• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check Your Tires

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a look at this bad boy. This was on my trailer last fall. It was on the inside, so who know how long it's been that way. Tread looked great.
Okay, I'll admit it.....You zit is bigger than my zit......;)

ARYankee

All tires leak air and at one point I had heard on average what the amount is in a month. It is really good to keep an eye on our tires especially us folks in the south where it is Hot.

Barrman

I am reading the thread Chris. I went 2437 miles a few weeks ago taking my Scouts to summer camp in Colorado. I had 2 spares for the truck and 2 spares for the trailer. Besides having a tire that was checked the night before go from 65 psi down to 20 psi the first 150 miles. We stopped for fuel as the sun was coming up in Ft. Worth and I noticed it looked low, added air and checked it every stop for the next week without any more loss. We had no tire issues. It was kind of nice doing a trip without a flat.

I have gone to nylon cord bias ply tires on my non MV trailers. Mainly because they can sit for longer times than the steel cord radials. That has solved most of my trailer flat issues.

gungearz

It might be a little costly but I run Slime in my tires for a little insurance and a peace of mind. I still check my tires on trips over 75 miles and I visually look at them for local runs. I haven't added air to them in 6 months, other then when I do some offroading. They still hold at 50psi.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'm very paranoid about tires and brakes.

The wife's lil SUV is an 04 yr model and has about 11,000 miles on it but the tires are over 8yrs old. They "look" good as new but I'm gonna replace them all due to age.

On the funny side she drove it to the store last week (about 2 miles round trip) and complained that she needs new brakes because they make an awful sound when she applies them!!
Of course, the rotors were rusty and the pads were just trying to clean em up a little.:cookoo:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a look at this bad boy. This was on my trailer last fall. It was on the inside, so who know how long it's been that way. Tread looked great.
Okay, I'll admit it.....You zit is bigger than my zit......;)

This reminds me of a scene from the movie KINDERGARDEN COP....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaTO8_KNcuo[/media]

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:​

zout

Great subject to bring up Warthog.

I have hard copies of this analysis - but here is a link to FREE info for those who wish to partake:
http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com/publications/ra_v10_i2/pdf/ra10_1_askdoc.pdf

I say great subject as I just came in from collecting DOT info from my tire pile to head to retreading this afternoon. 57 tires in the pile and I know of at least 14 of them are scrap due to low air pressure.

$238 replacement
$89 for a casing
That equals right off the bat $4578.00 loss to replace - due to FREE AIR if a driver would have taken time to do their job with an air gauge.

Time at re-capping will tell the rest of the story - but tires are a major cost.

Enjoy the reading material and I hope you can get some help with this material to diagnois any tire failure you may have.

Katahdin

Meh. Why worry about the tires when you can still roll on a perfectly good rim?

I took this photo last October at the Newport, Maine McDonald's parking lot. I also like the owner's system for securing the tarp.

Attachments

SMOKEWAGON66

I always kick my tires before going anywhere. Although you may not always be able to see when a tire is near catostrophic failure. One particular time that comes to mind, in Alaska in 2000, I was on a recovery mission, by myself in a M931 with a M172 lowboy. I was going to pickup a 10K forklift that was at Ft. Greely and the operator was there. On the way back we stopped for lunch. On my walk around before departing, I saw I had 2 broken wheel studs right next to each other..thats a deadline...plus I dont like driving with broken lugs on a steer tire. The truck that came to recover my trailer was a M932 with super singles on it...about 10 miles from home I thought I saw a small puff of smoke come from his right rear wheel. Before I could say anything, the tire basically exploded into a million peices throwing rubber about 50 feet into the air. Once stopped, we found that the sidewalls had decentigrated leaving the steel chord ply and the tread wrapped around the axle. Took us about 2 hours just to get the rubber and rim off that truck. I saw the driver do a full walk around after hooking my trailer, so I know either he didnt see a problem or there wasnt one to be seen because it was inside the tire...who knows.

gungearz

thanks for your service brother.... I am a truck driver and yes indeed. There is no way to tell when a tire is going to blow. That's why we just kick them and hope for the best. If they jiggle like jello then you got lucky not to have that tire blow on the road.

RangerBob

A few years ago I had a fairly new set of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors on my dually work truck. Most of them began to blister up as in the OP. It seemed to start happening under load and at highway speeds. I think that under those conditions the internal air temperature (and therefore pressure) got high enough that, due to a manufacturing defect, the air forced itself between the outer layers of sidewall rubber, which included the super-duper Silent Armor Durawall sidewall layer. Sometimes the blisters would deflate after parking, especially over a cold night. Being in the middle of nowhere, I kept driving with them and eventually a couple of them popped. Just a big BANG from the blister and no total tire deflation. I suspect my tires were part of this recall, and maybe yours are as well...

Voluntary Recall | Goodyear Tires

Last edited:

gungearz

Wow.... That was a very expensive choice of tire to run on a dually. I didn't think those tires were rated heavy duty for a 1 ton truck. I probably would've been in the same boat as you but I got rid of the truck when it started needing things.

gungearz

They just wanted to make a sale. I just checked the good year site for the silent armor and it strickly says they are for light duty trucks. Maybe they changed it over time...

RangerBob

The image I posted was a screen shot from their webpage this morning. For the 2009 Chev Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab Long Bed Dually, it says Wrangler Silent Armors. For my new truck, a 2011 Chev Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab Long Bed Single, it says no to the Silent Armors. I guess Goodyear considers the 2009 dually a light duty truck in need of armor! :whistle:

Anyway, I think I see the Silent Armor badging on the tires in the OP. Hopefully they are on the recall list and he gets a brand spankin new set of shoes! :jumpin:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tire explosion

I had to share this. It's brutal but shows the explosive force a larger tire can contain........ The tire looks about the size I run on my dually and I had no idea they would go bang like that.

The following video is described below.

""""After a failed robbery this dude slashes the store owner's tire and literally gets his shirt blown off his body from the tire explosion.""""

Karma At It's Finest Hour Video

Check your tires!

I had to share this. It's brutal but shows the explosive force a larger tire can contain........ The tire looks about the size I run on my dually and I had no idea they would go bang like that.

The following video is described below.

""""After a failed robbery this dude slashes the store owner's tire and literally gets his shirt blown off his body from the tire explosion.""""

Karma At It's Finest Hour*Video

Check your tires!

My favorite part was the blood all over the ground after he gets up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks