• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camp Delta/Tower Park April

Major Asstyrd

The big show is almost here! Early birds arriving Sunday!! Long range forecast is low 70s, partly cloudy, 30% chance of showers on Thursday. 100% chance of OD all week!

Remember the enhanced levee parking near the Campground 2 exit ramp if you don't have a campsite to park in.

Stalwart

Looking forward to it, the wife decided not to bring her Fox this year and the Scorpion is just a little too heavy to tow that far with the mountain passes between here and Lodi. Please keep the rain away this year, my ATV still has some mud from last year!

Major Asstyrd

Looking forward to it, the wife decided not to bring her Fox this year and the Scorpion is just a little too heavy to tow that far with the mountain passes between here and Lodi. Please keep the rain away this year, my ATV still has some mud from last year!
Glad you posted this Stuart, was thinking of you two. I have a friend who wants to buy a good armored car or halftrack and wondering if you know of anything? Give me a shout off the grid at in_garage"at"hotmail.com. Also want to remind you of the Concours d'Eleguns display planned for April 2012 at Tower. Mounted or towed ordnance. - John

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would you please post the link to the map of the TP camp grounds.
I think it would be a great idea if it was part of the basic page.
Bruce

Major Asstyrd

Would you please post the link to the map of the TP camp grounds.
I think it would be a great idea if it was part of the basic page.
Bruce
Not sure what you mean but here is a cool map Tom Hovis put together. Interractive - hover your pointer over the site and the camper name pops up. Even a photo, check out #386!

http://www.1945gpw.com/tower_park/tp_map.aspx
Maybe Stockton/Delta KOA has their map up now.

chvyking

Wanted to ask when is the best day to see everthing. i see everyone talking about friday Saturday, but i know it goes for a whole week. and is it open to non campers would love to come out and see mv.

pat038536

I just met Bill Campbell from G503.com on the way to Tower Park today. I was walking across the street to Carl's Jr for lunch and he was sitting in the parking lot. We talked for a few minutes and then we proceeded our separate ways.

TheRecorder

Tower Park Ride Around

Here is a sample of the event. April 2011.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWoWQBFfh80&feature=channel_video_title[/media]

JDToumanian

Cool video Jim!

Despite the sore back from 400 miles each way, I'm already looking forward to next year when I plan to have my mule there. With the current trend in fuel prices, a convoy like ours may become something like, "Remember when we used to drive our deuces all the way to Tower Park?"...... So I want to have fun and do it while I am able. As it is, I'll likely carry enough WMO to cover 50% of our fuel needs next year.

The swap meet was awesome, I bought another RT-524 (it doesn't work right) and got a good deal on a great working PRC-77 on the AM-2060 amplifier base that gave Jim and I communication for the convoy home. I also got a hardbound ORD-9 SNL G742 for $15 (HA ha), a mule engine overhaul kit (new crank, cylinders, pistons with rods, lifters, and gaskets) for $80, and some other odds and ends.

The radio communication was invaluable. It was great being able to talk truck-to-truck not only within our convoy, but with others. On the way home, we came upon a Blazer and M880 on the side of the road with trouble... As Jim and I were talking about where to turn around to go back and see if they needed assistance, they came on the radio (51.00 mhz) and said they were fine, a tow truck was on the way as they had lost two tires and had no spare.

Anyone on the west coast who wasn't there needs to re-evaluate their life and make plans for next year.... The "West Coast Convoy" should really be more than our two deuces!

Jon

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

Well I know I'm a bit on the fringe but .
If TP had the same type of events as DB then I would spend the time and money to attend but since it doesn't I will refrain from taking part in it.
This is not to knock the event it just doesn't fill my niche.
400 miles each way really cuts into my cleanup cost.
I don't see any need to re evaluate until TP is accommodating to my needs after 400 miles of driving.
I find most every thing I want on line or at the Brothers, why drive 400 miles for it.
I'm sure TP would not find my style acceptable.

I'm glad you had fun and found some cool stuff for cheap . For me I add the cost of fuel to what I bought and find that E bay or SS Classified isn't to bad.

Stalwart

Heck, I drove 830 miles each way getting 9.2 mpg and it was well worth our money and time, it was a fun event! It also gave me an excuse to drive down to LA (and extra 800+ total) and pick up a Whisperwatt generator.

JDToumanian

If TP had the same type of events as DB then I would spend the time and money to attend but since it doesn't I will refrain from taking part in it.
Dirtbag is really just a 'cleanup' event where about half of the participants happen to drive MVs to get there. And that is not to knock Dirtbag, just to point out that they are not the same kind of event at all. I am an MV enthusiast first and foremost, and a 'cleanup' enthusiast a far distant second. To each their own I guess. The deals I got on radio equipment alone vs. 'online' prices, paid for food, camp site, and fuel both ways. The Brothers were there at TP, by the way.... and they rarely have radio equipment or paper goods like manuals at their yard.

BLK HMMWV

That right there is what makes this country what it is.
There is something for everyone and nobody has to fit into a cookie cutter mold.
How many Watts was the Whisper Watt?

BLK HMMWV

JDT
Wow they must have been giving 524's away.
Just curious how long did it take you to get your Ham licence?
I have a nice working 524 and 442 just curious what you payed for your non working one. I'm thinking of selling mine to get some of the newer style stuff.
I don't have a Ham licence so I really don't plan on using it. I just want it for static display.But if it doesn't take to much time from my cleanup activities maybe I will hit the books and get it. Most of the DB crowd doesn't have a Ham licence.

I'm guessing that this must be the reason that DB an TP have ended up on the same weekend in the past . You either into clean up or sore backs. Nobody ever said they were the same type of event.
I guess I'm just a rebel. I'm a cleanup person first and second and if it's a three day event then third.

BH

No.2Diesel

Hi,

That looks like a great event! A bit of everything. It's like Aberdeen except there's trees....and shade..... and grass!!! ahhh, if only we had those things..... :-D How hot does it get? I'm sure its nice and dry though.

Sorry for being naive, despite reading through many related threads I haven't found the origin/meaning for the word "cleanup." I don't want to guess... :mrgreen:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing for me to re evaluate - either I have the MONEY and time to roll over 900 miles or I don't. This year I didn't have the time. Next year being newly retired I might not have the money.

The Gimlis

Whatever your reasons for being there, I believe most everyone at TP had good time and those at DB did the same. Mission accomplished!