• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check this GamaGoat travesty

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All us Goat Heads need to POOL some bucks and do a negotiated sale with the Govt. To do the demill. we can make money on the scrap side and save a HEEEPP!!!! of hard to find parts in the
process. I used to work for one of the largest Military Surplus dealers in the State o KY> and he proved to me that you "CAN" do a negotiated sale with the Govt. Something to think about fellas!!!

popacom / BILL in KY.[thumbzup]

Last edited:

scorpion6

As I understand we should all be able to petition the government to take the goats off the demil list. I did a little research a while back and ran into an interesting bit of government paperwork where you can actually petition a piece of equipment to be taken off the demil list. I mean the m35's are more apt to carry leathals than a gamma goat and they are not on the demil list!!!
If they were removed from the hit list the goats would not soon become extinct.:p

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well worst case scenario we can possibly get the Govt. to sell them as scrap with "US" performing the Demill, as I said I demilled about 50 or so when they released the bulk of them. So I know the requirements WELL!!!. It would take some effort to get it in the works but we would have to be
ready willing and able to perform or it would be a lost cause.
popacom / BILL in KY:grin:

scorpion6

I am With you! ....Its just a shame to see all the goats go to scrap when there are so many good parts to be used and whole vehicles that need nothing more than to be cleaned and tuned.:cry::evil:

JeepMan

Why not talk to your local congressman about it?? Be sure you voted for him first though because although people don't think so, they know just who voted for them and who did'nt.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only guidelines I know of are being explored. I am in contact with the forestry department which are currently in possession of them. That's a funny story in its self; seems I called asking for the sale of just a power plant. This met with a load of crap a mile long about DOD regs and FFP regs and " we just can not sell to the public periode." So being the sly guy I am , I had my wife call him and ask for a donation of a power plant for the camp fire kids generator! Well lo and behold all of a sudden its photo op time and he has no problem selling to the public , but he wants to be in contact with the head office.
I have gone above his head to the DRMO , they say I need to contact another guy who sends me to another , and another.........well you get the point.
Another funny thing is the forester has no sales to the public , but a buddy of mine has an iron scrap yard and buys the m38 trucks off him all the time for scrap for 800 bucks a pop. He now has at least 4 m38's and they all run....only needed a clutch. He tells me that they have yard sales there all the time....The same thing the yard master said, but according to the forester they have never had any sales there nor shall they. SNAFU
There is even a back way into the place, and if it weren't a federal facility I would suggest an all out overnight removal process!:grd::twisted:
Based on the various responses, and the reluctance to openly conduct sales, I'm beginning to worder....

Could it be that over the years, Forestry FAILED to maintain current and accurate paperwork on these Goats - OR - maybe they have already had a huge Paper-Shreading-Party, only now realizing that without the proper paperwork, REAL disposal sales cannot be Officially Authorized.

I think a good investigative reporter might have a valuable lead here.

NOTE: The comments above are merely a speculative commentary without concrete evidence. (Somebody else will have to dig deeper for the PAY-DIRT.)

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just print out the demil pages out of the manual and show them that, it's all explained there. I am guessing they have nothing to gain from the sales, just extra work vice them sitting there till they rot. Who is the GSA authority in that area, that is who you could talk to. If you guys did a scrap purchase through the GSA in the area, tell them you will demil them and transport, then the forestry guys have nothing to do with it just turn them back over to GSA. You pay, demil, GSA inspects done deal.

scorpion6

Oh well.... It is just frustating to the hobby to see all the potential go to waste. Can't blame the forestry for doing thier jobs they try to be as helpful as they can be, but it is thier butts on the line with the Feds if something happens to the property. The darn Feds really need to see the indiscrepancies in thier own manuals. Reading demil code is like reading Braille by the sighted!:deadhorse:aua

scorpion6

They are looking to demil them, but will not let just anyone do it. They want someone who has the proper demil paperwork and certifications. So anyone out there have any contacts close with the know how and certs?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can print out the directions from the manual. I have NEVER heard of a cert. All you should have to do IIRC, is strip the front tub, make several vertical cuts and fold it all up with a bobcat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks