• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chemical Shelter Trailers

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Littlebob......Since no one has showed me the color of their money I am preparing to scrap out the one in my shop and eventually the others.
All of the parts are there and I have not cut or removed anything. I turned the engine over with a breaker bar so it is not locked up.
I have not tried to crank it yet because I want to pull the plugs and spray some oil in the cylinders before I run it.
According to the meter there is only 28 hours on it.
There is another complete one that I have not touched that still has everything stowed in the proper places.
I may post a few more pics of how it looks with all the covers removed.
If you are still interested in one PM me and we will discuss it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Are the actual tents any good?
If you are refering to the inflatable shelter I have not removed it from it's protective cover yet.
If the engine runs and the belts are not dry rotted I am going to try to inflate the shelter (if I can convince #2 son to assist Dad).
There are several aluminum poles that appear to be some sort of support frame.
I have the manual on CD and will try to print out a few of the pages that give instructions for setting it up.
I estimate there is enough aluminum and copper to recoup a chunk of my investment if I have to scrap them out and keep the trailers.
I am going to work on the jenny tomorrow if weather permits. I'll try to get the shelter out of it's cover and shoot a few pics.

littlebob

OK, I've purchased one from wreckerman and have to get it home. I've got an 01 Suburban with 5.3lL (1/2 ton ) and towing package. I have purchased a pintle hitch for it and a set ov 12v lights to get it home. Supposably, the unit it weighs about 4K. Twenty years ago I hauled a Friend of my Dad's trailer full of belongings from BR to Raleigh NC with a 1/2 ton pickup w/305 and I would have to guess it was probably 6K or better. The trip pretty much wasted the transmission a couple of weeks after we got it back to BR. Anybody halve any helpful hints or suggetions before I start this adventure.
Thanks,
littlebob

Attachments

jkelly66

4k but thats rolling weight so there should be no problem. I would plan ahead for breaking and watch other people but that gos without saying. If I am correct these are built on an M105 you will need to make sure you have the big pintle and on a suburban elivat the hook some so you dont drag the ground. Make sure your tranny is up to date service wise. You should be ok. Looking forward to hearing about your trip and Maybe see pics
John
PS. one more thing mack sure you put that pin in the hook once you have it hitched I have sen alot of these come loose just because someone forgot to put the pin back in.

littlebob

I just ordered it from northern tool today. If it looks smaller than the one on my Deuce I will proably remove the one from my Deuce and mount it. If anyone knows the height of the hitch on the M105 when sitting level it would help me get all bolted up in advance.
Thank's
littlebob

mangus580

Bob, its not going to be as big as the one on the deuce, but it should work. Also, the deuce one will not mount on your reciever hitch at all...

littlebob

Thanks, I'm not sure when I'll try to make the trip, but want plan as much before hand as possible. I will be working around wreckermans schedule and figure a day to get there and assess the situation, hopefully get back in a much longer day with an extra planned off work if something goes wrong.

papercu

trailers

I use one of the hitch ext like your second pic on my 1/2 ton pickup, I've tuned mine over to get the max height and the trailer is still at a good tilt but they are no problem hauling. I've towed two of those type trailers home and I've towed a 9000lbs trailer and the transmission is still fine.
On the pintle I've used one from a M151 jeep for years then bought one of those combo types with a 2" ball. Good luck!

citizensoldier

If you need to you can flip the eye on the trailer to help. 1 1/2 inch wrench, some heat, 5 lb sledge, and some liquid wrench products. you should have no trouble hauling one with what you mentioned. Note to self... Make sure the parking brake is not stuck or left on, on the trailer..

littlebob

papercu,
Thanks for pointing out the obvious. It wasn't obvious at he time. I measured about 34". I'm working on the date and will plan on taking a few pic's on the way.
thanks
littlebob

Michael

Were these at a big salvage yard on 72? If so I think I saw them on the way to Atlanta. They were closed when I went by. Do they have much MV stuff?

littlebob

I got mine last weekend, Thanks Steve(towmnan2277), for being there if I got into trouble. Yesterday I got a co-worker to help me lift the
cover and get access to the generator-motor of the beast. Today I removed all of the plugs and one was all rusted( bad thing). I drained oil/water
out of crankcase and decided It's probably not going to be used as orignally designed. Don't want anybody to think I would be able to get it up and going(sitting for fifteen years), without some work, but the cost to repair the motor alone makes me decide not ot pursue it. I bought it understanding that I was getting an M105A2 trailer with possibly some other usable goodies and a lot of aluminum scrap. I feel I payed a reasonable
price for ti either way because the trailer is in really dood shape (rebuild 1990) and the the scrap will proably pay for most of it. DON'T WANT ANYONE TO THINK THERE IS ANY HARD FEELINGS, just gambled and lost. I will probably just cover it up for now, but if anyone needs any parts off of it before I start scrapping let me know. It's probably a blessing anyway, If I got sidetracked to long with the shelter it would just prolong finishing my truck.

littlebob

Well iinstead of working on the Deuce cab I worked on freeing up the engine onthe shellter trailer today. I was able to get it to turn over but I cuouldn't get any spark. It's probably just as well, because there was a lot of rusty crud that came out of the wet(rusty) cylinder. Maybe I won't
give up on it yet. I maybe able to just replace the one cylinder and piston. Anybody have troubleshooting tips on the magneto ignition.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Were these at a big salvage yard on 72? If so I think I saw them on the way to Atlanta.
The trailers are located in Alabama. I am helping a guy get rid of them that has no experience with MV's. He bought them at an auction a few years ago and just sort of forgot them and stuck them out in a field.

He gave me a timeline to get rid of them. After that he is going to scrap them for the aluminum and cut them up. Only mine and Littlebob's were complete. The rest have various pieces missing. All of them still have the engines and fuel tanks.

Unless I can learn to navigate EBAY I probably won't sell any more of them.

mangus580

Littlebob, these engines were very common to have the points crud up. The one I had (and sold) on a 10kw genset, had the condensor connections get all cruddy too.

Dont give up yet, these engines are very hardy! Saturn has the cyl and heads, & such pretty cheap.

littlebob

no spark

Thank's Mike. I probably won't give up on it yet. Pissed off most of the day tinkering wiith it and still have no spark. Carefully marked where the magneto mated to the engine, but didn't think to put it on TDC before removing. There is a white paint mark on the gear on the magneto, but have no idea how to put it back on in time. Did some looking on the site and the web to find info, but no luck so far. I will probably try and take the magneto aprt and see if I can figure out whats wrong with it. Anybody know what kind of pieces will fly out when I do?
littlebob

Attachments

mangus580

RE: no spark

Take out the 4 screws that hold the cap on, not much to fly apart. do a search in the TM section for the 4A084 engine, you will find the TMs needed. Locating TDC shouldnt be too hard... the thing I couldnt figure out in the TM was which plug wires went where. Had to place a phone call to cranetruck to get it wired right :) (thanks again Bjorn!!!)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks