• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CBR Metalworks M920 hauler 'Mad Max'

Ford Mechanic

Sarge was helping me on this rainy day swap out the taillights. The one on the right is the new one, the left is the ratty old civilian style light. The one on the right side was busted and falling apart which is why I am replacing them so soon. Swapped in 12v bulbs and they work great, and look much better than the square ones. I need to check and see if the original blackout lights are 12v or 24v, if they are 24v I will remove them and run the blackout light on the larger housings. (Will the blackout lights run on 12/24v? I know a lot of LED stuff is multi-voltage).

Oddly enough I got Sarge before I was ever 'into' military trucks, got him as a puppy but the people we got him from had named him Sarge, he looked like a sarge so we stuck with it.

View attachment 471688
That truck makes Sarge look small!!! Great looking truck man!

Last edited:
Cab temperatures are going to stay a little cooler! Bought a few A/C kits that are specifically for the M915-M920 series trucks. I have a few holes left to drill for the condenser but all hoses are run, evaporator is installed, etc.

I have also pulled ALL the wiring out of the dash. I ended up using a sawzall to cut the wiring harness in three pieces to get it out easier. I will wire in only the bare minimum (lights, etc) to make the truck run. I am not sure what all the relays were for, but all my lights worked without a single relay installed. I removed them all because they were constantly clicking, I guess there was a bad ground somewhere. I did find bare spots on some wires on the dash harness, the wiring on the whole truck will eventually be replaced, it is in rough shape.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The relays are for the 24v trailer lamps. They serve no purpose unless you were towing a 24v trailer either from the 5th wheel or pintle. I take that back, a couple of relays worked the blackout light cutouts for the lights and horn.

R Racing

I put 1 of the red dot 24v ac units from a hmmv in mine. Between the fans and blowers it turned my alternator into a crispy critter. I had to do a crazy setup ( step up box with a 200 amp alternator)to get enough 24v for it to work properly. If I would do it again I'd find a 12v unit and not have to spend the extra money redoing my charging system.

DrillerSurplus

I'm glad I saw this. I'm planning to put AC in the M916A1, so I'll definitely use a condenser up in front of the radiator rather than the electric fans.

AC in the MK48 is going to be quite a bit tougher. I've been planning to use the electric fan type of condenser, but I'd better check out the alternator specs. Maybe this sort of load is why the MRAP & some of the newer vehicles have alternators that look about 4 times bigger than what we are used to seeing on the older vehicles.

BTW, I'm still trying to find an AC compressor that will plug in to the auxiliary drive on the back of the 8V92 rather than belt driven if anyone has any ideas.

The problem I see with a condenser in front of the radiator is it may not cool very good a slow speeds,(idle). If the engine fan is not spinning there will be no air coming through the condenser. Now granted if it is hot outside and you are idling or travelling at very slow speeds the fan may be spinning anyways, but if it is not the A/C performance will suffer. I had wanted to upgrade the charging system and wiring on my truck anyways, this just made for needing to do it sooner, I already have the humvee alternator for it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reb87 did not have any issues with having enough 24 volt ampacity using the Red Dot hmmwv kit on his M915.

DrillerSurplus

The problem I see with a condenser in front of the radiator is it may not cool very good a slow speeds,(idle). If the engine fan is not spinning there will be no air coming through the condenser. Now granted if it is hot outside and you are idling or travelling at very slow speeds the fan may be spinning anyways, but if it is not the A/C performance will suffer. I had wanted to upgrade the charging system and wiring on my truck anyways, this just made for needing to do it sooner, I already have the humvee alternator for it.

Good point!

Here is a picture of the compressor installed, and the alternator almost installed.

The A/C system is an easy install, step-by-step instructions, even someone that is not very mechanically inclined could install it.

As for the alternator, talk about a PITA! I had measured before trying to install it and THOUGHT it would fit, I knew it would be tight, but didn't expect it to be this tight. As you can see I had to move the converter box (or whatever it is called) and lengthen 3 wires on the one harness. I ran a long (11") 1/2" bolt through the lower mount, with proper spacers so it cinches everything down tight. I have to lengthen the upper adjuster a little, as well as install longer belts (on order). I installed the pulley off the M920 on the Humvee alternator, but I had to make the keyway slot larger (took about 10 minutes with a good file). There is very minimal adjustment, I don't care how close it is to the engine but I want to keep plenty of room between the alternator and frame, so I will get belts that are a tight fit when 'slack'.

IMG_20140630_175726_192.jpgIMG_20140626_194151_180.jpg

R Racing

Looks good. I have done 4 alternator swaps in my m920 and they are no fun !!! The 1 bolt seems easier to tighten the 1 from the bottom. But it's a back and forth thing.

R Racing

The hwwmv kits came with very basic instructions. But not like charge amounts or were to wire up the harnesses. But it wasn't hateful to figure out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks