• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chevy 4x4 Dump (K30) Recovered

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel mileage will probably still suck with the TBI but it will start easier. Glad you made it back safe Kenny.
I sure hope that's not the case. I purchased a new K30 in 1986. 454 and the last yr for a carb. It got atrocious mileage. The following year a friend bought an 87 V30 crew cab. TBI 454 and her mileage was half again better than mine. If this doesn't help, I may return it to dual tanks, as it is, the right side tank was removed to make place for a large under bed box.

86m1028

87 was NOT the last year for a carb. I have seen numerous 89 square body chevys with carbs from the factory.
I do not know if it was continued until the last year of the square body (91).
Even seen an 89 California emissions carbed 350 with 2 smog pumps (factory).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All these years I thought 86 was the last year. Until I researched this truck, I would have sworn that it came factory with TBI. I now see that I have been wrong all this time. Standing corrected. As far as rust. I hate it as well. This truck is going to need cab corners soon. The bed deal was confusing at first but I think I figured it out. When the truck was built, it really looks as if the bottom was left bare steel. Building anothe r flatbed on the existing hoist will be easy and reasonable. Fleming Metals out west (CA me thinks) manufacures stamped sides, ends and crossbraces very reasonable and they work dilligently to find the best LTL freight costs.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed title, moved thread. I do now have the CUCV towing attachments for the front. Hopefully by Oct I can scare up the brush guard. I think I'm going to use deuce rear shackles and mounts for the back as well.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'd be careful in offering that machine shop's services. It will result in either breaking (braking) this posters bank account or wearing out his welcome at said shop. Here is what one of my options are!

http://flemingmetal.com/truck-body-parts/flatbed-truck-pocket-rails
oh you'll pay..... Yeah on parts like that they make dozens at a time you can't make them as cheap as you can buy them, I have to remind the shop sometimes "we can make a bolt and nut from scratch but why would we? But if there's that one part you cant find.....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So.......I finally got this thing in the garage. Replaced shoes, pads wheel cylinders, hold down hardware, one backing plate, all hoses, all the rear steel lines and the master cylinder. Basically left the original combination valve and the front steel lines which look fresh. Works like a dream. Bad news is there is more frame rust than I like. Wheelspinner got me a super nice back half and next year I'll back half it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More on the truck saga. Used it in July to move a bunch of mulch at church. The rear brakes were dragging on the way home unbeknownst to me. Found out when I got home, parked it and planned to deal with it later.

Moved it a few times but is sat for about 6 weeks. After that the right rear was locked up solid. Did my best to free it and after a giant bang, thought I did but didn't.

We got it up by the house last week and got the brake issue fixed. Took it for a test drive and heard some clunking and banging. Once I got in the neighbor Hood it just stopped going. Locked in the hubs and it drug itself home.

Fast forward to yesterday and today, I found the issues. Check out the Carnage in the pics. Note that it has (had) a gov bomb in the back.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you think the dragging brake caused this failure?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do Eric. I think the bang I heard in the yard was either the axle or gov bomb.

During the test drive I believe more carnage occurred. My feeling is that the gov bomb did it's best to drive just the one axle and failed. Of course, it could have happened vice versa as well.

As luck has it, I have another 14 bolt at Wheelspinners house but the carrier break is wrong. I picked up an open carrier and have a used axle shaft on the way. Later I'll pull it back down and add the Detroit NoSPIN that I have a Pat's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks