• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changes to the classifeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Missed the thread til today (@#$#@ time difference), read through all of it, saw that every comment or reply I came up with while reading had already been posted a page later. Finally came to the end of the thread ... after Patracy had bumped a few times and made the change ([thumbzup]).

The one question I did not see answered is how much Valium Patracy has been taking while discussing these web things here as not lose his patience and stay polite ;) ;) [thumbzup].
Actually he's hooked up to a morphine drip!!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Missed the thread til today (@#$#@ time difference), read through all of it, saw that every comment or reply I came up with while reading had already been posted a page later. Finally came to the end of the thread ... after Patracy had bumped a few times and made the change ([thumbzup]).

The one question I did not see answered is how much Valium Patracy has been taking while discussing these web things here as not lose his patience and stay polite ;) ;) [thumbzup].
I work with/for doctors. (Yes Chris, that was a jab at you. LOL)

You guys are easy. [thumbzup]

jesusgatos

Fine with the changes, but can we please be given the ability to edit listings? Asked about this in another thread, and patracy, got an email notification saying that you'd replied, but looks like you deleted it?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Fine with the changes, but can we please be given the ability to edit listings? Asked about this in another thread, and patracy, got an email notification saying that you'd replied, but looks like you deleted it?
Your question would already have been answered if you read the classified rules.

jesusgatos

Not really. There are a lot of reasons why we ought to be able to edit posts in the classifieds. You know, like price updates, quantities available, etc. What are we supposed to do, delete the ad and post a new one any time we want to make a change in a listing? You really want us re-listing the same items over and over? Why not just allow discreet editing abilities? Seem like that would be much less disruptive to the order of listings in the classifieds section.

Patracy, you made a comment in the post that you deleted about how it was 'interesting' that I referred to items advertised in the classifieds as 'inventory'. Not sure what's so interesting about that, but based on your line of questioning about the nature of my businesses and some of the images I've posted, seemed like you're wondering if I'm trying to skirt around paying a fee to be a vendor. Back before we had to pay to list items in the classifieds, I donated $5 for every pair of hubsteps that I sold through this site. I've also given a lot of stuff away, from hubsteps and towbars, as a way to say thanks for all the help I've received from members of this community. Dunno how you define 'vendors', but I consider myself a contributing member of this community. Like a lot of guys, I watch the auctions and once in a while, buy a lot of something (like towbars). When I've done that, and listed items for sale here, I've offered them to members at very fair prices. A lot of members seem to be doing stuff like that, and the rest of us appreciate it. I've bought everything from LED headlights to electric fans from members on here who'd purchased huge quantities of stuff to resell. Does that make all of us vendors? Honest question. Speaking for myself, I don't consider what I'm doing to be a money-making venture. If anything, it's helping (not much) to subsidize a hobby. We're all here to help each other out.

On a related note, I've had a one-line signature with links to my businesses for the last five years. Noticed that you edited my signature and deleted those links recently. At least two of them, not sure why you left the third. No big deal and I guess that was against the rules (sorry, didn't realize). But the timing is kinda funny, after our recent exchanges regarding rules and other issues related to the way this site is run. My critical input is meant to be constructive, and that kind of petty retaliation is just... lame. Lets work together to make this place everything it can/should be.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Everything you've asked is in every single one of the classified rules. It explains everything you've asked. It really has. Just need to read it...

I deleted it because I honestly I didn't want to hear another 20 questions about statements you'd just want to reject as you've done in the past.

It certainly appeared from the "inventory" comment, plus the fact you make a living making parts, you were acting as a vendor. Of course this is subjective and honestly we're working on defining that right now.

Your business related links have been removed. (Rules) We've been removing business links several people have had that aren't vendors. (Not just me BTW) I left your TLT link since that wasn't really a business, more of a blog. (There's been a few other people that have had links removed that aren't vendors) Honestly, I'm inclined to make HTML links a vendor only thing. The only downside is the rule change that would have to be made if someone wanted to link a vehicle in their sig to their classified ad. That's the snag I have with it. (pirate4x4 works in this manner actually) I'm sorry if you percieved this to be some sort of "petty retaliation" as you put it. But if I was wanting to retaliate, I wouldn't resort to just messing with someone's sig. But that wouldn't be right either. (Banning, deleting the user, exc.) And no, I don't mean that as a threat. I was just presenting a scenario and not one that I'd partake in.

jesusgatos

Just to clarify, I make my living as a designer, not making or selling anything related to these vehicles. In every case where I've offered custom-made parts for sale here, it's only been to offset the expense of making stuff for myself, to recover some of the time/money invested, and to make things available that other enthusiasts have expressed interest in. Hope that helps to clarify my intentions.

Oh, and not that it matters, but Pirate does allow links in signatures. Mine is/was exactly the same over there. Not sure what the signature thing is aiming to accomplish anyway. If it's to eliminate spam and cut redundant **** out of posts, there are a lot of signatures much longer than the average post-length, on all kinds of subjects entirely unrelated to military vehicles.

3dAngus

It's all good. The job is done. May I recommend this thread be closed with a "job well done!"

Thanks for all the good work guys.

We are so very, very, fortunate, to have such a fine hard working team man this site.
I know it's gotta be a tough job.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just to clarify, I make my living as a designer, not making or selling anything related to these vehicles. In every case where I've offered custom-made parts for sale here, it's only been to offset the expense of making stuff for myself, to recover some of the time/money invested, and to make things available that other enthusiasts have expressed interest in. Hope that helps to clarify my intentions.

Oh, and not that it matters, but Pirate does allow links in signatures. Mine is/was exactly the same over there. Not sure what the signature thing is aiming to accomplish anyway. If it's to eliminate spam and cut redundant **** out of posts, there are a lot of signatures much longer than the average post-length, on all kinds of subjects entirely unrelated to military vehicles.
Yes that does, thank you. You're not a vendor.

Pirate allows links in sigs only to advertising vendors. Just trying to formulate more ways for vendors to get more bang for their buck. If only they have the ability to add links to their sigs. It wouldn't be lost in the "blur" of all the other ones here.

jesusgatos

Yeah, can see how determining who is/not a vendor around here is tricky here. Know a lot of guys are selling stuff on the side, making a little bit of extra money here and there. Would not be opposed to paying a small fee to list anything outside of personal items, but administering that sounds like a nightmare. So there's just this big split between regular members and vendors.

No big deal regarding the signatures, and was not linking to my businesses to promote them as much to provide some insight as to where I'm coming from and what kind of work I do. Thought it was relevant in that respect. Not a vendor and have always had links in my signature over on pirate. Race-Dezert changed their policy regarding signatures a while ago, and signatures with links were essentially frozen. Existing signatures were grandfathered-in, but users are not able to edit them.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Links to your business is a vendor perk(pay for option). Simple.

Nothing about other sites matters here on this site. Simple.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would it be a good idea to put the new rule as a sticky in each of the classified forums?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And another bump for people that still have not read the new classified rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks