• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cb radio install need some ideas

nattieleather

Mounting the CB was done by cutting the square "Cupholders" out. The ant. is mounted to a square piece of metal slightly larger than the bolt pattern for the military ant. The wire runs through the original hole in the shell. I installed an external speaker so that the radio could be heard.

I will say that I missed out by not having a PRC-77 or compatible radio on a recent convoy. Eventually I'll have both. A military radio for MV events and a CB for off-roading.
This is how I was talking about I mounted my radio. Only I left the cup holder and I put the radio on the front and another on the box lid. The mount will work also with a military antenna. They make a base (I forget the number) that will fit the military mount and accept the MS-116 etc sections. Will work really good.

If you in the boonies off roading CB might be more useful than ham radio. But having both is not a bad deal either just get your licence.

K8ICU

quickfarms

This was covered a month ago.

The 1/4 wave, about 104", whip is a great antenna as long as 2/3 of the height, or more is above the roof.

There are several military antennas that are about this legnth and could be used.

Westex

There is also a thread a couple of years ago about re-tuning the 'tuneable' military base antennas to citizens band frequency. I purchased a couple of the military fiberglass antennas from a guy in Israel and installed them on my remaining deuce, but have never actually hooked it up. Yet. CB communications are still very useful in West Texas where cell phones don't work at all.

Mohawk Dave

Hey all,

Hi-Jack here. Sorry OP. But now that everyone is talking about HAM violations and fines, I was wondering about our racing scene. We race off-road vehicles, SCORE, SNORE, BITD, MORE, etc and EVERYONE out there uses VHF etc, and no one has a license. Ok, I'm sure some do, but you know what I mean. And we've never had any trouble. Is it because the FCC knows its a race??? That seems like quite a stretch. What do you guys think?

-Dave

Troll1216

There is, it's the FCC.
HAMS also jealously guard their bands.... The license is easy, go to QRZ.com take the practice exam several times, take the FCC test and do it right. It is not worth the possibility of a problem no matter how small.

HAMS routinely use directional finding antennas and do track down wayward persons.

Just my 2 C as a HAM

The test is EASY and you wil be legit after that.

There are VHF channels out there that don't require licenses, most of the time a permit is applied for for that purpose by the event staff.

Last edited:

Hightechken

Hey all,

Hi-Jack here. Sorry OP. But now that everyone is talking about HAM violations and fines, I was wondering about our racing scene. We race off-road vehicles, SCORE, SNORE, BITD, MORE, etc and EVERYONE out there uses VHF etc, and no one has a license. Ok, I'm sure some do, but you know what I mean. And we've never had any trouble. Is it because the FCC knows its a race??? That seems like quite a stretch. What do you guys think?

-Dave

Odds are good you are not actually using the ham frequencies. You may very well be legal on the so called MURS or similar frequencies, OR you might simply be racing in an area with no ham operators or clubs who activly hunt down violators.
The reason for the use makes no difference. The FCC dinged a police department for operating illegaly on the ham two meter band a few years ago.

jdeoliveira74

This is all great info... thanks I will def get a cb for sure with one antenna hooked up maybe do ham also on the other antenna. Once I set up I will take a bunch of pics and post!

Mohawk Dave

right on. I have my cb antenna (4' Firestik) and my am/fm both mounted on the antenna mount on the rear of my M1009. If I add a ham antenna there as well, will they cause interference with each other- any of the 3?

Thanks,

Dave

Hightechken

While there is some interaction between antennas, Just seperate them by as much distance as you can and don't worry about it. One antenna on each side of the vehicle and then one near the rear would work out good.

Years ago I used an 11 meter antenna similar to the Firestick (Fiberglass) on a military vehicle. I just sanded it lightly and sprayed a light coat of O.D. paint on it so it did not look out of place. Worked out great.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where would you mount one in a M1028 or M1008 pick up with a bench seat...? does anyone have pictures of an install...?

Hightechken

I mounted a Yaesu FT 8800 VHF/UHF mobil radio right in the dash where a normal AM/FM radio would go. Had to cut some steel with a muffler cutter to make it fit, But worked out well.

sierrajcharlie

I've got a Firestick 4 1/2 footer that I've got mounted on the rear bumper on the oh9. It's there so I can get it into the garage. I"m thinking of getting a spring mount from Radio Shack so I can lay it down and put it on the bracket by the passengers door. So now I'm thinking of also getting a 102 in. from them for the whole package and not using the firestick. Good idea or not worth it? Thanks!

sierrajcharlie

Got everything I think I need tonight at Radio Shack. Got the 102, spring and ball mount. I'll have to fab a plate to go on top of the antenna bracket and mount it all to but that should be no problem. It'll all be hooked to a Cobra 29 LTD. I'm going to mount that on the dash. With everything else I've put in it that's the only place left handy for the driver. That's the project for this weekend. :)

Last edited:

MrBouncer

Above the sunvisors in the 1028 there is a small hole with a rubber plug. The actual use of these I do not know. But you can fish a coax cable through it down the back behind weapon mount out the bottom through a drain plug to the rear or as I plan to right out the top of the truck. The spacing between the roof and "headliner" between the sunvisors is a good spot to mount a CB. Then run the power through the same hole and direct to a battery. This is my plan at least.

jdeoliveira74

Above the sunvisors in the 1028 there is a small hole with a rubber plug. The actual use of these I do not know. But you can fish a coax cable through it down the back behind weapon mount out the bottom through a drain plug to the rear or as I plan to right out the top of the truck. The spacing between the roof and "headliner" between the sunvisors is a good spot to mount a CB. Then run the power through the same hole and direct to a battery. This is my plan at least.
I have my radio mounted there with the lmc overhead console or my cb would go there for sure !