• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camo pattern layout

Capt.Marion

Most just free hand it. They draw the chalk outline of the different colors (from the Paint and Markings TM, which is around somewhere...), start with the full base coat of 383 Green (for Nato 3-color, at least), and then generally use an airbrush or a brush or small sprayer to spray the outline freehand w/o masking, and then go to town inside the outlines.

The military certainly did NOT mask it--definitely just freehand. Most units from what I've read just eyeballed the camo pattern, too... they didn't necessarily outline it.

scoutmanadam

im going to freehand mine when i paint it next weekend. even if its not exact it cant help but look better then it does now. on my deuce, i am thinking about matching the color pattern on the bed with my tarp. what are you painting

kennys@wi.rr.com

I masked mine. It was a lot of extra work to do and then I air brushed most of the lines to feather them out. Personally I like the sharp lines so I may redo them all. It really depends on the look you want.

rlwm211

I generally freehand, but have resorted to using a piece of chalk to draw the outlines when it is needed. If I am not mistaken, the paint manual has a section on how to scale the patterns onto the vehicles.

RL

ryan77

I generally freehand, but have resorted to using a piece of chalk to draw the outlines when it is needed. If I am not mistaken, the paint manual has a section on how to scale the patterns onto the vehicles.

RL

Does the chalk wash off from under the carc?? I tried that on one and chalk wouldnt wash off but i didnt use carc for the brown and black on that one???

rlwm211

I was repainting my whole truck and only had to pattern where I had completely reprimered. The chalk I used was very light and was covered with Black when I was done. I usually brush it off, or wipe it off with a rag as I go.

JB

When doing the camo on my duece and trailers we painted a base forrest green then chalked the out lines for the pattern and painted over the chalk. Just don't dig the chalk into the base paint and you will never see it in the end.
The m101a2 i use for shows had crisp lines from the factory robot sprayers. When i repaint it will not be the same.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Outline without chalk

I would not recomend using chalk to outline the pattern. If you paint over it the chalk will not wipe off but show through the flat paint. Just get a copy of the pattern from the TM's and color it in. Then free hand the pattern doing the brown first then the black last for the 3 color camo pattern.

The way to get the scale right is to hold the small colored TM pattern in your hand and STAND BACK from the truck to get proper scale.

David

Last edited:
Well im sure u guys have done more patterns than me.But i had to chime in on this.i always used chalk very lightly did the pattern and then i used the colors accordingly the only thing to always remeber when doing a pattern A CAMO PATTERN DOES NOT HAVE ANY STRAIGHT LINES IN IT ITS SUPPOSE TO FLOW and with the military they really did want the camo patterns to match however i have seen 7 diffrent Mtvr 7 ton wreckers that were painted at the same time and their was suttle diffrences if u knew what to look for. With a camo pattern on your personal MV add a little of your own touch have fun(be a kid it is paint by numbers Lol ) its your vehicle if u are happy wth it thats all that matters:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks