• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check valve for oil filters?

tbrenner

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Check valve for oil filters?

Another question, why are we limited to 20 microns for filter elements, does it have to do with the way the element is gasketed in the can or are they just not made?
I was thinking the same thing. I would think spin on and replacable element type would be made to the same spec as far as filter media goes. Anyone have the answer?

JDToumanian

The Preluber is a neat item, put one on a '91 Dodge Cummins when we bought it new and it worked for150+k maybe before it wore out.....As neat as they are, the one I had took some time to get presure on the 5.9 Cummins, it would take all day on a Multi, LOL!
A buddy of mine had one of the older Prelubers on his Dodge and it wore out prematurely, too. It was also very noisy even when new. Preluber's entire product line was redeveloped a few years ago... new pump and motor design. They're supposedly a lot better now.

The heavy duty 24 volt model is designed for big truck Diesels, so I'd imagine it pumps a pretty large volume of oil. Ideally I'd like to have a Preluber in addition to a spin-on conversion... It would be a small price to pay to *never* have to replace an engine.

Regards,
Jon

JasonS

300k miles on a dodge with 5.9 isn't a big deal; I'm not sure that I would attribute that to the preluber. Are the engines wearing out due to debri or having catastrophic failure due to poor design/ metallurgy? I worked a a tractor dealership for a couple of years in high school and I only saw one engine grenaded and I think that was due to a runaway.

houdel

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Check valve for oil filters?

tbrenner said:
Another question, why are we limited to 20 microns for filter elements, does it have to do with the way the element is gasketed in the can or are they just not made?
We are stuck with 20 micron (actually closer to 50 micron absolute) filters because we are driving trucks with almost 60 year old technology. IF someone could come up with a source for the Oliver tractor spin on bases, we could come up with a high efficiency, anti drain back spin on filters and get better filtration and no dry starts.

Short of that, the best available now seems to be a pre-luber to eliminate dry starts and a bypass filter (like the Amsoil units) to filter the big chunks of soot out of the oil. I have read of a 6V-53 Detroit with a good bypass filter, 500k total miles and 60K on the oil, and the oil was still within spec!

bottleworks

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Check valve for oil filters?

Well, I have ordered all the required parts to convert over to two Wix 51970XD/51970. I am using the non "extended drain" version because I can't afford to buy two filters @ $56 each. The standard are still ~$25 each. I am waiting on the filter heads to get on my door step. Hopefully I can install next weekend. This setup will remove the stock filters out of the mix, provide much better filtering, and stop the filters from draining. I can't stand the 12-15 sec of no oil pressure! I will have pictures once installed.

houdel

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Check valve for oil filters?

I'd like to see how you plumb those filters in. Obviously you are using some sort of remote filter base, but how do you intend to get the oil supply and return lines from the stock filter bases to the remote filter heads?

devilman96

Some how I lost track of this thread...

That is all there is available... Cartridge style filters in a lube setting are like the ugly step child of filters as they are early 1900's technology and made out of lesser quality elements which was what they were specified for in design.

BW and I have been going back and fourth on the filter thing... He is getting a little ahead of me but I think we are chasing the same thing but using two different base set ups.

The biggest problems is been trying to find a filter bases that don't have to be machined or modified... I made a set for testing as Kenny mentioned on a gen set with really amazing results but I know most of us don't have the means to pull off the machining part of the deal without investing time and money in finding a shop to do the work. The glitch is in the thread and gaskets sizes, hydraulic filter bases will not work with oil filters and hydraulic filters should not be used as oil filters with a few exceptions to some uncommon type which can sub for ether or... I am avoid this and trying to stick to common part numbers. In hunting these I found a company http://www.vsindustrial.com/manifolds.htm which makes dual filter manifolds with the right thread sizes and no modifications required... Then BW found another company whom makes them in a single filter set up also... With no offence to BW I have considered the bases he is looking at but I have gone a little further with installing some of these for testing... using the single filter base and plumbing two of them together makes for a heap of extra hoses and fittings... When it comes to oil systems I like simplicity... one line in... one line out.

The plumbing is currently theoretical but should be really easy... Meaning don't go do this to your truck unless your will to test my thoughts in the process or you wait for myself or BW to actually do this. On the oil cooler you have an 3/4 outlet on top used for the oil sampling valve... this would be the "out" port which you would need to install a tee into... on the bottom of the same housing you have two ports, one has a bypass valve in it.. the other is 3/4NPT and is plugged off, that would be your "return" port. There is a chance I have these reversed so be mindful if your playing along.

BW and I are both thinking that the best mounting location is under the drivers feet behind the fender and in front of the tool box. This gives ample ground clearance and protection from anything popping a hole in it and is low enough to prevent drain back.

I am / will be opting for the XD filters... I might go up in size from the 1970 to the 1979 Which is about 3 inches larger in size. The XD is a 40,000 mile filter which is designed for over the road diesel applications and has a higher beta rating over the standard 1970. When you compare "cost" IMHO using synthetic oil and these filters your actually saving a considerable amount of cash over the long haul but as BW said the up front is more pricey.

On the subject of synthetics... Before anyone starts that proverbial debate of wives tails and horror stories from a friend of a friend about synthetics blowing this or that up... don't be a key board cowboy!!!... I don't mean to be rude but I have seen this subject debated to many times and it annoys the snot out of me when collective ignorance is used as wisdom. Go pull oil samples and have them analyzed!!! All of the ones I am having done show so pretty amazing results with far lower wear metals, soot, fuel, etc over dyno oils. On a normally aspirated diesel you can still see through the oil at 300 hours... On a turbo its the same at 200 hours... I did my first oil samples and oil change at 650 hours, which didn't "need" to be done... The next were 1000 hour intervals and the sampling showed it still didn't "need" to be done. This means I can put the vast majority of my equipment on a once a year or longer service schedule.

I am HOPING I can make a "kit" out of this ordeal because it is a lot of parts and pieces... Fittings are one of those weird things... you can jump sizes, convert, swap, adapt, etc, etc, etc and plumb things together but on the other hand when dealing with a oil system you really need simply... one fitting per port, per hose end... if not you are asking for leaks, cracks and problems.

As for cost... Not cheap but like someone said... cheaper than a new engine. The single bases are in the 80-90$ range and the dual bases are in the $180 range... Almost the same cost but if you want a dual filters and consider hoses and fittings its a lot cheaper and simpler to buy the dual base than plumb two bases together. Because of my job and pricing I am able to buy things like fittings, hose and filters for 40-50% less than most can so it may be possible to put something together in the 300$ range which isn't bad when you consider the commercial filter units are 800$ plus.

As for time... I have none and I am working a lot of 16-18 hour days trying to finish my truck up... I can proably get to this in the next 60 days... Maybe sooner due to installing bypass filters on newly purchased equipment for the day job but as I have said over and over... I would promise nothing and / or recommend nothing until I get things fully ironed out, beat up and bullet proofed.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Devilman I maybe wrong here but don't think you can just tap in anywhere and then tap back in . The pressure will be the same on both sides and the external filter system that was put on will just sit there and no oil will flow through.
We need to just get rid of the whole stock oil filter and cooler system.
Unless some one can tell me that there is over 280* temps. in the oil pan then I would not worry about a oil cooler.
If done right a remote cooler could be added if temps were high but the remote will lower temps. a bit.
I think 15 micron filters will be good enough. If you try and get them to tight oil will not flow.
I do not have a motor to take apart. If I did there would already be a plan.
If someone wants to do the homework I might be willing to pay for the prototype if it looks good.
If you look there are single canister filters by luberfiner that would be more than enough.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That oil cooler really serves more along the lines of an oil heater. I'm surmising that its purpose is to keep the oil and coolant at a somewhat like temp.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry good thought . I am having trouble getting water temps. up. Put cardboard up and it helps. If that is the case my oil would come up faster without cooler.

devilman96

Vice versa... It would take longer to get up to temp...

Seeing the oil housing assembly off of the engine did me little good other than getting to see the flow and over all operation. The hard part to a LD is finding the numbers to the oil system so that you are working with the correct flow and psi in order to match them to a suitably designed filter. If not your filter ratings mean very little as the hydraulic pressure will shove a 30 micron particle through a 10 micron filter and or just bypass the filtration all together.

I had mulled over the idea of removing the oil cooler and going directly off of the block but in studying the idea I've learned it has some down falls... The oil cooler also acts as a oil warmer depending the climate the truck is used in. Being that the cooler is bathed in the coolant system for heat transfer and it also help regulate the temperature through out the engine for better efficiency. Where it is hot it does act as a cooler but the temperatures you mentioned would be detrimental to a engines operation as over the 220F mark oil will break down rapidly and begin coaking the injectors and rings while developing sludge in the top end. The other snafu is you would also have to plumb in new bypasses as both are located in the filter housing as there are no commercially available bases for LUBE filters with bypasses and no commercially available lube filters of the sizes required with internal bypass... As I said in a earlier post... Hunting down Oliver or Cummings parts is easier.

I am using the term micron because everyone understands it... The term is actually suggestive and means very little to how a filter works... Even when speaking in terms of "nominal" and "absolute" micron its generic as 1, 2, 10 or 40 means nothing to flow and filtration... the beta rating is what matters.

A filters beta rating measures efficiency of filtration with flow... Being that a standard automotive oil filter starts life a "10 micron oil filter" using a 15 on an engine and expecting improvement would not be the way to go. The key to low micron filtration is in the design of the filter being glass, paper, synthetic or ceramic elements... With the newer generation filters it is possible to go as low as 5-8 micron filtration in a full flow filter without creating high head / bypass conditions... thats a big filter... but its also a big truck...

As for tapping into the system... If you will study in and around the filter and cooling housing you will notice there is a flow pattern so it is possible to tap into one side and return on the other. There will be bypass but there is always bypass on a system, for example (trying to recall the numbers) I think the 2 bypasses currently in the system are 28psi (note I have a failing memory at times)... with 50-90 psi operating pressure there is a large portion of the oil which passes by the filters.. this is normal and holds true on most engines I've worked with.

This subject is something I've spent a considerable amount of time studding... I've learned far more about oil systems and filtration than I ever wanted to know but if your going to play with your engines blood supply I think its best to have a reasonable idea of what your getting into. If I am going to build something I want it to be bullet proof and work as intended especially after spending the past six months and over 10k in cash building my truck... the LAST thing I want to do is blow the engine over some half thought out bright idea I dreamt up. In doing this I would like to come away with a "system" that will not only work for me but will work for everyone reguardless of climate or the likes... Not that I plan on getting rich or weaseling my way into anyone's wallet but if I can come up with some marketable ideas from my build I would like to produce them for everyone...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spoke with a tech at Parmatic this morning and got some answers...

1) The oil filters for the Multifuel were designed and built to specifications provided by the engineers, who designed the engine. The micron rating of the Parmatic 690058 (Purolator 65374, Wix 051596) is 25. They could have made them 1 micron if so specified.

2)The micron spec is based on bearing clearances and the oil pump and bypass valve are designed for the 25 micron rating.
A smaller micron rating may provide no filtering at all with all oil being bypassed also lowering the oil pressure.

3)Equivalent filters sold by NAPA, Carquest etc are not built to the original specifications and may not be exact replacements.

I for one will stop using NAPA/Carqest equivalents and stick to original spec filters.

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm. I wonder how easy it is to get to either end of the main oil gallery, and if there is a hex-type plug there to unscrew. That would be a place to plumb a preluber into. I note the oil pressure sender is also mounted suspiciously near the main gallery. How about there?

tbrenner

The bypass valve should be able to be modified to work with an upgraded filter system. I'm guessing there is a spring that controls the bypass valve and if that is so it could be changed to a heavier spring. A good way to check your upgraded filter system would be to mount a pressure guage before and after the filters and check for a pressure drop. To me 5 micron sounds better than 20 or 25 micron. As soon as I get my truck (waiting on EUC) this will be my first project and hope I can come up with an adapter to make this a bolt on conversion.

devilman96

You don't have to modify the valves... Its a matter of having filters with the correct flow parameters. You can interchange from 50M to 5M with no pressure problems provided you have the correct flow designed into the system... As I said before... it just leads to a larger filter to handle the lower ratings. This is where the term "beta" becomes so important in messing with something like this.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Called Parmatic again this morning and asked about the beta factor. It was not available until the 70's with the advances in computer technology. No numbers exsist for the original filters.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OPCOM in one of my past post I said that I felt the oil sender would be a good place.You got one put it there.
What ever you think Devilman. But you need to study a little more on the bypass system. That is not how it works. Read my post on the matter and you will see nothing ever bypasses inless there is a blockage.

devilman96

But you need to study a little more on the bypass system. That is not how it works. Read my post on the matter and you will see nothing ever bypasses inless there is a blockage.
*sigh*.... I generally avoid addressing people directly when I have a difference in opinion. As simple human nature it makes people defensive and is generally seen as provocative. On the other hand this is the second time you've told me to go study something...

Pick up the phone... call Herc, Wix and Baldwin... Send out some emails... Pester D Doyle (sorry David) Speak to the people whom build and at one time produced the LD... Talk to some fluid engineers... Dig up the research information on the filtration and oil system... Study what Centennial, White and Oliver did... Find the DoD information which led to the engines history and development... Research why the canister filters were opted for over spin on's... Buy some flow and pressure testing equipment and hook it up to your truck... build a few proto types... have oil sampling done... and after 8 or so months of slamming your head into that wall... Come back and talk to me about it intelligently please.

Otherwise... Please feel free to express your opinion... share with the rest of us your thoughts.... agree to agree and agree to disagree... help make the site the great place it is... but do me a favor and don't directly address me again unless you can provide me the time, effort and research into a subject on a equal level.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want the nappa oil filter # for the one micron full flow filter.
In my boat the oil temps. reach 260* wot and after cooler back to bearings 190*
Thats why when you guys do figer out the remote filter the lines can not be made up by the hyd.shop. You must use high temp oil line.
If someone could show me a pic. of what the engine without the oil filter and cooler looks like I may be able to help. Some people try to over think this kinda stuff and the simple answer is right there.
If you take off the filter cooler is there a port where the oil comes from the oil pump.
When I look at mine it looks like there are two bolts across from each outher. This is where a plate with a threaded port will be used to go to remote filter.
Same thing on return think there is a port with two bolts across from each outher so another threaded plate.
Once again goood luck just trying to tap in. You must divert.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks