• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CAn anyone tell me what these levers do??

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I was cruising ebay and came across an in cab heater. No biggie. But when I looked at the picture it had three levers coming out of the floor to the right of the gear shift. There appears to be another lever just to the left of the gear shift.

Also it appears there is a lock on the front air shift lever?

Can anyone shed any light on this? It appears to be a 'normal' army setup, but being a noob, I don't recognize this set up... jim

http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-HOT-WATER-H...Z6605724839QQcategoryZ135QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mangus580

Well jim, to start with, I think we are looking at an M37 ;-)

Although, there does seem to be a lever I dont know what it is... might be for the winch..

Jones

M-37 for sure. The two closest levers are two/four wheel drive and high/low range for the transfer case, lever with button is of course emer. brake, tallest is transmission shifter. Far short, flat lever is probably PTO but the shorter one with the gear shift knob has me guessing too.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M37,
Wasn't that a later edition of the M35? I'm confused about the 'two wheel/four wheel' lever. Didn't the M37 have three axles like the deuce?

Sorry for the questions. Just trying to learn. thx

jim

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like this M37 has a Ranger (or something like it) overdrive unit installed ahead of the 4-speed accounting for the extra lever. The others are correctly described.

dg

rizzo

Jones said:
M-37 for sure. The two closest levers are two/four wheel drive and high/low range for the transfer case, lever with button is of course emer. brake, tallest is transmission shifter. Far short, flat lever is probably PTO but the shorter one with the gear shift knob has me guessing too.
maybe he put a double trans in. mudboggers do it all the time to get extra low

Elwenil

G744 said:
The civilian PW came out in '46, the M37 in '51. Just a little point of order.

dg
You are correct, I was confusing the M37 with the earlier Dodge military trucks that the PW was based off of.

CGarbee

We have a WINNER!!
G744 is correct... That is my 1953 USMC M37 with the Cummins 4BT under the hood. The photo is from my website and was taken when I was running a RangerII Overdrive between the GM specification flywheel adapter/clutch/bellhousing and the stock New Process four speed transmission (it was a custom Ranger OD fabricated by Advance Adapters). Ratio of the Ranger in OD was 0.73:1. Since the OD was between the engine and the stock transmission, I could split the shifts (especially the 3-4 step by going 3l-3h-4l-4h which really helped keep me from lugging the engine withe a load). Used to run with a loaded M101 trailer and a full load on the M37 (3/4 ton truck) at 75mph on the Interstate while getting 17mpg. (truck has 4.89 gears in place of the stock 5.88 gears and is running on Michelin 900r16XZL tires). Truck has four wheel disc brakes from www.uglytruckling.com

Jones is correct in naming the shift levers...

The truck is currently sporting a ZF S5-42 five speed transmission behind the Cummins (custom flywheel adapter from www.fordcummins.com) that allows for the use of a Dodge specification flywheel, starter, and clutch while placing the starter on the passenger side (better clearance this way). Transmission is fully synchronized and has an OD ratio of 0.76:1. I lose a tad at the top end, but it is way easier to show my friends how to drive than the twin stick setup that I had...

For that matter, the shot that BFR has in his post is of the side of my truck before I painted the front bumper and applied the markings... :)

Glad that you all are finding my photos useful... :)

Now: Anyone want to take a guess as to the identity of the extra DATCON guages that I slipped under the steering column??

CGarbee

One other thing, the lock hanging down from the dash is attached to a loop that was attached as part of the vehicle security system by the USMC. Chain that is looped through the steering wheel is secured by the lock when the truck is unattended (great idea considering the number of guys in my office who know how to crank up the grean vehicle...)... Works very well in conjunction with a battery cut off switch...

And another thing: That is NOT my Ebay auction... I had no idea that the particular vendor who is selling that heater was using my photo...

CGarbee

Yeah, I'm going to shoot him an email... At the very least, I want a discount when I visit his booth at Aberdeen if he attends... ;) I don't buy anything from Ebay from him since he will not ship to my office (claims that he can only ship to my home since the credit card billing address is my home address, not the office address) so I hadn't spotted this listing.

I have heard in the past from folks who do business with him on a routine basis by phone/in person that he is a decent guy...

mangus580

you can fix that CC problem.... Call your CC company, and tell them you want to add your 'office' address to your credit card for shipping. Once you do that, he can't deny shipping to your office :)

CGarbee

I did call my CC folks one day about a year ago when I ordered to electronic gear from an outfit in California. Folks at my CC really had no clue and said that they could change my address, but could not add a second one... Since I managed to convince the folks selling the electronics to send them to my office anyway, and since this MV parts dealer is the only one that I have this situation with, I'm not very concerned...

rdixiemiller

I have the same issue when shipping. I can only ship to the address on the credit card or I lose my fraud protection. Considering the number of people who make their living defrauding others, this is something I have to take seriously.
If I know the person from past dealings, I will make exceptions to the rule. For first time buyers (unless vouched for by mutual friends), I have to go with the verified address.
This is nothing personal, just good business in these times.