• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

California members

Bhpdbrad

Hello CA peeps.

i'm currently getting ready to enter the 5-ton club as a hobby and enthusiast. Using the truck of choice for fun and play - but nothing too extreme.

My question(s):
Recommentadions of a good (trusted) repair shop that's familiar with these trucks? I can do normal maintence - but when it comes to doing the heavy duty stuff I'd like to know a good place in Southern CA (LA/ Ventura County) that knows these trucks.

Paint shops?

Tire shops? (Heard and seen that a lot won't work on these).

Are CTIS really a pain to maintain / trouble shoot?

Any surplus part shops in CA? I see most are in the mid-west.

Any info appreciated,

thanks
Brad

NovacaineFix

Hello CA peeps.

i'm currently getting ready to enter the 5-ton club as a hobby and enthusiast. Using the truck of choice for fun and play - but nothing too extreme.

My question(s):
Recommentadions of a good (trusted) repair shop that's familiar with these trucks? I can do normal maintence - but when it comes to doing the heavy duty stuff I'd like to know a good place in Southern CA (LA/ Ventura County) that knows these trucks.

Paint shops?

Tire shops? (Heard and seen that a lot won't work on these).

Are CTIS really a pain to maintain / trouble shoot?

Any surplus part shops in CA? I see most are in the mid-west.

Any info appreciated,

thanks
Brad

I know that "Those Military Guys" are located in Rancho Cucamonga, not sure how close that is to you, but they are very familiar with 2.5 & 5-tons.
I know one of the guys who woke there and it seems that they really take pride in their work. Don't know how they are on price for shop work, you'll have to investigate that part on your own.

Their web site is at :
http://www.thosemilitaryguys.com/

They are also members on here as well:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/member.php?42572-Those-Military-Guys

SLOrazorsedge

Welcome 71DeuceAK. I live in Atascadero and was stationed at Ft. Wainwright, AK 1971-72. I have 5 M939 variations and 12 different MV trailers. A-town is likely changed since you were last here, come on home!

71DeuceAK

Oh wow! That's great! Where in Atascadero, if you don't mind me asking (feel free to PM me if you don't want to mention that in public forum).

Oh wow! I'm moving to Fairbanks in August to go to college. Might be living in a house in Delta Junction...and having a Deuce as my daily driver, going up and down that Richardson Highway. It's all 4-lane freeway now...

I grew up there during the '00s. I was last there 2 years ago. (I'm 18). It sure has changed/grown a lot, even since I can remember! Everything along Highway 41 has grown up. I miss the North County in general.

I think I'll PM you...great to find someone in the same area!

SLOrazorsedge

71DeuceAK, I live right off the Del Rio/101 interchange in Atascadero. Delta Junction was just a tiny village when I was up there in 71-72. I was what the Army deemed a commercial truck driver (64C30 - MOS) operating commercial rigs painted the gloss OD green, mostly International 10-ton tractors. I supported the Arctic Rangers at Ft. Wainwright and hauled rations and booze for the officers club at Eielson AFB. Those B52 SAC pilots needed a lot of anti-freeze! Eielson at that time had the worlds 3rd longest runway at 7 miles long. I got to see it up close and personal when the Alaska Airlines airliner I was on couldn't get the nose gear down for a landing at Fairbanks International. We went up to Eielson when the weather was -40 on the ground in an ice storm. We flew low level passes for about an hour as ground forces shined huge lights up trying to see if the nose gear was down w/o luck. We went in for a crash landing. As it turned out the nose gear was partially down but canted over to the side, no belly flop. I was among a group of Army skydivers who were the first to skydive into the Arctic Circle. It was -20 on the ground and had to be -50 at 3,000ft. We went up in an Army single engine Otter and did a mass exit at 3,000ft. I landed in a snow bank up to my neck. As a take off from the great movie, "We were soldiers once and young" up there "We were soldiers once and stupid ".

71DeuceAK

@SLOrazorsedge, Yeah, I lived up above the high school, on Linda Vista Ave.

Nowadays, Delta Junction is like 900 people I think, but the house I might live in is on the north outskirts of town, out Tanana Loop Rd.

I might be back in Atascadero for a week or so in June, want to meet up? PM me if interested...would be neat to meet a local 5 ton owner! I can keep you posted on dates/schedule etc.

Tom Thumb

Hi 71DeuceAK. Good to hear from you. By June I should have something to show you and SLOrazersedge.

I'm just getting into this hobby. I've got a M934 in Junction City that i'll be picking up on Jan. 11th. I'm also bidding on a M932 A2 on Jan. 6th. If I win that bid, I'll take out the 8.3LT and winch out of the 932 put that in the back of the 934 and drive it back to Paso Robles. Then swap out the engines, install the winch and make a RV. I have to look at the pros and cons of making an RV out of the existing box or simply installing a salvaged RV box on the 934 frame. I'd like to keep the existing box if doable. The guys at Valley Metals in Junction City will take out the engine, winch and associated parts for me before I get there. They'll get the rest of the truck as a parts truck. Mel seems to be a good guy and has said he's willing to work with me on all this.

Tom Thumb

@ Tom Thumb,
Neat, hope we can get together! Let me know if you're interested and I'll PM with contact info.

Sure I'm interested in meeting up 71Deuce. PM me and SLOrazersedge. Hopefully we can all meet up while you're here. Since my last post, I didn't get the engine, turns out GL sold me a truck without the 8.3 turbo as advertised. But I bought one on this last auction. I'll be heading to Ohio and Oklahoma to pick up stuff this week.

ibkickinit

Who was driving the tan m923 on Parthenia by Reseda in Northridge a few days ago? You have there LED headlights like mine... I was headed to visit mine parked down the street and thought someone was driving mine away! Would love to connect with owners around the San Fernando/Santa Clarita Valleys..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks