• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CDL for M818

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwaller

rmgill said:
The Ga Non commercial does not allow the air brake endorsement. I don't know if it's a computer issue or just an administrative oversight. I asked for one and could not get one even though I was ready to take the test.
I am in the process of getting my CDL as we speak and the drivers Manuel says that in GA you are required to have the airbrake endorsement even for air over systems like the ones we have.

Jake0147

Your license autherizes you to drive specific vehicles. You can drive these vehicles anywhere in the 50 states. Federal law prevents states from failing to recognize another states license. For licensing only (not registration, tags, inspection, permits and such, but for LICENSING) if you can drive it in your home state, you can drive it anywhere.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as tags go, in Tennessee you can only get farm, commercial, RV, or antique tags for a truck that weighs over 9,000#. Regular auto tags only cover up to 9,000#. With farm tags you can only travel within 150 miles and antique tags have their own restrictions. So if you want to go anywhere you want or haul anything you want ( even if it's not for hire) looks as if you'll have to get commercial tags. CDL is only required for commercial. Maybe I'm missing something but that's the way I understand it. I run farm tags myself but I do have a CDL.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think for a Military Vehicle collector it is grey until you get to the M818 and above type of vehicles. Driving a tractor trailer is a whole different animal. My 64C guys who morphed into 88M back in the 80's drove all the time and yet I only had about 40% that could really back effectivly. On one mission to West Point New York we had to unload at a wharehouse with a fence right along side the appoach to the dock. I had to have my experienced drivers get in and back every trailer on that mission. This was after many rodeo's where the drivers had to prove they could drive back and recover their trucks. I even had an issue backing my M127 with the M52 since it was a real tight fit into the driveway.

The main reason the CDL came into being was to regulate and insure that commercial standards are met. As a side benefit it kept drivers from having multiple licences from different states. Experience is normally a good teacher but in the legal sense of driving an M818 with trailer I would go for the CDL regardless of where I live.

rmgill

jwaller said:
rmgill said:
The Ga Non commercial does not allow the air brake endorsement. I don't know if it's a computer issue or just an administrative oversight. I asked for one and could not get one even though I was ready to take the test.
I am in the process of getting my CDL as we speak and the drivers Manuel says that in GA you are required to have the airbrake endorsement even for air over systems like the ones we have.
I'm sure it does. However the woman at the office said you didn't need it for the Non-Commercial license and the computer wouldn't let her give me the endorsement.

Add to that, you can drive a Class B motor coach with Air-brakes on a Class C license in Ga...soooo I'm not the only one driving without the endorsements on my license. Oh, and those fire-trucks definitely have air-brakes too.

rmgill

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
I think for a Military Vehicle collector it is grey until you get to the M818 and above type of vehicles. Driving a tractor trailer is a whole different animal. My 64C guys who morphed into 88M back in the 80's drove all the time and yet I only had about 40% that could really back effectivly. On one mission to West Point New York we had to unload at a wharehouse with a fence right along side the appoach to the dock. I had to have my experienced drivers get in and back every trailer on that mission. This was after many rodeo's where the drivers had to prove they could drive back and recover their trucks. I even had an issue backing my M127 with the M52 since it was a real tight fit into the driveway.
David, if you never let them back the truck, they'll never get the skills down. I've backed my deuce up to my trailer enough times that I've got the skills down so pat that I can back up to the trailer and have it RIGHT on for hook up all by my lonesome. Helps when you haver to get out 50 times the first 50 times you try to hook up to get it all right. After that, if you get it straight you can do it just fine.

Make your lads get out and check their space, move the truck 10 feet at a time and have someone with a radio ready to yell "WHOA!" in their ear if they get too close.

Do it enough times, it'll be like stripping their M16s with a blindfold on. ;-)

ida34

m16ty said:
As far as tags go, in Tennessee you can only get farm, commercial, RV, or antique tags for a truck that weighs over 9,000#. Regular auto tags only cover up to 9,000#. With farm tags you can only travel within 150 miles and antique tags have their own restrictions. So if you want to go anywhere you want or haul anything you want ( even if it's not for hire) looks as if you'll have to get commercial tags. CDL is only required for commercial. Maybe I'm missing something but that's the way I understand it. I run farm tags myself but I do have a CDL.
The are not commercial tags. They are weight apportioned tags. They are based on the weight of the vehicle not its intended use. Most people call them "commercial" tags because they mostly only see them on commercial vehicles. The use of an apportioned tag does not make the determination as to the need of the driver to have a CDL. Uhaul trucks have weight apportioned tags but if you are using them to haul your own stuff you do not need a cdl.

ida34

Jake0147 said:
Your license autherizes you to drive specific vehicles. You can drive these vehicles anywhere in the 50 states. Federal law prevents states from failing to recognize another states license. For licensing only (not registration, tags, inspection, permits and such, but for LICENSING) if you can drive it in your home state, you can drive it anywhere.
Jake,
This does also apply to registration and tags. Tennessee did not require plates on personal non RV type trailers. You did not have to get a tag to drive it out of state based on federal reciprocity. In Michigan, you are required to show your insurance card when stopped. This only applies to vehicles registered in Michigan. You are still required to have insurance but you will not get a ticket for no proof of insurance if you are from out of state visiting. Also Michigan requires no fault insurance and out of state plated vehicles do not have to have no fault to be legal to drive on Michigan roads.

ida34

jwaller said:
rmgill said:
This is where a lot of confusion starts. I can't talk specifically about GA but in Michigan you do not need a CDL or any endorsement for a privately owned vehicle not used in commerce. If you pickup a Michigan CDL manual you will see that any vehicle with air brakes requires an endorsement. This is because the CDL manual does not contain information for anyone other than a commercial operator. A lot of people make the mistake of picking up a CDL manual to see if they need a certain license or endorsement. They then think that the CDL requirements for the above applies to normal citizens. One must dig deeper and look at the actual state motor vehicle codes to get the answers for non-commercial operators. Do not base you information on the CDL manuals only. Look at the state motor vehicle law itself not a cliff note version tailored to a specific purpose.

AaronHorrocks

A "CDL" isn't the short and sweet answer to your situation. Commercial Licenses like Non-Commercial come in classes.

The CLASS of the license is 10 times more important than if it's commercial or not.

(your state may vary)

Commercial Licenses:

Class A
Class B
Class C

Non-Commercial Licenses:

Class A
Class B
Class C

Class M1
Class M2

The fact that you can get a "CDL" isn't going to solve anything if you get it in a Class C or a Class B.
You need a Class A license pure and simple. Wether or not you CAN or DECIDE to get a commercial or non-commercial depends on if your state even offers a non-com class A, and if you choose to over-pay and be over tested for a commercial license.

emr

FYI, In NJ there is absoulutly, NO reason to get a cdl for air brakes, they tried, it lasted not even a year, so many small delivery companies here , and there must be alot because they lobbied big time and had air brakes taken off the reason for a cdl, its weight only, here,,going to call trenton, and find someone with a brain, because these people will tel u the wrong info because they are not smart enough to know what is correct, it will take a few calls im sure, but ill have it for nj tis year,but as of right now its for commerce and wieght only,, randy

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ida34 said:
The are not commercial tags. They are weight apportioned tags. They are based on the weight of the vehicle not its intended use. Most people call them "commercial" tags because they mostly only see them on commercial vehicles. The use of an apportioned tag does not make the determination as to the need of the driver to have a CDL. Uhaul trucks have weight apportioned tags but if you are using them to haul your own stuff you do not need a cdl.
You may be right but I think you are using the wrong term. Tags that say "apportioned" on the bottom are commercial tags used for trucks traveling in more than one state. The word "apportioned" means a portion of the money you pay for the tags goes to the states you have authority in. I know this to be true because I've bought them to run commercially in TN,AL, and KY.

ida34

Apportioned in Michigan means Weight Apportioned and the apportioned part is the fact that you could have a truck capable of hauling 25,000 lbs but instead of having to pay for a plate for 25,000 you can pay less to get a 15,000 lbs plate. You would not be able to haul more than 15.000 lbs even though the truck could haul 25,000 lbs. The plates do not have apportioned written on them but they do have the weight rating written on them. I am talking about the trucks only not trailers. Of course, a privately owned cargo trailer in TN does not need a plate unless things have changed in the last 7 years. Either way the fact is the plates are not exclusively for commercial operators. If I got an M818 and did not get a collector's plate on it I would need to get the same plate a commercial truck gets based on the weight of the truck plus the weight of the payload I want to haul. It is based on the weight of the vehicle not the intended use. If apportioned is not the correct term then delete it while you read and just read weight dependent plate. Either way the content is the same terms are the only difference.

ida34

98hd said:
So, if your insured, licensed, and registered in a state that does not require a CDL, what happens if you operate it in a state that does require a CDL?

To go even further, take the same situation, but your drivers license is issued in the state requiring a CDL?
You should be OK based on an interstate reciprocity agreement. That takes care of the first question but the second one is kind of fuzzy. If you have a CA vehicle and you are required to have a driver's license over and above a normal drivers license you would be find in Michigan because one is not required in Michigan. If you have a vehicle titled to a state that does not require a CDL but your drivers license is from another state that requires a CDL then you would have to answer questions as to why your DL is from one state and your plates are from another. Either way I can drive my deuce in any state in the union without a CDL because I am from Michigan and my vehicle is legal in Michigan. Reciprocity does not cover everything as some states allow 3 trailer trains. In Michigan you can have two trailer trains. I think OH allows three trailers but Michigan does not so an OH plated truck and trailers would not be legal to operate in Michigan. He would need to drop a trailer before coming into Michigan.

woodsboy29

its the same way here in Florida. As long as it's an 800 series with air over hydraulic and you're using it for a private purpose is not to make money you do notneed a CDL to operate. but of course if it is a newer 900 series with full air brakes you are required by law to have a CDL to operate a vehicle

IMO and according to Nevada law You only need "CDL" if you are driving in a commercial endevor. IE: You do not need a cdl if you are driving your own truck and you're hauling your own property if you are not for hire you dont need a CDL to be legal in the eyes of the law, What the law wants you to have at minimum is a class A and after you have the class A you can drive what ever you want ie a tractor and 3 trailers with con gear between them if you care to, just dont drive into california with the triplets.

I use the term drive and driving as common place terms as they mean different than what you might think...Drive, Transportation are legal terms that mean specific legal things and when you get in your car and travel to the store or where ever you arent driving by the legal deffinition...Heres the rub...The dmv wants you to have a class "A" lisence to "drive" anything over 26,001lbs Do you need such a lisence or any at all thats for you to decide, it also depends on your status and if you know who you are. Take the blue pill or take the red.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMO and according to Nevada law You only need "CDL" if you are driving in a commercial endevor. IE: You do not need a cdl if you are driving your own truck and you're hauling your own property if you are not for hire you dont need a CDL to be legal in the eyes of the law, What the law wants you to have at minimum is a class A and after you have the class A you can drive what ever you want ie a tractor and 3 trailers with con gear between them if you care to, just dont drive into california with the triplets.

I use the term drive and driving as common place terms as they mean different than what you might think...Drive, Transportation are legal terms that mean specific legal things and when you get in your car and travel to the store or where ever you arent driving by the legal deffinition...Heres the rub...The dmv wants you to have a class "A" lisence to "drive" anything over 26,001lbs Do you need such a lisence or any at all thats for you to decide, it also depends on your status and if you know who you are. Take the blue pill or take the red.
This post sounds like you took to many of both.
This thread should probably get a lock put on it.

The enlightened can always show the thirsty man where the drinking fountian is but cannot or maybe more to the point shouldnt force him to drink.... Also not everyone is ready for the responsibility of freedom, IE: if your ok with the chains of slavery who am I to show you the means of escape from them.

(f)*Exceptions.*Unless otherwise specifically provided, the rules in this subchapter do not apply to—(3) The occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise;

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/390.3

As Clint Eastwood said in his Dirty Harry role Mans got to know his limitations. Looks like you know yours..

This post sounds like you took to many of both.
This thread should probably get a lock put on it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We do not want or need any anti everytihng rhetoric.

BB's anti-postings are unwelcome on this site

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks