• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changes to the classifeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thing for all to consider is the fact that you can request the forum to send a PM or an Email. Most of the time you need to send an email to Gimpy as his PM box is full. If there is something urgent that I'm looking to buy I often send both.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mods: Please edit or delete this post if it violates any rule or regulation. I just want to illustrate my point using a situation that directly affected me.

I'm thankful that others are allowed to post on classified listings. I currently have an open ad for CUCV lock cylinders. In post #3, Recovry4x4 clarified the purpose of the cylinders. I'm grateful that he took the time to add that information to my listing, and I feel it helped better establish the differences between the OEM lock cylinders and the ones I have for sale.

Just out of curiosity, have the mods/admins considered imposing penalties or infractions on the individuals that have poached sellers?

Last edited:

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMO,

you have to think about electronic postings he same as the tried and true "bulletin board notice" where someone leaves a note with a number. Then the communications take place outside of the governorship of SS. Which is what you want. There are a couple points to reinforce this..

1) if SS is facilitating communications where someone rips people off, sells stolen gear, absconds with payment or other nefarious law breaking, they could be party to a lawsuit. Regardless if they are "guilty" it will drain resources to defend it.

2) The "contract" to sell and negotiation of it should be private, this is an agreement between two people not for SS and certainly not the public to know about.

3) if someone "undercuts", offers a lower price, or "attempts" to snipe someones "deal" who exactly is to blame? The person who tried to get in on the deal like everyone else, or the seller who didn't honor the "first come, first served" unwritten legal "contract". Either way it isn't SS responsibility to "police" the selling and buying behaviors of its members.

Bottom line here is this.. "what is the purpose of SS?" to allow people who enjoy Military "stuff" to exchange resources.. either knowledge, goods or services.. period. anything beyond that drains SS resources away from keeping its primary mission alive.

People have a problem where they try to use "popular" mechanisms to reinforce personal or adjunct beliefs or ideas on others, even when enforcing those will reduce the primary mission of the "popular mechanism". if your good at some things, it doesn't make it ok for you to try and enforce everything else.

Stay focused on your core mission, leave the rest for someone else.

allow only the poster to comment, allow others to send a PM for information or offers.

Last edited:

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patracy - I see your point. The poaching is done through PM's. The only way it could be enforced is if it were reported to you or the mods, and that alone is not effective. Enforcing morality and ethics is not easy.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Another thing for all to consider is the fact that you can request the forum to send a PM or an Email. Most of the time you need to send an email to Gimpy as his PM box is full. If there is something urgent that I'm looking to buy I often send both.
I resemble that remark!

SteveKuhn

Things have tightened up a bit recently, and I think that was an improvement. I'd be disappointed to see it go the EBay direction. I've actually learned a lot from reading some of the more substantial dialog in classifieds. Sometimes a WTS/WTB brings out comments that wouldn't get a thread in the main forums and the followups have helped me remember stuff that I was looking for and didn't move on at 1st.

Steve

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Things have tightened up a bit recently, and I think that was an improvement. I'd be disappointed to see it go the EBay direction. I've actually learned a lot from reading some of the more substantial dialog in classifieds. Sometimes a WTS/WTB brings out comments that wouldn't get a thread in the main forums and the followups have helped me remember stuff that I was looking for and didn't move on at 1st.

Steve
I hear you Steve and mostly I agree. If everyone that used the classifieds was brimming with good character I could see it remaining the way it is. Sadly, when the forum or community gets to this size, we get some bad apples. The other things is that the good info ends up going by the wayside when the ad gets deleted.

Gimpyrobb, sorry if I offended you, it's just that when I hear something about a full PM box, I think of you!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No offense, I know I don't clear it out enough. Between buds BSing and selling crap and talking folks through issues with their trucks, I run about 25-30 unread PMs all the time. Most of the time I read them in my email and forget to do anything in the PM box.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am for the changes as long as they are applied to for all for sale ads , classified and vender. WTB ads should still comments.
Wanted to buy ads should be included . Just the ad post and use PM's with one bump every 7 days like the rule is now , but people refuse to follow. If people can't manage their PM box how are they going to manage their ads ?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have enacted the following change to the classifieds.

Users are not allowed to reply to for sale ads. The wanted ads are still able to be posted by any member, and replied by any member. That may be subject to change if it turns into a "that's nice" outbreak of needless posting. The pay it forward section is also wide open as well.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Missed the thread til today (@#$#@ time difference), read through all of it, saw that every comment or reply I came up with while reading had already been posted a page later. Finally came to the end of the thread ... after Patracy had bumped a few times and made the change ([thumbzup]).

The one question I did not see answered is how much Valium Patracy has been taking while discussing these web things here as not lose his patience and stay polite ;) ;) [thumbzup].

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks