• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian "Pre-CUCV" Chevy

M1031CMT

Why is there almost no info on these trucks on the net?
Welcome to our world. Can be very hard to restore some things due to the lack of info.

We also have a 1984 Canadian 5/4 ton with a 350 gasser (original engine, as the CDN military is really cheap when it comes to truck engines). They didn't get the diesel until later on when they bought the extra 86-87's M1008's and M1010's (no M1009's though) from the end of the GM line that the US military didn't buy.

Attachments

mutt1966

I think I finally found what this brush gaurd that I bought at Tobyhanna in the mid 90's was for a Canadian CUCV it fit my Civi Jimmy but the bumper on my Mil M1009 is shaped different.

Attachments

backroads

Anyone have good color pics showing how these trucks were painted? It looks to me like they were solid green, except for the fenders, grill, and hood painted black. I read about this being called pine tree pattern or something like that, maybe it was on steelsoldiers, I don't remember.

I have an operators manual for the 1975 5/4 ton Canadian Chevrolets. I'll post some pics this weekend.

M1031CMT

They are painted a 2 color camo scheme that was used on many different trucks. Don't have the scheme, but it was pretty common. Just OD and flat black.

Don't really have any good pics. But here are some including that of the MLVW's (Canadian M35's) and M38's which were painted basically the same way.

I doubt the manual you have is in digital form, no? Will have to find one.

Attachments

Wile E. Coyote

Painted two different color greens and black done in broad stripes/ swatches, with no pattern approaching anything as elaborate as either the 3 or 4-color NATO or MERDC paint schemes. I have the actual patterns right from the Canadian gov at work - really badly hand drawn things for the most part - and color references that don't directly cross to anything in the FS-595* color standard though a few things are close. Same colors for all recent Canadian stuff from M38A1 through the CUCV/Five-Quad and Iltis.

The reason it just looks like black and one color green is because the paint used was an IRR formula which had great infra-red properties but very poor UV resistance/ color retention, so after awhile you really have to look at sun-faded older paint jobs to notice the two separate colors.

Some of the IRR paint (made by FEROX) is very toxic to spray and it's use was evidently discontinued, replaced instead by a PPG product which, again, doesn't cross to anything when you give them the product numbers. People have told me you can by the original spec paint from a gov supplier back in Ontario, but given the sun fade properties and the fact the quality of the paint jobs varied *considerably* (seen them painted with rollers and brushes), most seem to just make up something approximate judging by the ones I've seen in shows which still look better than anything I ever saw drive through Ft. Lewis!

backroads

Here are a few pics of the operating instructions.

Half of the book is written in english, and the other half is written in french.

Judging by the staples, the french half is the front. If you flip the book over, the rear cover looks just like the front, but it is in english, and it is also inverted. (Its kind of like the instuctions for my new cell phone, but that was english/spanish.) Both sections are identical except for the language.

In the last pic, you can see why I was under the impression that it was a two color, black and OD paint scheme.

Attachments

backroads

Some interesting stuff...

They caried bolt-on wheel mounted winch drums, for pulling yourself out of mud.

Also, in addition to the Military style headlight/blackout switch, the original chevy headlight switch was retained. Twisting it counter clockwise would turn on the under-dash courtesy lights. Pulling it OUT would turn on a convoy light, if equipped. (amber beacon?)

M1031CMT

Yup all Canadian military manuals (as of the late 60's I believe) are both in english and french. Current manuals have one half of the page in each language.

Yes, technically, they are 3 color when they are newly painted. But a lot of the time when they were repainted, they were only painted with the two colors, as the third brownish-OD was only put in blotches here and there (and I guess they were either short on time or too lazy to paint it on). We have bought more than a few surplused vehicles where there is no third color.

You can see the blotch by the light bracket on the drivers side of this MP iltis for example.

Thanks for posting the pictures of the manual. We are on the lookout now for one to go with our truck. If we do, we will be sure to scan it so that we can put it on the internet for others who might need it.

Attachments

trucknut

Hi guys I am the owner of a 76 5/4 that had a communication or ambulance body on it. It was picked up by a farmer who used it as a fuel truck with a pickup box added on. When i got it the box was shot so I built a flat deck. After I added 9:00-16 Michelins I had to add rear wheelwells for tire clearence. The truck runs, handles and looks much better with the 37 tall tires. The springs are stock and the front fenders trimmed for clearence. The cab has a bench seat that was added so a three man crew could ride inside. You can see where the gun rack was cut out.
I would be very interested in the manual for it . If you want some more pictures I'll did through my files for some.
Bruce

M1031CMT

Anyone here know anything about converting my manual to a digital format?
You have to scan it page by page with a scanner. Scanners have programs that come with them that will put all the pages together into a single .pdf file.

Might be able to get a copy shop to do it for you, but I don't know how much they would charge.

If I get a hold of a manual I will scan it, as I have a scanner.

M1031CMT

Found some more pictures of the trucks for anyone interested. No real extra information, but pictures are always good.

Robert Lafreniere Truck Pictures - Light Military Vehicles

I added the pictures to this thread in case the site goes down one day.

Our truck will end up looking like the truck in the final two pictures when we put that communications box on it that was on the 84 Chevy onto the 76 Chevy since I seriously doubt we will ever find an ambulance box for it.

Attachments

Last edited:

M1031CMT

Pictures of our box after it was removed from the 84 Chevy. We bought the 84 just for the box, but so far are still debating what to do with the truck as it was a military truck and we would rather not cut it up.

Was molested a bit and some corrosion of the aluminum around the bottom of the box, but she is in decent shape. Very likely won't put any communications equipment back in it, but it would work well as a camper or even just to haul stuff to the shows with.

Attachments

1976Chevy

hi new here lol I was wondering if there's a wiring diagram for these old trucks as my wiring fried and would like to re do all of it back the way it was thanks

oboyjohn

Hi there 1976Chevy. I may still have the wiring diagram in an old manual somewhere downstairs. Give me a few days to locate it. I drove one of those 5/4 ton Chevy's for almost 7 years. My truck was the unit's mobile repair truck.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you find the diagram please post it so we can add it to the collection.

Thanks

oboyjohn

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks