• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cheap china starter relay vs. more expensive, more reliable U.S.A. made relay

Which would you rather put in your truck?????

• Total voters

jworth94

Well, let's hear it guys (and girls). Which would you rather put in your truck????

A. cheap china made starter relay (NAPA 7-01860-1)

or...

B. more expensive (possibly double the price) and potentially better relay made in the USA?

I'll be the first to vote.

B !!!!!

and here's why... I thought we were taking out our original starter relay's because the only alternative was a cheap, unrealiable imitation from China. Confused yet? Well the popular modification posted on this site specifies a Chinese made product. So what have we gained???? A 200 amp Chinese replacement relay vs. a 40 amp Chinese replacement relay. Whew. We gained 160 Chinese amps! Now I can sleep better at night.

dstang97

Hurry you are wasting time with all this. Fix it before everything goes bad. And BTW you don't really want to know how I feel about Chinese products.

2deuce

The bottom line isn't where its made but if it works 100% of the time. As far as I know the napa relay has never failed when it has replaced the OEM relay. My comfort level is good with the $12 relay and the cost is nice but if you think you need to spend more to sleep better then another $12 is definitely worth it for you.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought we were taking out our original starter relay's because the only alternative was a cheap, unreliable imitation from China.
Wrong, the original relay design lends itself to failure(the spring steel that has the point contacts are on, heats up and fails. Also, the contact surface is tiny(compared to the replacement I called for) and it's capacity(when new) is borderline for this application.

The replacement I chose, by design is much more reliable. It is not likely to fail in the "closed"/on position, because it has a coil spring that does not have current going through it. It also has contacts that are about 400% larger.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So this thread was prompted by the fact that lastnight he posted this on the Doghead relay mod thread,
Can anyone find a relay that ISN'T made in China. If you know of one, I'm interested.
and I responded with ,
What are you talking about?

The Trombetta relay I used, was not made in China.
which he responded with,
The Napa part mentioned early in the post (part 7-01860-1) is made in China. It has a Trombetta sticker on it and it says "made in China".
So I posted,
I guess that's what we have available now. I wouldn't be afraid of it.

I guess one question would be, would you and millions of Americans be willing to pay double, to have a made in USA product? We know the answer to that....
He responded with,
Don't tell me what I will and won't buy.

I am willing to pay double in this particular case.

I am willing to pay double when it comes to tools.

I am willing to pay double when it comes to lead-free toys for my kids.

I am willing to pay double when it comes to reliable vehicles.

The list goes on and on...

I've seen enough junk to know when it's time to pay a little extra for quality.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next I decided my comment unfortunatly was leading to an off topic issue(and poitical) so I chose to delete my, and his threads that were off topic. I gave this as the explaination for deleting them, off topic, trying to keep to the facts of the thread

So this morning I have this PM from him,

That's a bunch of crap.

You didn't like what I said because it was too personal for you. I answered your post!!!!

I brought up a real issue, and you diluted it the best you could because it's your modification, or at least you're taking credit for it...

Your moderator privaledges should be revoked.

I Pm'd him back with this,

The post I made, and the post you made, (I deleted (both) were off topic. . I think your being ridiculous and I don't care to discuss American consumer issues in that thread or anywhere else.

It is a moderators job to keep threads on topic and factual.
So now you know what all this crap is about!

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And for those that don't already know this, an Amp, is a measurement of electrical current. It is an International Standard. The Chinese Amp is equal to the American Amp!

jworth94

Gee Doghead, I thought a PM was PRIVATE! Now I know you've gone beyond your authority.

I stand by my position that you should lose your moderator priviledge. Of course, you'll delete this message and tell me it's off topic.

It's nice to know that as a moderator you can post anything you like at anytime.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I'll turn in my Silver badge, .45 and resign imediatly...;)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, let's hear it guys (and girls). Which would you rather put in your truck????

A. cheap china made starter relay (NAPA 7-01860-1)

or...

B. more expensive (possibly double the price) and potentially better relay made in the USA?

I'll be the first to vote.

B !!!!!

and here's why... I thought we were taking out our original starter relay's because the only alternative was a cheap, unrealiable imitation from China. Confused yet? Well the popular modification posted on this site specifies a Chinese made product. So what have we gained???? A 200 amp Chinese replacement relay vs. a 40 amp Chinese replacement relay. Whew. We gained 160 Chinese amps! Now I can sleep better at night.
What is the point of this thread? Seriously?

OK, I loathe China-their politics, their environmental record, their treatment of workers, their economic policies, everything. If I could, I would implement a 200% tarrif on items coming from China in order to level the playing field for American companies, who have to deal with environmental, safety and wage policies that the Chinese don't even have to consider.

But, what are we supposed to do if a Chinese part is all that's available?

Now, if you're saying that there IS definitely a 200amp American made item available, that's GREAT.

You should have gone to the thread you are referencing (the relay mod thread) and posted this:

"Hey guys, I bought the relay referenced above and apparently it isn't made in the US anymore but I found an American made unit at so-and-so and the part # is blah-blah-blah."

That would have been far more helpful than whatever it is you were trying to accomplish with this thread.

Last edited:

prairie

Gee Doghead, I thought a PM was PRIVATE! Now I know you've gone beyond your authority.

I stand by my position that you should lose your moderator priviledge. Of course, you'll delete this message and tell me it's off topic.

It's nice to know that as a moderator you can post anything you like at anytime.

Let It Die!

This is the kind of crap that made me stop going to pirate4x4.com!:sad:

Clinto you hit the nail on the head, a little common sense and courtesy goes a long way.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oddly enough, I have bought stuff from China that still works fine and never a problem. While I also make an effort to buy products made in USA, some of that stuff has failed on me almost immediately. So USA is not always better and Chines is not ALWAYS bad. 2cents

Whitey

I like the "MADE IN INDIA" sticker on everything I buy. It reassures me. :cookoo:

In case ya didn't figure it out,...............I'm joking.

Buy what makes you happy. :razz:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks