone else in my club had done it with nothing more than an invoice and a smile...... After 10 minutes of him walking back and forth to his supervisor, and insisting that I still needed a title, we had a breakthrough! He admitted he just didn't know how to do what I was asking and to be patient with him as he tried to figure it out. In addition to the Application for title I had already filled out, he had me complete a form about weight for commercial vehicle and an application for historic registration, of course with the remark "Is that thing even old enough?"... Then he needed an override from the manager for a non-standard VIN (xx/xxxxxx). They put the slash down as a 1! Do yourself a favor and omit the slash.... I'll come back to that.

Ultimately my outcome was:
$104 for Historic Vehicle Registration
Still needed: Title Bond (Because of no title), CHP inspection.
Gave me a temporary tag good through end of May.

Bonded title ran me $100 though AIS, valid 3 years, same as DMV requires. CHP inspection was scheduled for the following Tuesday.

Recovery went perfectly, the Rep for Iron Planet was a great guy in Barstow. Drove it out to me, waited while I went over the truck and checked fluids. Engine Oil, Trans Oil, Coolant, Brake Fluid, All 3 Diffs, Transfer Case were full and fluids looked new. Stopped in Barstow to top off 2 tires that were low but not flat. 115 miles home, great drive. Steering was a little loose for my taste but compared to other large trucks I drive at work, it wasn't out of the ordinary. Many say bring ear plugs, but it was no louder than I was used to! Governor kept me pegged at 59-60 almost the entire way :)

CHP VIN Officer was very nice, not very concerned about stolen parts on a truck of that nature lol. checked the mileage, matched the VIN to data plate, and did his computer magic. He said he could see where the slash looks like a 1, and said best to leave it as such. He ran just the last 6 digits to see if that would be a better number to give me, but as he guessed, it came back to not 1, but 4 stolen vehicles LOL. He signed me off and I was done!

Just have to find time to drop the paperwork off at DMV.

Consensus seems to be that I should stop at scales, but many also seem to plead ignorance....

Skav, I keep the truck out in Castaic, you are welcome to come by and check it out.
That's great news. I'd love to meet up and check it out when your in the area.

I'll send you a PM tonight.

Thanks!

chrsbb19

Ill be headin to lamoore California due to new orders, currently in the Navy and own an M816. I am interested in a rally, any ideas when the next one will be? I hope i dont miss it, not sure when it will arrive from Hawaii.

papakb

chrsbb19,

The next big California meet it at Tower Park in Lodi, September 20 - 26. This is the second largest MV meet on the west coast after our April meet. For more information visit the Military Vehicle Collectors of California website at www.mvccnews.net. We're the largest MV affiliate organization in the US and have members from San Diego to Seattle.

Kurt Lesser
MVCC President

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks