• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cb radio install need some ideas

wkbrdngsnw

I just used one since you don't need two for 4 watts and co-phase just directs the wave pattern. Its hard to truly get that effect and if the antennas are too close together it may actually hurt performance. Most people do it for looks.

Mine is used primarily off road so the circular wave is preferred and some distance was probably sacrificed by putting it so close to the cab. Even there its caught on a few trees. I also really like the flexible antenna since I've had the tip bend almost down to the bottom of the window when it hit said tree branch.

Attachments

nattieleather

Have you done a search of the forms yet? I recall reading a few different posting on this subject. I have never mounted a CB radio but I have mounted a 2 meter ham radio and size wise they are simular. I got a middle console out of a civy blazer and mounted it in the truck and mounted the radio to the front of it. I also mounted a 6 meter radio on the lid so that one radio was in front and one was on top. Get a military mount and put a AB-15 antenna bass and the MS116-117-118 combination and you'll have an almost perfectly tuned antenna for CB.

deuceaid

Banned
not on an MV, but I built a frame and mounted mine on the ceiling above the rear view mirror.... ditto on the dual antenna thing that wkbrdngsnw said, dual antennas wont do much for the radio unless properly spaced and calculated for wavelength , direction, etc.

jdeoliveira74

I didnt find much on here but i have the worst luck searching on here. Looking for something really incase s&*t hits the fan you know to be able to communicate. also for up in the mountains were cell phone service is real spotty. Should i look at ham also ??

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know about the "Ham Police", but I do know Hams tend to police their own. I understand the fines can be quit severe if the Government catches you breaking the rules.
Thats kinda like the thread about political stuff was meant to be. We should police our own. Consider the Mods the Goovenment. lol

Hightechken

It is now easier than ever to get a ham license, And then be able to talk around the world legally, Use VHF and UHF repeater systems that will put CB and GMRS/FRS to shame, etc. Note that many newer ham VHF/UHF radios can also work on FRS/GMRS, MURS, Marine bands, etc with the simple snip of a diode.
How to Get an Amateur Radio License in the US - wikiHow

I use old military antennas modified for whatever band radio I have in the vehicle.... Works great.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mounting the CB was done by cutting the square "Cupholders" out. The ant. is mounted to a square piece of metal slightly larger than the bolt pattern for the military ant. The wire runs through the original hole in the shell. I installed an external speaker so that the radio could be heard.

I will say that I missed out by not having a PRC-77 or compatible radio on a recent convoy. Eventually I'll have both. A military radio for MV events and a CB for off-roading.

Attachments

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who checks the radio waves anyways, Is there a ham police..?
The ham bands are 'policed' more now than ever. Many hams have logging programs that also tie into FCC license database, and any callsign entered is immediately displayed with all licensee info. For the last decade or more the FCC has done a decent job supporting hams, much better than for the earlier years. Their attitude is driven by the money they get from fines, and their job is made easier by modern electronics and direction finding capability.

That's a minor point though. Why not just get your license and join the fun!?

Bob WB4ETT

Hightechken

The ham bands are 'policed' more now than ever. Many hams have logging programs that also tie into FCC license database, and any callsign entered is immediately displayed with all licensee info. For the last decade or more the FCC has done a decent job supporting hams, much better than for the earlier years. Their attitude is driven by the money they get from fines, and their job is made easier by modern electronics and direction finding capability.

That's a minor point though. Why not just get your license and join the fun!?

Bob WB4ETT

YES indeed! It is easy and cheap to get a ham license nowadays. Join in on the fun!

FCC has no humor about non licensed operation at all. Fines start at $10,000
Some serious violators have even received jail time.
Many ham clubs have regular "fox hunts" where they practice hunting down a hidden transmitter. As pointed out, With modern techniques it only takes minutes to find even a low power transmitter.

Operating ham radio without license? - Survivalist Forum

FCC Sends Ex-Ham to the Slammer

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks