• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

carc paint question

nyoffroad

I would never bother with the CARC again, just not worth the PIA factor. Way to hot in the summer, snow won't slide off it very well in the winter and bird sh-t sticks ect ect. I sprayed over OD camo with S.W.desert tan and it looked good but took for ever to dry! I just stripped almost all the paint including the original green using paint stripper on the exterior and just paint thinner and rags inside. Chemical resistant?? Maybe chemical warfare. T

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first truck had to be "right", so I had it sandblasted to bare steel, zinc primed, and shot with milspec CARC. (see avatar pic)

My 2nd truck had good but faded CARC on it, so I just spot blasted anywhere that was trying to rust and rattlecanned over the existing CARC. I'm indecently pleased with it, at about 1/10 the cost. This will be my approach in the future. Easy to touch up, and cheap.

Some observations:

1) CARC is FAR tougher than rattlecan. I can lightly sandblast where I've painted rattlecan over CARC and take the paint back down to the CARC without damage to the CARC.

2)CARC is easy to get oil off of. I sandblasted and repainted some towbars and then soaked them in used motor oil. I placed them in the bed of the (CARCed) truck in the sun to remove excess oil. The result was a big yucky oil splotch on the bed. It sat in direct desert sunlight for a couple of weeks before I got around to cleaning it. Dish detergent and water removed it to the point you can't tell it was ever there.

OP, you have PM inbound.

junkpart

I think I'm going with the carc even at 80 a gallon is not bad for paint. Salt is a chemical and comes rite off the truck when its covered in it in the winter.

junkpart

I found a sw dealer who can get me the paint. I gave them the 383, 34094, 30051, 37030 but they said they need the military spec number too. Any one know what the spec is for sw ?

FloridaAKM

I got with my local SW dealer & they stated that I had to order in multiples of 4 gallons @ a time. They didn't state whether I could mix & match colors or it was one color per 4 gallon minimum!

A buddy is going to paint his soon to be purchased 1982 Deuce a flat OD, so I may have to try & split a case with him!

englishp

you will need a chemical coating store ask you local Sherwin Williams store they can give you the number to the nearest one.green is f93g110,black is f93g11,and brown is f93n110 this is the type 3 mil-dtl-53039.shipping and haz they should be 160.00 a gal.two gal green and one gal of black and half gal of brown.the shelf life on this stuff is less than a year so it might take them awhile to get some since they don't make a large bunch at a time.....not sure if I violated any privacy policy on here for giving the info here if so was not my intention.thats the amount for a m939 series truck

Last edited:

englishp

The girl at chemical coatings told me it was the difference in what service used it, not sure that's true. Type one was a two part and hazardous. Type 3 has a smoother finish when applied. I Found a lot of this info on the sm web site chemical coatings took a bit of looking but a crown and coke or three and I was there.lol. type in mil-dtl-53039d on search and probably can pull the types up.I think type 3 is the only one that the finish is smoother.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks