• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CDL required to drive 5 ton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARYankee

I would suggest those that are wondering if you are required to have a CDL in your particular state to do this:
Contact your State Police or Highway Patrol- the folks that enforce the CDL laws. Ask them the question and have them cite specifically where they are getting their info (State & Federal). Then look it up for your self.

You can contact your DMV but ultimately most of the time they have no clue because they don't enforce the law so they really don't know the law. I think of them like I do the folks at parts stores.... if it isn't in their computer and they can't easily look it up, they will likely get it wrong.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First of all, I am not a LEO or attorney but I stayed at a Holiday Inn express......I did have a Class "d" chauffeur's license since I was 18.

Like many here, when I started in this hobby and looking to buy my M923; I had preconceived notions for the requirements of cdl, air brake endorsements, gvwr, state and federal laws, commercial use etc. I also looked on the ss forums and there was so much information and it all seemed to contradict each other that I did my own research, asked local Leo, and State Troopers and finally motor carrier safety officers.

I would like to offer the following suggestions to all:

1.) Download and read your state dmv laws straight from your state website. Do not use a 3rd party website but go direct to the source. Pay careful attention to air brake endorsements and gvwr weight standards. Be aware of the penalties for not having a cdl when required. (In Louisiana they are usually much worse than the standard moving violation)

2.) Download and read your state cdl manual/test guidebook directly from your state. Again, do not use a 3rd party website. Pay careful attention to air brake endorsements and gvwr weight standards.

3) Do NOT ask for guidance from the following folks:
A. State dmv office. As ArYankee stated already. They are tax and license fee collectors who are NOT the law enforcement Post certified. They generally are not versed on all aspects of their laws and most are low level hourly clerical workers. Their jobs are to issue plates and licensees and not interpret the law.

B. Local LEO, no disrespect intended ! These folks are usually not well versed on IFTA, hours of service, License requirements, overweight, permits etc. When they look at a big truck on the road they are looking for obvious safety equipment violations- bald Tires, no brake lights etc and moving violations- speeding, tailgating etc. Most local LEO are not going to be enforcing "truck" regs.

4.) Do ask your State troopers who are specifically motor vehicle safety officers. They are normally a separate unit or division of their state agency. For example in Louisiana, they are a separate entity of the Dept of Public Safety but still under the umbrella of the State Police. These are the folks who will be doing inspections at weigh stations and the ones you see doing roadside stops and inspections. All they do is enforce CDL, permits, overweight, IFTA, hours of service log books , vehicle safety standards etc. They will be called to the scene of truck, trailer, bus etc accidents.

When you look at all this information, Most will understand what is required and that air brakes and weight will override the definition of "commercial". Yes, I understand there are exceptions to Farm vehicles, historical etc but they "should" be clearly spelled out in #1 & #2. if not use #4

Remember that if you are involved in an accident that is not your fault such as someone runs into you, you will be looked at also to make sure you are complaint in the eyes of the law. Normally anything that happens on a state or US Hwy & interstate will be the jurisdiction of your State Police. If local LEO has a question and needs assistance, they will contact #4

Please take #1 & #2 seriously and you will gain the knowledge you seek.:tank:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found out today by South Carolina weight guys no cdls on 5 tons if you are using for your personal use

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So that should mean that driving my M814 on the interstate, I can bypass the weigh scales. I have been, but always wanted to "know" for sure. The transport police don't work the same hours that I work- The scales are always closed when I go by.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So that should mean that driving my M814 on the interstate, I can bypass the weigh scales........
You can gamble that driving by an 'open' weigh station will not result in "poking the sleeping beast" as you will probably be mistaken for a 'Regular' driving by, but if the long hair, beard, civi plate, beer belly or gray hairs get spotted they will chase you down and have you 'grabbing paint' untill the appropriate explanation is given.

Seriously though, next time you see a state trooper, get the number of the chief DoT Trooper and give him(her) a call. They will be able to offer local protocol re non-CDL 'heavies' and whether or not you need to 'pop' in and then be waived through after explaining or just drive on by and wait for the errant 'neub' to come get you.

I don't think there is one answer or piece of advise that will suit all the weigh stations in all the states...
But good luck though.

DeuceNewb

well since this thread is still active, I should share that I've figured it out. A cdl is only required for COMMERCIAL driving. if it's personal use you don't need it. In this state, because of the weight I need a class b standard license, NON CDL

bayoux12b

You do not need a CDL for operating these trucks unless you are engaged in commercial business, your vehicle is registered to a commercial entity, or other commercial reasons. You also DO NOT.............WANT a commercial license. For one thing, you will need to have a CDL physical which means if you have high blood pressure, guess what, you're gonna pay for that physical each and every year. They are not cheap and once you come up with high blood pressure....its yearly from then on even if you get it under control. Oh and not judging or accusing...but a piss test is included in that physical. Just saying. Also, all traffic violations are tracked and fined differently. 3 wreckless operation tickets (this is what is given for speeding in excess of 15 miles per hour in ANY VEHICLE YOU ARE DRIVING will count against your CDL. 3 wreckless, CDL is gone, DUI's....whew..forget it. Also, fines are stiffer cause well..........according to your CDL.....you are a PROFESSIONAL driver. You shouldn't screw up like all of us average citizens. There are a lot of down sides to having a CDL now. Back in 2003 the DOT changed a lot of requirements for CDL holders due to all the accidents, drivers having heart attacks and killing 10 people on the interstate, etc. And...the states MUST obey the fed laws and there are very severe penalties to the states that don't enforce them for CDL drivers.

You WILL have to get a class B license due to the size and weight. I would avoid getting a CDL if at all possible. Read the regs for yourself. Remember, don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. Be careful how you "interpret" the regs also. Read them literally and don't add to or take away. Most of you have been in the military and know how to make a reg work for you. Also, remember that most civilian licensing agents have little or no experience in dealing with specialty vehicles like these. Most vehicles even close are designed and operated by commercial entities so naturally, most civilian authorities automatically place these vehicles in that category without actually researching it. I will be dealing with this along with you soon as I'm bidding on a 5 ton. Hope to be spending rediculous amounts of money on diesel soon...haha

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A class B, IS a CDL

Remember, don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.
True dat

Artisan

Anyone with anything, meaning if you have something to loose, you
may want to not listen to the nay-sayers and go ahead and get a CDL,
BECAUSE, "if" ANYTHING bad happens, your fault or not, an injury
or pray not a death, some attorney will be looking very hard at your
license and if it is not up to FEDERAL REGULATIONS I betya said
attorney could convince a jury YOUR WERE NEGLIGENT. Now
your home and business and toys could disappear as the gavel
falls. Your bank accounts SEIZED. GONE and possible JAIL as well.
Dare you temp fate? Are you a gambling man? States are suppose to have
laws that equal FEDERAL law.

Be afraid, be VERY afraid.

Do you really want to risk it? I guess if you have nothing to loose
the helk with it ehh? Wait, you have nothing but maybe some day
mommie and daddie will leave you a boatload? Guess what,
that attorney WILL OWN IT before you EVER DO! They always get
a judgement on what you have and WILL have. If you think;
"It can never happen to me" then you better think real hard
about that. If YOU get rear ended and the idiot dies who rear ends
you, YOU will still be under a microscope!

I am a WAY better driver and I dare say "person" after studying
and learning what is taught in professional truck driving school. When you learn
about these things and you see posts like " I got a new 923 and
I was driving down the road and all of a sudden the truck stopped and
it will not move~! What do I do
?" when you read that you will become
VERY scared ...

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Darn DH, I was going to close it and then I started reading the thread............

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks