• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cargo bows

TexAndy

The bows are not hard. Just get 3/4" pine and bolt them to the corners. They'll be thinner than the NOS oak ones, but it'll work. You can try steaming them and bending them in a form, but it's not necessary from what I can tell. They're pretty flexible.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use one of your old bows for a pattern. Place it over a piece of 3/4" plywood, cut three of them out, screw them together and, voila, you have your form.

After you steam your wood, place it over the form, and let it sit for a hour.

TexAndy

You can use one of your old bows for a pattern. Place it over a piece of 3/4" plywood, cut three of them out, screw them together and, voila, you have your form.

After you steam your wood, place it over the form, and let it sit for a hour.
Actually, you need to overbend the wood to account for springback.

APM215

The bows are not hard. Just get 3/4" pine and bolt them to the corners. They'll be thinner than the NOS oak ones, but it'll work. You can try steaming them and bending them in a form, but it's not necessary from what I can tell. They're pretty flexible.
How will the pine hold up over time compared to the oak?

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, you need to overbend the wood to account for springback.
Thanks, I was wondering about that.

Anyone with experience in steaming and bending oak for bows know how much to overbend? Guessing I would say a couple of inches but that's just a guess.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, I was wondering about that.

Anyone with experience in steaming and bending oak for bows know how much to overbend? Guessing I would say a couple of inches but that's just a guess.
For the bows, I would steam the wood and bend it to the form and let it sit for an hour, or if you want, longer. I took my bows off 3 days ago and noticed that they were springy themselves. You only need to get it close 2cents.

If I were bending it for a boat (which Ive done) or a closer tolerance project, I would agree to bending it further for springback.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andrew sent me the info where he bought the "CARGO COVER KITS-NEW"

The website has three photos of the product offered for sale as described above. ALL three of the photos show brand new bows and corners in crates in addition to the cover. That is what he ordered. He only received a cover. Seller is insisting Andrew pay return freight.

If I wanted a nice NEW cover and bows and had the spare change, I would probably be willing to pay $1200 for a NEW cover KIT with bows. I already have a newer LOOKING cover that the stitching is coming out of, so I don't want a used one that just looks nice. My bows and corners look like they were made in 1967 just like the truck, so I get wanting new.

The vendor is a pretty popular seller on here with lots of recommendations.

Draw your own conclusions.

TexAndy

For the bows, I would steam the wood and bend it to the form and let it sit for an hour, or if you want, longer. I took my bows off 3 days ago and noticed that they were springy themselves. You only need to get it close 2cents.

If I were bending it for a boat (which Ive done) or a closer tolerance project, I would agree to bending it further for springback.
True enough. It was kind of a perfectionist's suggestion.

When I bent mine, I made the form only slightly overbend and ended up with pine bows that didn't quite match the oak ones.

But when I put them on the truck, it didn't matter one bit. They had enough flex to go on the truck without any trouble at all.

If you're going to go with overbend, I would shoot for at least 4 to 6 inches overbend.

Last edited:

treeguy

APM215, I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience, that situation is wrong in a variety of ways!

Has anyone seen the new style aluminum bows available?
They don't look hard to fab., just need to get a hold of the right size alum. and a shop to put the right bend in them with a roller.

deathrowdave

I don't think pine will hold up to the weight of snow on the cover . Better to use clear
white oak . I have a few used corners if U can't find enough to get you by. The wood needs to be 7/8 X 2 7/8 . Strange size was going to make mine from tubing , but could not find the correct size , must USG only !!

emr

Stay away from pine, will not last in all the wind and snow loads, oak is just as easy to get and saw down to size, sad about that price, i a m out of brand new covers that went for 300 that seems to be the going rate, and i have one set of uprights and bows with corners for 200 nice oaks, shipping is not bad on these, fyi, Good Luck , [thumbzup]

APM215

Combst32 sent me a set of bows and corners. He went way out of his way to help me! We spoke on the phone to make the shipping arrangements and he is a pretty cool guy. He boxed all the parts up and shipped them to me and I must say the bows and corners were in much batter shape then most parts found up here in Canada! The parts arrived just in time for a big MV show. I could not have been happier! The wife and I installed the bows and cover the night before the show.
Big thanks to Combst32 for his help!

Attachments

emr

Still hard to believe anyone could in there right mind ask 1200 for even a complete set, thats just a rip, Glad u put this out so other newer guys can see they can be had for reasonable prices. Nice that it worked out, another good member comes thru... :) [thumbzup]

combat32

Funny story on those bows, they came on a Michigan National Guard truck down to Arkansas about 2 years ago, now all the way back up to Canada.They are well traveled, glad they went to a good home.

Wish I could get my wife to do stuff like that;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks