• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chevrolet 5 Ton conversion

chevrolet5ton

hello all, i started with a chevrolet kodiak medium duty truck with a 496ci bbc and an allison automatic. truck ran and drove. then i installed a pair of 5ton rockwells under the truck. also installed a divorced 205 transfer case with 1480 ujoint outputs. i have hemtt 20" wheels and 53" michelins xzl's. i do all my own fab work as i own a machine shop. truck is rough in put together at this point and starts runs and drives. still trying to get disc brakes under the truck at the moment. and then body work and paint.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from OKC.

Throw some green paint on her and she'll be good to go!!!

Looking forward to more pics.

chevrolet5ton

scooter, I used military 5t0n Rockwell 4x4 axles, and 53" Michelins. no lift kit required. edit; stock Kodiak frame and suspension with rockwells installed.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't a NP205 a little weak for that outfit? I know they are tough as nails in a pickup truck but it seems like a truck that big would need at least a deuce t-case if not a 5-ton case.

chevrolet5ton

ill take more pics tomorrow guys. future plans for the truck is nice pinion disc brakes. then paint and body. then custom fabbed front and rear steel bumpers with 15000lb winch. a snorkel, and some other minor mods. I live in a rural community and will drive it often.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pinion brakes are fine for slow off road speeds but they don't hold up well for faster road speeds. They just turn too fast and not enough surface area to hold up trying to stop at higher speeds.

chevrolet5ton

good to know, thank you for the heads up guys. the rotors I chose are wilwood 1605864 and Porsche brembo 4 piston calipers. with Kevlar pads. in preliminary measurements the wilwoods will also fit at the wheel hubs and I could also make caliper brackets out on the ends instead of the middle. ill check into getting two more rotors. I have extra calipers.

chevrolet5ton

Isn't a NP205 a little weak for that outfit? I know they are tough as nails in a pickup truck but it seems like a truck that big would need at least a deuce t-case if not a 5-ton case.
I actually checked out a deuce tcase in the beginning. it wasn't any larger or beefier than the 205. they are actually very similar architecture.

Dblbeard

good to know, thank you for the heads up guys. the rotors I chose are wilwood 1605864 and Porsche brembo 4 piston calipers. with Kevlar pads. in preliminary measurements the wilwoods will also fit at the wheel hubs and I could also make caliper brackets out on the ends instead of the middle. ill check into getting two more rotors. I have extra calipers.
Extra Callipers??? Most people don't have those kind of extra's laying around. How many do you have extra????

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks