• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can 12 and 24 V share same ground?

zout

seeing as I have one foot in the grave already - I just tie on a copper ground cable to my copper anke braclet for my ground. What a better ground than that.

Thought you were going to ask if you could ground 12v & 24v to the same post along with having an electrical distribution box for 120v and ground that to the same post.aua

KaiserM109

Yes, but only when you have a 24v alt hooked to two batterys and a second 12v alt hooked to one(of those two) battery.

The 12v alternator HAS TO HAVE ITS OWN BATTERY. You cannot charge one of the batteries in the 24v string with a separate alternator; that will overcharge it and boil off the electrolyte. You also cannot use one of the batteries in the 24v string separately to get 12v for any serious amount of current because that will overcharge the other battery and boil it off. You have to keep the 2 batteries balanced.

A 24v battery (2 12v batteries in a series) and a 12v battery (which is really 6 2v batteries in a series) can certainly have the same ground. Any good solid connection is okay as long as you remember the chassis is shock mounted from the frame and has a ground strap somewhere to the frame. The same is true with the engine. Make sure those ground straps are good. I don't remember where the chassis-to-frame strap is but the engine-to-chassis strap is near the Right-Rear engine mount. ABSOLUTELY do not start the engine if there is any doubt that the engine-to-frame ground is solid. It can blow out things like the turn signal box, etc.

Arlyn

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 12v alternator HAS TO HAVE ITS OWN BATTERY. You cannot charge one of the batteries in the 24v string with a separate alternator; that will overcharge it and boil off the electrolyte. You also cannot use one of the batteries in the 24v string separately to get 12v for any serious amount of current because that will overcharge the other battery and boil it off. You have to keep the 2 batteries balanced.

A 24v battery (2 12v batteries in a series) and a 12v battery (which is really 6 2v batteries in a series) can certainly have the same ground. Any good solid connection is okay as long as you remember the chassis is shock mounted from the frame and has a ground strap somewhere to the frame. The same is true with the engine. Make sure those ground straps are good. I don't remember where the chassis-to-frame strap is but the engine-to-chassis strap is near the Right-Rear engine mount. ABSOLUTELY do not start the engine if there is any doubt that the engine-to-frame ground is solid. It can blow out things like the turn signal box, etc.

Arlyn

All great advice. The main reason I grounded everything to the seat was - that's where everything was grounded when I bought the truck. I used it for about two years and when I added the 12 volt system I went with what had already been working.

I know the alts to frame grounds are good since I reinstalled those in the same place when I installed the new alts.

I did change the seat ground bolt to something less rusty when I added the 12 volt ground. Maybe I should have kept the old one?

:razz:

JasonS

Arlyn

Why? This is EXACTLY how battery equalizers work.

Kasper31

YES,,,,it will work, I have replaced the 25amp 24vdc GENERATOR with a 100amp 24 vdc single wire alternator and added a 65amp 12 vdc single wire alternator for the 12 volt system. Both share the same ground as they are both mounted to the engine block on their respective mounts with the ground wires going to the engine which is also grounded to the frame.:p:p
I guess what I forgot to mention is, the 24v alternator goes to its own batteries ( 2-#27 series ) for running the truck equipment and the 12v alternator goes to its own battery ( 1-deep cycle ) that runs my 12v equipment, I/e two complete and separate voltage systems.

Last edited:

mendo

Why? This is EXACTLY how battery equalizers work.

no, it is not.

if you run a constant 24V through 2 batteries in series (24v) both batteries will see 12V and the same amperage if they are the same size and age. when you are putting 14.5 or so volts on one of them and 24 something through both you will drop the voltage of the 2nd battery down so that they only add up to 24 v or so. this is rough math just to give you the ideer. bottom line is that it is pretty hard on the batteries to run it like this. it may be cheaper in the long run to add one extra battery just for the 12V, and keep the 2 for the 24v nice and equal.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just put three commercial batteries in the box like the pics show. Connect the two normally and connect the 12v stuff to the third and it will work just fine.

sw

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey now, isn't that my line? :wink: My gawd, we now have the seat bolt, and Jesus nut. What are we coming to? I may have to go to church this Sunday and pray over this one.
I'm not sure they would know what to do with you in a church.

treeguy

If you wanted to charge/ top off 2 extra 12V batteries you keep at home, could you just throw them in your truck, connect the pos to the other neg and run jumper cables respectivly to them and your truck batteries while you drive around all day?

JasonS

no, it is not.

if you run a constant 24V through 2 batteries in series (24v) both batteries will see 12V and the same amperage if they are the same size and age. when you are putting 14.5 or so volts on one of them and 24 something through both you will drop the voltage of the 2nd battery down so that they only add up to 24 v or so. this is rough math just to give you the ideer. bottom line is that it is pretty hard on the batteries to run it like this. it may be cheaper in the long run to add one extra battery just for the 12V, and keep the 2 for the 24v nice and equal.

No, look at the installation manual for a battery equalizer. They apply 1/2 of the 28V (ie. 14V) to the lower battery.

Here is a link for ya:

http://www.allbatterysalesandservice.com/graphics/52109-52204-52206-52208-52210.pdf

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the price for say a 60 amp equalizer? I still think it's cheaper in the long run to add a 12 volt alt and another battery. My replacement costs on a 24 volt 1one alt is $123 - cheap enough to carry a spare.

And no matter what I run on the 12 volt side or how bad I screw it up, the truck is still gonna start and take me home.

steelandcanvas

What's the price for say a 60 amp equalizer? I still think it's cheaper in the long run to add a 12 volt alt and another battery. My replacement costs on a 24 volt 1one alt is $123 - cheap enough to carry a spare.

And no matter what I run on the 12 volt side or how bad I screw it up, the truck is still gonna start and take me home.
I agree. I have been debating this issue for days. Your last sentence sums it up DUG.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An alternator is not equivalent to a Battery equalizer.

JasonS, this is about the 4th thread that you have debated the merits of alternators, batterys, and equalizers.

Why don't you either let it rest, or modify your MV whatever way you figure out with your "advanced degree" , and experience(or lack there of). Then post that up, instead of theories and math and whatever else you've posted lately.

JasonS

An alternator is not equivalent to a Battery equalizer.

JasonS, this is about the 4th thread that you have debated the merits of alternators, batterys, and equalizers.

Why don't you either let it rest, or modify your MV whatever way you figure out with your "advanced degree" , and experience(or lack there of). Then post that up, instead of theories and math and whatever else you've posted lately.

Doghead,

I won't belabor this any further. Have it your way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks