• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CARC spray cans?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick question --- I know CARC is more toxic / hazardous than anything you will find at wal - mart or your local hardware store.

However how does it compare with other heavy industry coatings such as 2 part epoxy paint etc? Have had some of this on various projects and they paint guys did not seem more worried about it compared with what they usually wear for paint application.

In other words is CARC worse than industreal paint or is it simply that most people don't routinely use either or deal with the associated risks.
It's really no more dangerous than industrial coatings. The main reason I don't llike it is it's exspensive and is hard to spray. Gillispie paint is really hard to beat for the price. It holds up well also. I keep a few cans of 383 for touch up and it matches CARC fairly well.

Jones

Yep. Imron and any of the other industrial coatings are epoxies and have the same warnings and hazards.
I think CARC stands out with it's silicas as being a problem even after it's cured.
If you're not in a tactical situation and need CARC's properties and protection then there are a lot of acceptable substitutes.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the rapco subsatute carc tan paint close to my cucvs Paint in my avatar?
I've seen several different pics trying to show different shades but the bottom line is you really can't tell much about paint match from pics. The lighting and picture quality has a lot to do with the finish you see in a pic. If you are concerned about a match I'd just get a can from www.rapcoparts.com ( it's only $6+ shipping) and spray a spot and see how you like it.

Cucvnut

Well i plan to repaint the whole truck in tan the hood is scratched and has surface rust and lots of peeling tan carc with the OD green showing thru would six cans be enough, or do i want 12 cans ? The painting does not include the inside of the bed ( its getting linex )

Last edited:

bryan70546

Cucv your truck would be easy to paint just tape if of , sand her down prime and paint with a few gallons of the rapco carc tan .Sure would look good

KsM715

How long will the Rapco/Gilespie (sp?) hold up in the can if not used right away? Im the type that will get started on something, paint a few parts then get side tracked and it can be a long time before I get back to it, sometimes it can be years.

emr

simply use the paint sold by the guys in the hobby, Arvoe, gilespie etc. it is that easy, they are all over the MV mag, in ads, all paint will last years on the shelf and on the truck , all paint must be shaken from time to time, and spray cans must be shaken even when relativly new and alot, way more than most think, the solids in these paints get sticky fast, as for whats the best hobby paint some will say one is better than the other, I say use the one that is easy for U to get, U will need more at odd times in this hobby availability is the key here. they are inexpensive paints, they go on easy, they look good , all mil paints fade, u will alomiost never get an exact match even later when using the same hobby paint , but in time they all fade together, not even that long.Using krylon I think is only good for accesories, to me it is nice for accesories to stand out a little different, I would never try to match a truck color with off the shelf home depot paint , spray can or not....Randy

Cucvnut

so what do i get for paint ? or do i repaint the whole truck ?

Matt

Ps the krylon is nothing like the tan on my truck the khaki is about 4 shades darker than the tan on my M1008

emr

whats a good Mv mag to read ? i have yet to pick one up at the news stand.
I think the only one is Military vehicles magazine , AS far as one that counts and worth getting on a regular basis,...militaryvehiclesmagazine.com it is the one that everybody uses, it could be the oldest, since the early 70;s and currently haveing a problem with the owners of the poublication pushing for mostly add space , Even though It is still the best out there, And In the MVPA mags there are all the same advertizers in the MV mag also, To be the most well rounded hobbiest u need both . There may be a stick in the mud out there that says they are not worth it, But be sure all the info U will learn over time in them is worth it, and after all what this hobby is all about...Randy

Nonotagain

Attempting to color match aged CARC paint is a waste of time.

The sun faded most of the pigments to the point that unless you were to take the truck to a location that custom mixes paints and has access to a color meter you will never get there.

Use the current paint that you have and when finished spraying the door wait a couple of weeks for full cure then wipe a light coating of Armour-all over the other painted surfaces. This will darken up the paint and give you a surface that will closely match the newer paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks