• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CBR Metalworks M920 hauler 'Mad Max'

R Racing

I have a 208 hydraulic power unit. Not sure the flow on it but it was bought for a 5" cylinder to operate. It's about 2 ft square and almost 3 feet tall.

Haha, look a few pages in and there is another picture of him. He is only about 100lbs, just a lot of hair and he is tall. We give him about 2 cups a day of good quality grain - free food. Plus he is our dishwasher too.

R Racing

I believe it would be on the verge of overkill but should more than handle the task .you figure most small to medium tractors have a engine that size.

My other thought was to get a MEP-802a and mount it on one side, it would stick out slightly past the tires but would not make the truck over 102". That would give plenty of quiet power, not sure if I could adapt a hydraulic pump onto it though.

If the generator head is solid mounted and not producing electricity, I would not think it would be creating too much drag to really reduce the output of the engine too much. I don't expect I would be able to run the hydraulic pump and generator head at the same time though. I have a hydraulic pump off the M919 that I am likely going to be scrapping the concrete body on, adapting that will be my first choice.

The engine I have been offered has the radiator, starter, alternator, etc all still attached, even a small fuel tank (although I would probably plumb it into the truck tank).

Any bright ideas welcome!

I mounted the outrigger foot plate brackets today on the bottom of the toolboxes. Seemed like a good idea at the time but not sure I really like them there. The holes lined up with the holes on the boxes so it meant I only needed to enlarge two holes and drill two (on each box). The 'foot' is probably 18" off the ground at the bottom, I don't really LIKE them hanging that low but kind of figure it should never matter being this will only be a 4x6 truck and not a 6x6. If I ever thought they would drag they are easy enough to remove I guess (just the feet, not the whole bracket).

2015-01-05.jpg

It does burn a lot of fuel. I think the NHC250 burns 4 gallons an hour at idle (seems I read that somewhere?), the NTC400 would be very similar to that I am sure. That is at IDLE. I know I put ALOT of diesel in my M936 and I really don't drive it that much. I use the crane quite a bit.

Jeepsinker

It should burn A gallon an hour. Not like you'd use the crane for four hours at a time though. 20- 30 minutes and you would be done and loaded and on your way I imagine. And it certainly wouldn't be ever lacking in power.

Maybe I use my wrecker more than most, but running a noisy 855ci engine is 2nd on the list of things I hate about my M936 (first is the gutless nhc250). Even if the pony motor is only for hydraulics and no generator it is still something I would rather have than running a 400hp engine to run a small hydraulic pump.

I have been wanting one of the new style cabs (freightliner) to put on my M920, but every time they came up they always went for way more than I wanted to spend ($2k on the low end except for one oddball that went about $1300), some have gone over $4k.

Got lucky today and got the only one out of Groveport for $1,740. Complete cab, hood, etc. Some may not like the frontend on the freightliner trucks as much (I am one of those people), but I would really like to have the flip-forward hood to make servicing stuff much easier than working on top of the fenders. The MAIN reason I wanted one is they actually have a fair amount more legroom inside somehow, plus they already have ducting for the A/C so I won't have to run the evaporator core from the RedDot kit I have.

I'm stoked! Nice new aluminum cab, goodbye rust bunnies.

I got the cab/hood home last week. When I bid I thought it was a M915a2 cab, it turned out to be a M915a3.

The differences:

A2 uses tachograph (of which I have a brand new one-I liked that about it because it was easily adaptable to the NTC400)
A3 has a separate tach/speedo, this will be fine but I may have to find the transducers to make them work.

A3 has heated mirrors, haha!
A3 has Eaton Vorad radar system, I am removing it and selling it (I don't have the radar sensors and they are very expensive)
A3 appears to have power mirrors (switch for each side goes up/down but just says 'mirror power')

I have already removed the Allison Transmission pushbutton shifter, wiring, and computer (oh how I wish I had an Allison to put in it!).
The Vorad system is out, but still has some wiring I have not gotten out yet.

The differences I can see for mounting:
Rear cab mounts should be easy enough to adapt, the bolt spacing is wider than that of the AM General.
Front cab mounts are completely different, they are further forward and just above the frame, as opposed to further back and outside the frame.
The big firewall mounted oil cooler will need to be mounted somehow, as will the air cleaner, they will likely need to have brackets built to bolt them to the frame, as there is not much room to bolt to the cab firewall.

The cab is MUCH more roomy/comfortable than the old cab, even with air ride seats in the old cab. The tilt/telescope steering wheel is nice too.

2015-01-27.jpg

Bought me a trailer to haul the M548's on! I will have to build ramps as they are missing, I also have 5 tires/wheels I am taking with me when I go to pick it up. It is a Holden MTO20 Engineering Equipment Trailer (EET). Rated to haul 20k lbs.

Picture 460.jpgPicture 462.jpg4771425037364ws.jpg