• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cheap Ebay Hummer

Stalwart

Actually a 1993 model year, I have one here in CARC 383 green with only 20K miles. The A/C in those was a bit anemic.

moleary

You can get a surplus 6.2L engine for about $400 (I bought 2 for $125 each) - you might consider upgrading to a 6.5L n/a instead. Swap time on the engine is about 10 hours and you'll need a lift with a long reach.

This is all assuming that a 6.2L from a military HMMWV will drop into an H1. I just finished a restoration on my HMMWV, so this is pretty current pricing.

Ryanhooker

Called kascar friday. Trucks Value from a book stand point is about 20,000. I have a feeling that this one has a few more skeletons left, after phone call. I have bid on it, but i cant see 13k for it and a shipping bill, new engine, labor even if i do it my self. I think it was ran hard, although rare. It will make a good truck for some one. The insides are like a herd of cats have been in it. I would say someones going to be spending alot of time with a mister clean pad. Id also say unless you want to spend the time with a pad and on your back and all dirty. Spend little more and get a running one. If it was clean on the inside with normal ware and the under hood was cleaner, I would bid more then what I bid. Just from personal dealings with jeeps in the same condition, there is more then just motor and ac. My uncle bought a wrangler YJ from salvage sale near by for 1k. Jeep had no wheels or tires and needed a motor. 6k later its on the road and giving more ghosts up every day. No parts are meant to last a life time, but the life they have been living will tell you there end.

lcalvinl

Thanks for the input... I figure something like this would be nice and cheap truck after seeing cheap engine replacement. However, I am sure the truck will cost more than estimate. I don't have any tool nor the know how to tackle the engine or the AC....However, I love to sit in the garage unscrewing a bolt or two here and there. I figure since I am not in a hurry to have it running...I'll just try to get it and drop it off at the shop and have them play with it. I am not looking for a queen or a high way cruiser....just a home depot trip here and there. lolz

Called kascar friday. Trucks Value from a book stand point is about 20,000. I have a feeling that this one has a few more skeletons left, after phone call. I have bid on it, but i cant see 13k for it and a shipping bill, new engine, labor even if i do it my self. I think it was ran hard, although rare. It will make a good truck for some one. The insides are like a herd of cats have been in it. I would say someones going to be spending alot of time with a mister clean pad. Id also say unless you want to spend the time with a pad and on your back and all dirty. Spend little more and get a running one. If it was clean on the inside with normal ware and the under hood was cleaner, I would bid more then what I bid. Just from personal dealings with jeeps in the same condition, there is more then just motor and ac. My uncle bought a wrangler YJ from salvage sale near by for 1k. Jeep had no wheels or tires and needed a motor. 6k later its on the road and giving more ghosts up every day. No parts are meant to last a life time, but the life they have been living will tell you there end.

PeterD

i currently have a 6.2L n/a on mine with a P/R/D/2/1 shift. what else do i have to replace if i change mine to 6.5L n/a
You can just drop in a 6.5 and get half the benefits... But you would be much better off with a 6.5, 4L80E and new transfer case. While the older transmission that you have is OK, without overdrive it is painful on the highway.

But for a budget and to get a bit more power, sure: drop in the 6.5. Then turn up the injection pump a hair (there are instructions on the web for that trick) and you are all set.

lcalvinl

thank you for the suggestion. From the look of it, it would cost a lot to put together. Sourcing for a hardtop roof would take forever.

Hummer : H1 : eBay Motors (item 300387380028 end time Feb-05-10 18:49:06 PST)

here is one closer to you....

looks like it needs some body work. from a wreck.. but you could probably call and make a conditional offer and go inspect it..

be sure to search, hummer, humer, humvee, hum-vee, humv, hmmwv and other spellings etc.. ya never know what you'll stumble accross

Stalwart

Just curious on the H1, can you strip all the plastic and carpet out and have one "similar" to Hmmwv? Get rid of all the electronics and such?
Yes, we believe mine was possibly built as a Military unit and then converted to civilian spec with upgraded hubs and heavier suspension and all the rest. Mine came with a 2 ton rated payload, heavier than the earlier HMMWV's.

Remember guys, they aren't just riveted together but also bonded (adhesive) so changing body parts isn't as easy as it first appears.

Last edited:

lcalvinl

I didn't know about the adhesive part....I learned something today. Thanks!

Yes, we believe mine was possibly built as a Military unit and then converted to civilian spec with upgraded hubs and heavier suspension and all the rest. Mine came with a 2 ton rated payload, heavier than the earlier HMMWV's.

Remember guys, they aren't just rived together but also bonded (adhesive) so changing body parts isn't as easy as it first appears.

papaydsailor

You can just drop in a 6.5 and get half the benefits... But you would be much better off with a 6.5, 4L80E and new transfer case. While the older transmission that you have is OK, without overdrive it is painful on the highway.

But for a budget and to get a bit more power, sure: drop in the 6.5. Then turn up the injection pump a hair (there are instructions on the web for that trick) and you are all set.
thanks for the info. i will just drop the 6.5 and turn the injection as you sugested for budget reason for now then will do the rest later as you sugested. thanks