• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chevy axel question

riggermedic

I have an m1010 with axels that supposedly came from a suburban with 3.73 gears. I have entertained the thought of returning it to stock. I know very little about the specifics concerning axels and lockers so any advise is appreciated. I have a friend of a friend that has a dually axel from a late 80s Chevy truck, he is chronically short on cash so I am sure I could make a deal.
would this be compatible? What gear ratios did these come with? I am aware I would need to match ratios to the front axel. Ballpark what is this worth in good condition?
I also have seen an ad for cucv axels here locally but the seller wants 750 for the rear and 1900 for the front Dana 60 (both with 4.56 gears) this sounds kinda high to me?
i am just looking at options and ideas with some education if anyone could lend their experience

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dually axle is a Dana axle and is not a drop in. $2K seems to be the going rate for a CUCV axle pair, and is why any CUCV no matter how destroyed is worth $2K. These axles are very popular with the rock crawling crowd.

86m1028

The dually axle is a Dana axle and is not a drop in. $2K seems to be the going rate for a CUCV axle pair, and is why any CUCV no matter how destroyed is worth $2K. These axles are very popular with the rock crawling crowd.
Why would the dually axle NOT be a direct bolt in ?
The 1010 is on a 1 ton frame, the springs pads should be the same.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm assuming that the dually is a rear correct? There were 2 axles that used dual rear wheels. The Dana 70 came out of a dual wheel pickup and is very wide. You wouldn't be able to use the outside tire and just running the inner would be hard on the bearings. There was also a 14 bolt cab and chassis axle. It is very narrow but you would still have to chop the body to fit it in. Technically, both will bolt in.

86m1028

I'm assuming that the dually is a rear correct? There were 2 axles that used dual rear wheels. The Dana 70 came out of a dual wheel pickup and is very wide. You wouldn't be able to use the outside tire and just running the inner would be hard on the bearings. There was also a 14 bolt cab and chassis axle. It is very narrow but you would still have to chop the body to fit it in. Technically, both will bolt in.
Not trying to hijack this thread but do you not think the narrow 14 bolt would fit under the 1010 body ?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will.not. There exists a pic of a truck on here somewhere with one installed. The body was chopped. I have 2 trucks with C&C rears and an M1010. Would love to get one wedged under my 1010.

86m1028

It will.not. There exists a pic of a truck on here somewhere with one installed. The body was chopped. I have 2 trucks with C&C rears and an M1010. Would love to get one wedged under my 1010.
I figured you could defiantly answer that question.
I still enjoy seeing your "dually" m1031 !

riggermedic

Yes the dually is a rear. The reason I bring it up is I think I can help a friend and get it cheap.
It all started looking at my springs... They are sagging. Then I think new springs, then lift, then while I'm there...axels, then why not duals? I also have access to a gear vendor overdrive... What a snowball.
in the end I blame you recovery 4x4, I saw your thread with your 1010 towing the secm on the trailer:drool::drool: I also have a source for the secm body. Thinking a house on wheels towing my garage on wheels??? This would be the icing on top to push my apartment manager over the edge.(1009, 101a2, 1010, secm trailer and a car)
my other option would be carnac's deuce... I saw it while buying stuff from 98G... Maybe that would slow down my severe case of OD fever?
in the end I would like to learn more about the cucv' before I launch into the big 3 axel stuff.
how do I know if they are too wide?

sschaefer3

There is a guy in Phoenix named Odie on CL that has many pairs of CUCV 60/14 bolt axles. He knows what they are and wants 2500 for the set.

riggermedic

Funny you mention Odie, I bought some parts from him (great guy) and come to find out he was the one who brought the 1010 down from Washington and swapped out the axels to begin with. Then sold to a guy who sold to me.
I don't know what a semi float is? I guess I could call him and get more info, but was more curious about the dually fitting. I guess now that I know it won't fit the question is answered.
thanks for all the info up to this point.

Chaski

Honestly $2500 for a good pair isn't too crazy. For that price I would want to open them both up, do a visual check and check backlash with a dial indicator. You can find cheaper if time is on your side. Once in a blue moon a K30 will hit a pick-n-pull yard, slightly more often a dually will. Trying to find a unicorn is easier than a cheap kingpin Dana 60.

This is how my axle costs broke down.
$800 for a used DRW GM kingpin Dana 60 with 4.10 gears out of a dually pickup.
$300 for new SRW hubs with rotors.
$100 for new bearings.

$200 for rear SRW 14 bolt FF with 4.10 gears and evil govloc.
$125 for another 14 bolt FF that had an open carrier (you need an open one for a Detroit locker)
$550 for a new Detroit locker

Grand total... $2,075.00

I could have spent less if I did not buy the axle with the govloc, but even trying to be thrifty I spent about $2000 and drove all over to pick up everything, then a few months later I took out the 4.10 gears and put in 4.88 gears.

The rear axle picture you posted is of a semi floater. A full floater will have a spindle and a hub. The drive flange of the axle bolts to the hub, and the axle supports no weight. A semi floating axle will have a single outboard bearing and the axle supports the vehicle weight. A dually rear axle is full floater.

I think the GMC 3/4 ton pickups and suburban had full floater 14 bolts (K2500), and the Chevy 3/4 ton K20 pickups and suburban had the semi floater 14 bolt rear ends.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks