• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I burn this for fuel....... ?

Crazyguypa

For those of you who may or may not know, I work in a Nuclear Power Plant. That being said, as with any large power plant there is an abundance of oil around. Used as a cooling medium, or for bearing lubrication in the turbines, motors and pumps.

My question is.... can I burn turbine oil in my deuce as fuel? What specifically determines if you can or cannot burn it for fuel? Is there something on the MSDS for the oil that would tell me? I have access to a large amount of oil here at the plant; and if I can burn it for fuel it would not only save me a ton, but would save the company money. Yes the actually pay someone to come pick it up and burn it in there shop.

I just got my filter setup in and my job today when I get home from work this morning is to get it put together and running. I have a sock filter setup and I am using a dual 5/1 micron filter bag. I have 150+ gals of diesel fuel (from our heating boilers at work (oil samples) ), and WMO. The stuff is failry clean so I should have a problem with the 5/1 micron bags. I want to get it as clean as possible before putting it in the truck.

Once the guys at work found out I can burn WMO for fuel, I am receiving it in drums full. Saves them a trip to the local shop to get rid of it, and save me a ton of money.

If any of you guys have insight on the turbine oil as fuel that would be great. If you need to know the speicif types of oil we have here I can list them if need be.

Thanks

I would say try it.
I also burn used oil from diesel-electric generators and transformer-oil. I dilute it with a little gas (petrol), let it sit for a few days or even weeks and filter it with a 20micron sock filter before dumping it into the tank. The deuce loves it, no probs so far and still the old primary fuel filter in place (no clogging yet). Right now I run about 60 % oil, 30% Diesel, and about 10% gas.
It would be interesting to know what kind of specifica there are of the different kinds of oil and their ingridients.

Regards,
Mark

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes turbine oil will burn just fine weather its 32 or 68. I didn't notice any difference. It's a mineral oil and with out much parrafin in it. So as long as it's not burn from a overheating bearing and you get the metal out of it you should be very happy with it. It never get's cold here so i don't know if you will have any cold start issues. Just cut it with gasoline and you should be fine.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had about a hundred quarts of synthetic turbine oil I got in a trailer. All of it has been burnt but not all in one tank.

tjcouch

Wow . . . burning spent nuclear fuel, sort of. Very cool. Say "hi" to Mr. Burns for me. On a more serious topic, it just amazes me how 50 year old technology can be so versatile . . . . . so why are we still paying as much as we do at the pump? (I understand the S and D economics of fuel pricing . . . . . is am speaking esoterically.) :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks